Crown & Anchor Program Revisions - join the merged discussions here

ommboz

Looks like if you don't drink your still out of luck, nothing or is it 25% off a soda?

You are aware that RCI allows you to bring your own soda and water onboard? We don't drink that much either and have always brought a 12 pack of soda and a 12 pack of water when we check in for our cruise. Once in the stateroom, we ask our attendant to remove the items from the mini-fridge and load up our supplies. We have done this on every RC ship we've sailed on and have never be told otherwise. There is also another thread with this info as well. If you are a soda drinker, this may be more convenient than having to wait until a certain hour to enjoy a comp. or 25% off soda.

The letter we all received was well written and really addresses both the needs of the members as well as RCI. Thank you for listening. You earn kudos for addressing this so quickly. See you all on future sailings!!

Very interesting, it's ashame that so many people had to become so upset.

I think this fiasco is the cruising equivalent of "New Coke". Coke got all of their faithful customers back, my guess is that RCCL lost a lot of goodwill that will be difficult to regain.

We've already canceled two RCCL cruises and have no plans to switch back. We are looking forward to the Diamond events on the Radiance next year.

It is unfortunate but I think the horse is out of the barn. The bottom line is there is still no Diamond CL's where clients thought they would be and RCL hung tough. We are not that tied to a CL but where we come from a hand shake is honored. Losing a CL will not cause us to lose sleep but not living up to the hand shake does make us lose faith. To quote Mr.Goldstein's letter: "While we knew the reaction would be negative, it has been more negative than we anticipated"". I appears they knew they were violating hand shakes but they failed to recognize how many would recognize it? There are consequences to bad decisions and most of these could have been avoided by reinstating the CL, apologizing for taking the action without first understanding the effect it would have on it's loyal customer and then taking time to understand what would make loyal customers comfortable. Instead an Executive "patch" was made to the bad decision. Where we had a real good feeling for RC it is now gone and we are opening up our options to other lines or other types of vacations.

RC has gone from being "the Line" to "a Line".

Regarding the ones who attack customers who voice their objections to the ones who were disappointed. They are either looking for attention or being bullies as if you don't have a problem with what happened they don't belong in the same theads with people who do.

I agree, I was raised to believe that when all is said and done all you have left is your HONOR and NAME and if either one is TARNISHED then you have NOTHING left. So while RC has TRIED TO RECTIFY this mess, It has still left a bad taste in my mouth. Will I still cruise RC, probably, but it will never be my only choice from now on. I have attained Diamond Status and have NO REASON to reach Diamond Plus.

Very interesting, it's ashame that so many people had to become so upset.

We've already canceled two RCCL cruises and have no plans to switch back. We are looking forward to the Diamond events on the Radiance next year.

HUH??? Did you mean you "were" looking forward to the Diamond events on the Radiance next year?

Morning Kathryn,

No, you didn't hurt my feelings, and I do know that my dots irritate some, and they are OK by others.

It's interesting, I speak in thoughts.........with some pauses, almost like I write, unless I'm on my third martini!!:D

You have done an excellent job of making your point on keeping something special going for the Diamonds. In the end, that is what I'm also trying to achieve, if you take the time to search my posts.

I know that corporate has been bombarded with emails, snail mail, and phone calls, and I, for one, am quite pleased with the beginning results.

Expect, within the near future.........a revamping of the whole C & A program. My prayer is that Royal Caribbean continues a decent loyalty program..........as that is truly one of the reasons that they have had the success and repeat business.

The good news is that they have moved the deadline back, allowing more time to come up with some good solutions, and if you feel that Diamonds on Cruise Critic represent between 4 and 15% of any cruise....of the total number of Diamonds cruising.........it would have been bedlam come July 1st.

This thread is not dead! Hopefully, instead of it being such a punching bag by some, now is the time to try to help RCCL with constructive thoughts, while our discussion continues.

Rick

Hi Rick................Glad there are no hurt feelings!!!!!;)

I agree with your points above except for your percentages. Seems the CL has had more CCers than 4 to 15%. Maybe it's just the cruises we take.

