Who's your favorite Holland America cruise director?

I like him very much as music director, but have never sailed with him as CD. Does he do any cruises other than the long voyages?

Pretty sure lately only the longer cruises. He was on Prinsendam a couple of years or so back on a 12-day Black Sea & Med cruise

One more vote for Susan Wood. We sailed with her on the Eurodam last September.

There was a severe medical crisis in the theater one evening, she totally took charged.

In a matter of minutes,she had the house lights brought up, medical personal summoned, calmly ask the entertainer to leave the stage in deference to the situation,and in a calm confident manner assured we the audience everything was under control.

I was very ,very impressed. she'd be great in the ER.:)

Then of course there's her charming signature "toodle loo"

If Gary Walker is still with the company, I would go with him. I have not heard of him in a long time but he was my all-time favorite and I have run into a lot of good ones.

He doesn't work for HAL anymore. Last time I heard, he was working for/in a Vegas hotel

Peter, actually Pieter (he's Dutch) Daems

:)Yes, John, I knew he was Dutch. We spent quite a bit of time with him. A really terrific guy and if I remember correctly he was leaving right after our cruise to be married. I don't know if he returned as CD for HAL. Maybe you do?

Generally I have a very special place in my heart for the Dutch. My Godmother was from Holland and she was one of the most loving people I have ever known.

Peter reminded me of her in many ways ... particularly his sense of humor.

:)Yes, John, I knew he was Dutch. We spent quite a bit of time with him. A really terrific guy and if I remember correctly he was leaving right after our cruise to be married. I don't know if he returned as CD for HAL. Maybe you do?

Generally I have a very special place in my heart for the Dutch. My Godmother was from Holland and she was one of the most loving people I have ever known.

Peter reminded me of her in many ways ... particularly his sense of humor.

Pieter Daems left HAL after he married his fiancee, Heather

Kinda surprised no one has mentioned Bruce Alan Scudder, former musical director on HAL, turned cruise director. Been on several of the long voyages

I agree. Bruce is an excellent CD and very talented. He played a piano concert for us that was better than any of the guest performers . He is also a real gentleman. He would never be rude nor snide to anyone. Very accessible and helpful.

Mygate

In my humble opinion, HAL lost a good man when they lost Gary Walker.

Yup, HAL's loss is Celebrity's gain. Gary Walker was our CD on Summit for a b2b we took in Feb, 2008; we really liked him a lot.

The best CD I've ever had on a HAL cruise was Dane Butcher (Oosterdam, March, 2004). Wow, what a nice young guy, and a cutie, too!:) It seemed that everytime we turned around, there he was; he was so friendly and funny! His assistant, Kat,was a lovely young girl with lots of personality and enthusiasm. The CDs we've had on subsequent HAL cruises were. sadly, the most forgettable people.:o

The best CD I've ever had on a HAL cruise was Dane Butcher (Oosterdam, March, 2004). Wow, what a nice young guy, and a cutie, too!:) It seemed that everytime we turned around, there he was; he was so friendly and funny!

Thank you so much for the info on Dane.

I remember when he first started out as a Junior ACD in Australia. I had heard he moved to HAL as an ACD, and am delighted to hear he is doing so well these days.With his great personality I am not surprised.

My vote is another for Susan Wood.

Back to Eric Dowis for a minute. He was our CD on the Voyager this past February on Royal. Then there were a few threads about him breaking his contract but no details. Far and away our favorite CD. Is he now with Holland? Which ship? thanks