Celebrity Select Dining is Here

RLM77

A concern of mine is that for this style dining to really be succesful the ship has to be built for it.

The Renaissance ships, now with Oceania, Azamara and Princess (did I get them all?) were built for this ... and so were the newer ships of the other lines who offer it.

Of course the upscale line's ships were built with that thought in mind too. You'll notice a lot more tables for 2 on these ships as well as the newer ships of the other lines.

A concern of mine is that for this style dining to really be succesful the ship has to be built for it.

The Renaissance ships, now with Oceania, Azamara and Princess (did I get them all?) were built for this ... and so were the newer ships of the other lines who offer it.

Of course the upscale line's ships were built with that thought in mind too. You'll notice a lot more tables for 2 on these ships as well as the newer ships of the other lines.

Royal Caribbean ships were not built with My Time in mind, but they have successfully implemented it.

If Celebrity Select is like Royal's My time, there will be no lines, no wait and no beepers. Those eating traditional will only see the Select when they arrive for late seating and walk by those already seated if they happen to be seated near this area. I've done it 4 times now on RCCL and it really can be done without any interruption to those eating at traditional 6:00 or 8:30.

One interesting observation on this topic, when rumors first started about MTD on Royal a few years ago, there were far more people opposed to the idea then I'm seeing here. I haven't gone back through all the posts again, but it seems pretty evenly split for those for or against.

I think this is great! However,how will Celebrity do it? Princess has been doing it for years, although they employ 2 unique dining rooms for "anytime" and a separate "main" dining room. They also generally offer 2 specialty restaurants as well.

I always "prepay" gratuitys so that its DONE! If we have an exceptional dining experience from specific employees, we provide "extra" gratuities at the end of the cruise!

Its just good service if you want to see a 9:00p show, that you can dine at 7:00p:)

Nope, it's still there on the Dining page under main dining arrangements, but I fully expect it to be pulled after X read this thread.:cool:

Under the Main Dining Arrangements heading on the main dining arrangements page it now says:

Whatever your desire, Celebrity is here to please. Our Main Dining Arrangements allow you to select the way you wish to be seated for dinner

The line "Whether you wish to dine when the mood strikes, or prefer a more traditional seating, Celebrity allows you to choose." is no longer there at least when I accessed their website before my posts today.

Oops sorry - I clicked on the heading and was taken to the main dining arrangements page. It still says what you posted next to the link that you click for the Main Dining Arrangements page. When you said heading, I thought you meant the heading on the main dining arrangements page. I know that when you clicked on the main dining arrangements page, it had the same line or very similar as you posted. My mistake about what you were referring to.

One interesting observation on this topic, when rumors first started about MTD on Royal a few years ago, there were far more people opposed to the idea then I'm seeing here. I haven't gone back through all the posts again, but it seems pretty evenly split for those for or against.

Your comment made me curious so I did read the entire thread again and listed screennames for those who are in favor and those who are against Select Time on this thread. Your 50/50 is way off. The percentage of screennames who made positve comments is 69% and 31% responded negatively. Those who I couldn't determine an opinion I did not include. Please note, I did not count posts, just put people under for or against.

I would be thrilled if they offered a flexible dining option ! I am of the same mind as other posters who feel that neither of the dining times offered currently suits my needs. 6¨is much too early and makes me feel very rushed and the second seating is too late , especially on the port intensive cruises I prefer. I like to go to bed by 10 or so and I enjoy dining and seeing the show. I also don´t like sleeping soon after a big meal.

I have ended up dining at the buffet and at the speciality resturants on my last 2 cruises for these reasons and tipping a wait staff that actually only served me less than 30% of the time (I gave them full tips before anyone freaks out...)

I like choices. I think offering the Traditional Dining for those who like it and Flex time for those who don´t would give us the best of both worlds.

JMHO.

I´d love for them to test on my June 27th Connie cruise (powers that be if you are reading this , how about it?)

Kim

I was not impressed or happy with anytime dining on Princess or HAL. Maybe X can do it better, maybe not.

While in theory anytime dining sounds great, in practice (in my experience anyway) it results in waiting for a table and indifferent service.