I also have not posted previously on the changes, but was very upset since we just became diamond in January and a stockholder in the company. I think this is a reasonable compromise, particularly since I like champagne and wine.:D

I do wish that since this does seem to be about revenue to the company, that they had just said so rather than saying it was simply about overcrowding in the CL.

I'm not happy about the roped off areas on the ship for guests staying in suites. I've always like the way everyone was treated the same no matter what level cabin you stayed in.:rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks RCL for listening to our complaints.

I actually started putting my Maui Jim's in the safe when I would leave the cabin in the evening just because they ended up on one too many towel animals.

I have a pair of $500 Maui Jim prescription sunglasses and they too have been on many towel animals. I thought it was cute and fun. I didnt mind, they're just sunglasses.

I did not take the letter to mean that there will be a nightly event on the Majesty, Monarch, Vision, Rhapsody and Grandeur for diamond members. There is no CL so no nightly gathering spot for the suite and D+ members. Why would there be a Diamond event in that case? He specifically points out in the letter that there is no CL on those ships. I think he's talking solely about the ships that have a CL, but no dedicated Diamond lounge.

I think the new notice on line is poorly worded but that the intent is that nothing will be going on in the evenings on those five ships.

I just received an email today from Adam Goldstein regarding the updated changes for the Diamond Members. He must think we are all children and is trying to hand us a cream donut with no cream in it!!!! By giving us 25% off on drinks during a special cocktail hour and serving wine and cheese each day, he obviously doesn't get it! :eek:

One of the most wonderful things about Royal Caribbean is that after you reach the status of becoming a Diamond Member you look forward to every cruise with them....the wonderful conceirge service, you can have an expresso, cappucino, coffee, watch t.v., mingle with fellow diamond members because you have alot more in common with Diamond Members then you do with suite owners.

The Diamond Members have been around alot longer, know alot more, and appreciate the cruiseline more than the cruisline obviously knows. And because of that this is what Royal Caribbean fails to understand.

We have been loyal, we have been the backbone, and at one time you did appreciate us by giving us conceirge service, and of course, the cocktail hour from 5 to 8 every night of the cruise. Also, alot of diamond members don't even drink, they shared sodas and talked about past cruises and new cruises. This is what your screwing around with. It has nothing to do with wine and cheese tasting and 25% off cocktails. It has to deal with good loyal people who have come back year after year. If these people were smart, they would do what I'm doing, by staying far away from a cruiseline whose only thought is the bottom line.

If the diamond members would stay away even for one cruise, I think Royal Caribbean would then see the light and surely reverse itself from its petty ways that are going to be taken place in September 2009. :cool:

Why doesn't Royal Caribbean GET IT! It seems they don't even realize there are more competitive cruiselines and pricing out there then ever before! :mad:

Not to be a pain, but how is this different than having the overflow lounges? It sounds like it was about money vs. room.

I have no dog in this fight as I am not a diamond, just trying to figure out the logic.

If they open up a secondary CL for Diamonds, then I guess I am "sorta" ok with it. As long as I get the same benefits that I do in a CL, then it seems like RC is trying to accomodate the increasing number of D and D+ members. I dont really like the breakfast idea. If I want breakfast then I will go to the dining room or the windjammer.

Concerning letter #2 (which I have not yet received), I agree with whomever said that it was most likely a strategy they took... let's cut out the entire CL, let's see how bad the reaction is, and if need be, we'll provide some sort of VIP lounge with reduced price drinks. In addition, the very fact that they can add a VIP lounge somewhere on each ship flies directly in the face of the overcrowding reason for making the change in the first place. While overcrowding is an issue at times on certain ships, it isn't an issue if you provide some sort of overflow lounge. If it were entirely about overcrowding, then the drinks would have been back for free, not at a discount.

Having said all that, I am in general pleased with the response by RCCL. Sure, I think it was a compromise that in reality they could have come with at first. But I have taken negotiation classes and I know how it works. Ask for the most and if you need to settle, it will be somewhere in the middle. If you ask for what you really want, then you're forced to move from that point. Giving something back always makes most (not all, as we see in here) feel good.

