Celebrity Select Dining is Here

RLM77

Select Dining has not been implemented yet and it was a mistake that it is posted on the website now. It will probably be removed.

They are going to do a pilot program on selected ships in the future, but it is not available now.

I too was told that they were going to run a trial on one ship in the autumn. I was surprised to see that they have announced it already.....

Might as well go on the good ship lollipop....su--s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: now in the same league as rccl and carnival imo. More dumbling down in america as far as class goes.

So next time I pop into my local michelin starred restaurant to dine at a time of my own choosing, should I berate them for dumbing down to McDonalds anytime dining standard?;)

Are Regent, Seaborne, Silversea, SeaDream, Oceania and Azamara, which all have open dining, other examples of "dumbing down in America as far as class goes?" I've never considered banquet dining with 1000 others in an incredibly noisy room with waiters constantly dashing back and forth to be particularly elegant.

Dave

And you think that will not happen with "Celebrity Select Dining"?

"that charge will be added to your booking right away for the purpose of Celebrity having an accurate count of the number of guests using Celebrity Select dining so that they have an idea of how much dining room space needs to be allocated,"

HAH.

You cannot tell me that the cruise line needs these additional dollars so they have an accurate count.

Seems to me they have managed to keep track of early vs late seating requests quite nicely in the past.

Anyone else see this as a load of BS spun to Celebrity's advantage so they have more cash to sit on sooner?

Seems to me it is also a backhanded way to limit it's use and popularity.

Well said, the part we like the most about MTD on Royal is that it isn't "an incredibly noisy room with waiters constantly dashing back and forth."

We gave the MTD a try on the Explorer in March; we loved it and will use it again.

We always thought the main seating was too early and the 2nd seating too late. We were able to vary the time each evening and found that for us, 7:00-7:30 was a great time to eat. We had one of the best teams of wait staff; much more attentive than on our last couple of =X= cruises. For example, shrimp cocktail was not a nightly option, but for us, it was available at every dinner, and not just the usual 4 shrimp. Our drinks arrived at the table a few minutes after we did; just like they did on Celebrity traditional dining. We were at the same table every night, with the same staff; the only difference from the traditional dining was the start time. Also, we were able to eat as quickly or slowly as we wanted. We never missed a show or event as we scheduled dinner to work around what we wanted to do.

As for prepaying tips, people were signing up for MTD after we sailed and paying at that time.

It seems to be a perfect arrangement allowing you to choose how you would like to dine, but you are not permitted to change, once you commit to the program.

In case anyone is concerned about attire; everyone in our area was dressed appropriately, no shorts, etc.

Hope this helps!!

I hope it is not the railing part of the upper MDR-- a prime area!

I am sure it will affect everyone but there's no sense crying about it anymore! We'll have to adjust.

Also noticed from posts on Royal C bd that Royal is complicating their system with even more options...that says to me that they want to make sure they spread out the times that diners select....we are still set for main seating on our booked Royal C cruise--traditionally at 6-- but hope we don;t get shifted into the new 5:30 slot with the family diners!

Celebrity has joined the rest of the cruise industry and introduced "Celebrity Select Dining". According to the Celebrity website:

Celebrity Select Dining

Following a day of exploration, or a day spent lounging with a novel, Celebrity Select Dining offers a flexible approach to dining. Allowing you to be seated any time the Main Dining Room is open, this option means there's no schedule to follow, leaving only your heart and appetite to satisfy.

Due to the open nature of Celebrity Select Dining, a prepaid gratuity is required when choosing this option and will be included in your reservation. With Celebrity Select Dining, expect the same level of exceptional service, regardless of your dining time.

:D:D:D

Since this is referred to as an "option," I assume that one can still have fixed (traditional) dining times? As long as we get our usual table for two, second seating, then this match-all-the-other-guys style won't bother us.

I hope it is not the railing part of the upper MDR-- a prime area!

I am sure it will affect everyone but there's no sense crying about it anymore! We'll have to adjust.

Also noticed from posts on Royal C bd that Royal is complicating their system with even more options...that says to me that they want to make sure they spread out the times that diners select....we are still set for main seating on our booked Royal C cruise--traditionally at 6-- but hope we don;t get shifted into the new 5:30 slot with the family diners!

Some of the railing is used, but probably 25% which is probably close to the percentage of people who opt for My Time Dining.

Isn't the Royal family dinner geared to the kids eating at 5:30 and then off to childrens' program while Mom and Dad stay and eat with Main seating?

Since this is referred to as an "option," I assume that one can still have fixed (traditional) dining times? As long as we get our usual table for two, second seating, then this match-all-the-other-guys style won't bother us.