Like others have said, in the case of HAL and Princess, "traditional" dining is often not available when you make a reservation (even when made long in advance). Maybe this will not be case with X, we'll see.

Why would Celebrity even consider asking for an additional gratuity for this option when other lines offer it for free? I don't mind paying for a better menu and service at a specialty restaurant but paying for flexible dining for the same level of food and service quality as traditional seating, NOT!

Where did you see this on the Celebrity website? I did a search for select dining and nothing comes up. And it isn't offered as an option on my reservation, although it says "traditional dining" now. I love anytime dining also. Who says we want to eat at exactly the same time everyday?

Why would Celebrity even consider asking for an additional gratuity for this option when other lines offer it for free? I don't mind paying for a better menu and service at a specialty restaurant but paying for flexible dining for the same level of food and service quality as traditional seating, NOT!

The prepaid gratuity is just your regular amount of tips you would normally pay. There is nothing extra charged to you. It is added onto your invoice and paid when you make final payment.

I was not impressed or happy with anytime dining on Princess or HAL. Maybe X can do it better, maybe not.

While in theory anytime dining sounds great, in practice (in my experience anyway) it results in waiting for a table and indifferent service.

Like others have said, in the case of HAL and Princess, "traditional" dining is often not available when you make a reservation (even when made long in advance). Maybe this will not be case with X, we'll see.

I guess I don't understand why some assume Select Time would be like Princess and Hal, not Royal Caribbean.

I actually prefer a fixed dining because the waiter gets to know me and my desires and if he does a great job I can reward him with an extra tip. If I want an Ice tea right away or a beer when I get to the table, I only have to ask the first night.

My last 3 cruises were on Azamara which had open dining, no reservations. It worked ok, but I really believe that the staff works harder with fixed dining.

I've been on 24 cruises so my comments are based on experience.

I personally *hate* open seating dining, or whatever it's called.

Give me a fixed table, a time to arrive, and a guaranteed seat, and I'm happy.

Make me stand in line for food, and I'll point out that the Soviet Union collapsed for that very reason.

I travel single, and it's the structure of the dining experience that I enjoy. I did Azamara, with open seating, and found that fitting 700 guests into 370 seats doesn't work so well on busy port days.

If this is the only option on Celebrity, i'll look for another cruise line.

I actually prefer a fixed dining because the waiter gets to know me and my desires and if he does a great job I can reward him with an extra tip. If I want an Ice tea right away or a beer when I get to the table, I only have to ask the first night.

My last 3 cruises were on Azamara which had open dining, no reservations. It worked ok, but I really believe that the staff works harder with fixed dining.

I've been on 24 cruises so my comments are based on experience.[/quote

I could not agree more. I realize that we are all injecting our own opinions but I see no "broken wheel here". I like having a regular wait staff and dining companions. i guess it it because we have had nothing but great dining companions. I guess we have just been lucky...or maybe we just like people. you know it is funny but in all the cruises we have taken we always dine late and are among the last to leave the dining room. Socialization is what it is all about.

Charles

There are three ways to pay your gratuities - the default is that they are automatically added to seapass account - you must tip the minimum but you can increase any. The second choice is you can remove those auto-gratuities and pass out envelopes yourself. And the third choice is that you can prepay which means they are added to your final payment for your cruise and paid before you cruise. These you cannot remove.

Where did you see this on the Celebrity website? I did a search for select dining and nothing comes up. And it isn't offered as an option on my reservation, although it says "traditional dining" now. I love anytime dining also. Who says we want to eat at exactly the same time everyday?

A description of Select Dining appeared on Celebrity's website yesterday but the reference to it has been pulled.

For whatever it's worth, I e-mailed Celebrity yesterday and asked if Celebrity Select Dining would be available on my 10/23/09 Mercury cruise and received the following repy: "Celebrity Cruises will not be particiapting in the 'My Time' dining program. This is strictly a Royal Caribbean product. Celebrity Cruises will continue to have either first or second seating options." It is curious that the reply referred to "My Time" dining and not Celebrity Select Dining which I asked about in my e-mail to them. In any event it does not look like this is going to happen any time soon, if ever.