So, for me it's all good. The truth is that this was an eye-opener for me. Will we now abandon the all-inclusive we're looking at and go on Explorer in August? Especially now that we'll have CL access (prior to the new 9/1) date? I don't know. We need to talk about it. But no longer will I just be loyal to RCCL over this program and these perks. Now I really do want to try other things and establish my preferences based on my tastes, not on a loyalty program. And if RCCL is the best and remains the best in my opinion, then and only then will I be back to stay.

I am not sure if this has been covered previously, but do you think this will be an over 18 only event? One drawback for us of the concierge lounge was that our children (13 and 15) could not come and sit with us. Since this will take place in a 'normal' bar area and our children will also be diamond (since they have been on the same cruises as us) will they be able to sit with us while we have a pre-dinner drink?

Actually, Bill, for perhaps the first time, I am going to disagree with you.

It is like a labor negotiation. Workers ask for a 10% raise. Management counters with 2%. Workers are outraged. Demand 8%. Management counters with 6%. Final agreement: 4% - both sides feel that they gained over the other.

People (in this case, whining C & A members), need to feel that they "won something back."

If RC had offered this in the first place, there would have been just as much complaining. RC really HAD to "threaten" or announce that it was removing the whole deal, then "give in" to a 25% discount deal, to appease people.

People would have been INCENSED that their FREE booze was taken away and being replaced by a MEASLY 25% discount.

It's all about the psychology.

:)

Sssshhhh. Don't tell the whiners.:)

I just received an email today from Adam Goldstein regarding the updated changes for the Diamond Members. He must think we are all children and is trying to hand us a cream donut with no cream in it!!!! By giving us 25% off on drinks during a special cocktail hour and serving wine and cheese each day, he obviously doesn't get it! :eek:

One of the most wonderful things about Royal Caribbean is that after you reach the status of becoming a Diamond Member you look forward to every cruise with them....the wonderful conceirge service, you can have an expresso, cappucino, coffee, watch t.v., mingle with fellow diamond members because you have alot more in common with Diamond Members then you do with suite owners.

The Diamond Members have been around alot longer, know alot more, and appreciate the cruiseline more than the cruisline obviously knows. And because of that this is what Royal Caribbean fails to understand.

We have been loyal, we have been the backbone, and at one time you did appreciate us by giving us conceirge service, and of course, the cocktail hour from 5 to 8 every night of the cruise. Also, alot of diamond members don't even drink, they shared sodas and talked about past cruises and new cruises. This is what your screwing around with. It has nothing to do with wine and cheese tasting and 25% off cocktails. It has to deal with good loyal people who have come back year after year. If these people were smart, they would do what I'm doing, by staying far away from a cruiseline whose only thought is the bottom line.

If the diamond members would stay away even for one cruise, I think Royal Caribbean would then see the light and surely reverse itself from its petty ways that are going to be taken place in September 2009. :cool:

Why doesn't Royal Caribbean GET IT! It seems they don't even realize there are more competitive cruiselines and pricing out there then ever before! :mad:

I understand your post but I'll bet in no way shape or form will this go back to the way it was. The CL was overcrowded so yes-a plan B was going to have to come into play. Whoever posted that a plan b was already in the works was spot on. Take it all away first-see what happens and if it gets ugly-throw plan B out there.

At some point-the current and soon to be D's will have to except the fact that the CL will not be included as a 'perk.

I don't think he thinks you are children-just trying to have a solution to the overcrowding.

I just keep asking myself the same question over and over:

Could I enjoy a RCCL vacation without a CL?

Sure could!

I've stayed in a suite-it was not the be all and end all to my vacation having access to that room. Am I the only one who feels this way? :confused:

Hopefully, now with the change in the piggy backing of family members with cruise credits with tine it will help address some of the over crowding.

Is this wishful thinking? or has something been announced? If so, I've missed it. (I've been purposely avoiding these complaining threads, but thought I'd jump in after I received the email to see if that satisfies anyone.)

Archived