It appears to be the same type of program that Royal Caribbean has which gives you a choice of early seating, late seating, or anytime dining. When we first tried anytime dining on Royal Caribbean we met a couple who didn't even realize that anytime dining was an option until we mentioned it to them during the third day of the cruise. This illustrates how adding this option should have no affect on people who love traditional dining.

Hi Everyone !

Just to clarify, the Celebrity Select Dining program has not been officially rolled out yet. I would think Celebrity will be testing this out on at least 1 or more Celebrity ships, before Select Dining goes fleetwide.

I look forward to hearing more about it, at the appropriate time. I'm certain this is going to be a hot topic, but I am perfectly fine with it, as long as both Traditional and Select Dining options are available. I fully expect Celebrity to do it this way, as it will offer more flexibility and should be a win-win for Celebrity passengers.

So next time I pop into my local michelin starred restaurant to dine at a time of my own choosing, should I berate them for dumbing down to McDonalds anytime dining standard?;)

Too funny :)

It's about time Celebrity caught up. Good for them. We now might consider them for the Med. again.

I hate anytime style dining.

But the dress code will remain the same, And I am not going to go into the tip issue...I found the service better or just as good on our last cruise on Summit and we had the auto tip on it. OHHHH and the dining room was full the last night first time ever!!! ( not that Im saying people don't tip LOL)

I've never considered banquet dining with 1000 others in an incredibly noisy room with waiters constantly dashing back and forth to be particularly elegant.

Dave

Yeah....what you said! The noise has driven us from the MDR altogether. We would rather have a quiet dinner in our stateroom or on our veranda where we can actually have a conversation in a normal tone of voice.

I hate anytime style dining.

But the dress code will remain the same, And I am not going to go into the tip issue...I found the service better or just as good on our last cruise on Summit and we had the auto tip on it. OHHHH and the dining room was full the last night first time ever!!! ( not that Im saying people don't tip LOL)

I totally agree toronto25!!

We love the regular dinning!

But does it mean we won't have the same waiter, or the same table, or sit with the same people we sat with the night before?:confused::mad::(

I couldn't have said it better!!! I think Celebrity needs to lower their prices a lot to be more in line with Carnival or NCL after this more. I see no reason to pay for elegent dining after this move!

Well said. I find the set dining a great way to meet new friends and I find that you get to know the dining staff so welll it makes the cruise that much better. I would say this is very bad for Celebrity. They must stay a step above the rest. Considering RCCL is the same company now let them be the lower standard. I sailed once on the Explorer of the seas and never again. It was too commercial and cookie cutter for me.

Claudetteicon11.gif

I totally agree toronto25!!

We love the regular dinning!

But does it mean we won't have the same waiter, or the same table, or sit with the same people we sat with the night before?:confused::mad::(

Not at all, they are simply adding the option for passengers that don't want a set dining time to eat when they feel like it rather than when the cruise line dictates it. If you want to stay the way it is with traditional, simply book traditional dining when you book your cruise.

Well said. I find the set dining a great way to meet new friends and I find that you get to know the dining staff so welll it makes the cruise that much better. I would say this is very bad for Celebrity. They must stay a step above the rest. Considering RCCL is the same company now let them be the lower standard. I sailed once on the Explorer of the seas and never again. It was too commercial and cookie cutter for me.

Claudetteicon11.gif

Please explain to me why offering this option is lowering their standards? I'm being serious, I can't for the life of me figure out why adding extra options is lowering standards!

I really don't see why all the cruise lines have to be alike. There are clearly enough of us who prefer traditional dining; there must be room for one cruise line in the market to offer this type of experience.

We will not be happy if on our next cruise we are unable to get our preferred dining choice of traditional main and are instead pushed to "Select" dining.

We will not be happy if on our next cruise we are unable to get our preferred dining choice of traditional main and are instead pushed to "Select" dining.

Isn't there as much chance that you currently prefer "Late Dining" and get pushed to "Early Dining"? or vice versa. I really can't believe how celebrity cruisers get their knickers in a twist about change (not you).

For whatever it's worth, I e-mailed Celebrity yesterday and asked if Celebrity Select Dining would be available on my 10/23/09 Mercury cruise and received the following repy: "Celebrity Cruises will not be particiapting in the 'My Time' dining program. This is strictly a Royal Caribbean product. Celebrity Cruises will continue to have either first or second seating options." It is curious that the reply referred to "My Time" dining and not Celebrity Select Dining which I asked about in my e-mail to them. In any event it does not look like this is going to happen any time soon, if ever.

Archived