It says they did NOT answer your question! Why not??:confused:

We have had a lot of variation in the years we have been cruising. A Panama Canal passage to Chile on NCL before freestyle, with a waiter and assistant I would try to hire if I owned a great restaurant (and a Celebrity team just as good many years later), to NCL and Azamara freestyle.. I have given a lot of thought to the differences, and think I like fixed better.

JMHO

I'm going to see more of the USA.

Sorry cruiselines, I'll be fishing or driving for a few years!:cool:

Thanks everyone for your comments and insights on this topic. I guess I'll chime in.

My wife and I have been on 30+ cruises including HAL, RCL, Carnival, Celebrity, Princess and NCL (Freestyle and pre-Freestyle). On all but 2 cruises, we have stayed with the dining group originally assigned to us. It was how we started our cruising life in 1981 and it got us hooked on a different way of meeting new people and most of the time enjoying their company and swapping great stories (or tall tales;)).

My wife and I are gregarious and sitting alone at a table is the same as being at home (except the food is usually better there...I cook). When we are on vacation we enjoy off-beat people, they're funny. And at the end of a long excursion day or short day at sea, it's always fun to get our guests' reports of the day when getting back for dinner. Again, after 30+ cruises, we have always given people a chance and they usually have come through. I'll admit the first night can be doubtful. A little tolerance goes a long way and people usually have interesting lives with great stories. Remember, they may initially be doubtful about you as well. That notwithstanding, I can recall several open seatings for breakfast when we simply excused ourselves, citing an overwhelming urge to visit the buffet instead. Try enjoying your breakfast sitting next to a dirty ash tray. Sometimes, it just has to be done.

Finally, the fixed seating waitstaff has always been the best option to get what you want. My Pelegrino is there every evening. Whether it's the extra special breadsticks appearing nightly, skim milk for coffee without asking, remembering caff or decaff, special treatment for wine temperature or whatever, this kind of seating is the best chance to get it right and be truely pampered. The waitstaff remembering names, remembering a dining expectation or just being a little more than ice-breaking friendly is appreciated. However I do think the pre-paid gratuity does diminish some of this. But, I have read previously, industry-wide the amount of people NOT leaving tips was a scandal; it was not just a convenience for the cruiser. Remember when one could opt to charge tips to their sea account mid week? The change was to head off a staff mutiny, I'm told.

I'm rambling, but I do hope those who like the dine anytime option will have that opportunity and we dont loose the quality that fixed dining brings to the lines that we have sailed so far (NCL was horrible for the various reasons stated in this thread including us sitting alone at a table for 8 on formal night). Myself, I prefer the set dining time. It allows a reasonable target for my wife to shoot for: shower, hair, make-up, cocktails, etc. A bit of regimen is sometimes good to manage the essentials. Shaving is not necessarily an essential during the day:D.

Firstly, gratuities - if you select traditional dining, you can pay them as normal, either in advance, or once onboard. If you select Open Dining, you must pre-pay your gratuities, this is because you will generally not have the same waiters each evening, therefore this guarantees that the waiters assigned to this area, still get their gratuities. It DOES NOT mean you pay twice. There is no additional fee for Open Dining.

Secondly, I could not see them introducing Open Dining as the only option. We were on Explorer recently and we stayed with traditional dining. In no way did the Open Dining area affect our experience, in fact, if we had not known it was offered, we would have not been aware of it. For those that prefer traditional dining (as we do) then it does not affect you. It purely give others more choice.

I don't see what the problem is personally as it only affects those that want to choose this option

We prefer anytime dinning, our last trip with Celebrity was in Europe which is very port intensive with long days ashore due to the distance from the port to the city. Having first sitting (I just can't start dinner at 8:30) we misses dinner a lot. The only option was room service, pasta or sushi. If they don"t want to change the MDR deal at least offer dinner in the buffet area and I don't mean that little reservation only area, I mean a full buffet.

I think the concept gets more flak from "traditionalists" than it is worth. On ships offering it, most still have the traditional fixed seating for folks who prefer that, as well as an "as you like it" concept . . . take what YOU like and allow others what they like.

It is interesting that corporate communications could be so screwed up . . . announcing prematurely on the Web site. Ooops!

Regards, Richard

Archived