What have you learned?

wines60

What one or two pieces of good advice or info have you acquired by reading this HAL board? ;) (Maybe even learned what to watch out for or avoid?!?):eek:

I joined this board last fall, just before our Nov 7 trip to Hawaii on the Zaandam. Thanks to so many wonderful CC members, I found many tips and much good advice which made our trip all the more wonderful. For instance we enjoyed knowing about the ability of bringing wine and soda aboard. We did purchase wine at dinner each evening, but also enjoyed being able to have a glass in our cabin before dinner; and to have port just before bed time was super! :p Took good advice and booked two meals in the Pinnacle, and it was helpful to learn that soap was available in the self service laundry, (saved some luggage space). The availibility to have room service and to be able to choose from the same dinner menu was also good info. We decided to "eat in" on the night lobster was served and really loved that. I continue to read this board regularly and continue to pick up new ideas and suggestions. Really looking forward to our trans Panama Canal aboard the Zuiderdam next April 20.

Did I miss anything?

Bible for wine cards?
Folks who purchase wine cards & do not use them up completely by the end of their cruise will sometimes place them in the cabin bible for the next guest. Kinda paying it forward. Unfortunately, we've never found any. But then again, we haven't left any either! :p:p

We have learned so much from reading through people's experiences on cruise critic. In particular, the port information and hearing about some of the "off the beaten track" options that people take has been very beneficial. The little tips, like taking your own wine, how to change dining, shows "not to miss" etc, were all really useful... Reading the reviews about each of the other cruise lines is very helpful too, as it helps us keep coming back to HAL...

:D:D:D

It would be easier to answer what haven't I learned. I was lucky enough to find CC shortly before our very first cruise, and discovered so many no-so-commonly known tidbits that I can barely think of them now. One especially wonderful fact I learned was that that you can arrive at the pier earlier and be on board having lunch long before the cruise docs suggest. I also discovered bread pudding - I probably would never have found it because it is served from the ice cream station, and I'm not a big ice cream eater. :D

I've learned how helpful and gracious most of the folks on this board are. So many times if someone doesn't know the answer they go look it up and then post the info.

I have to agree with this. Every once in a while one will run into someone who is just downright nasty - don't take it personally since they are nasty to everyone (must be their lot in life) - but by far the people on this board are more than willing to share their knowledge and experiences and for that I thank them profusely.

We had taken several cruises before I discovered CC but now I am a much more savvy cruiser thanks to all the information I have gleaned from all these great people, many of whom I have been fortunate enough to meet on various cruises, thanks to the Roll Call boards, and yes they are indeed just as wonderful in person.

Valerie:)

I've learned everything I know about cruising from the wonderful people on this board. Someone taught me how to use an ipod and someone else taught me how to post pictures. On the photo board, someone helped me buy a new camera to go with some lenses we already had.All the tips about booking tables, bringing wine on board, what to pack, etc. came from the people here. Most people here go out of their way to help.

The more I read the more I am scared. We booked a HAL cruise to relax up the East Coast but from some of the reports we have read from HAL customers we are having reservations. We enjoy good food, a relaxing atmosphere, a little pampering and nice ports to visit. We are cruising in July and hope this cruise will be just as enjoyable as our Celebriy cruises.

I learned how to use my Acer Netbook aboard...how to connect to ship's internet on my own computer and I so enjoyed being able to check e-mail and check in here without having to go to Explorations while on Eurodam. We'll bring it on all our cruises now.

lfoots....... I'm sorry you are having second thoughts about your East Coast cruise. We do that cruise Boston to Montreal to Boston every year and it is wonderful. We definitely are pampered on Maasdam, we find the food on HAL is better and better and better...remarkably good. Maasdam's itinerary is wonderful and most people enjoy most of the ports. You must have read some negative things but I hope you are open to hear the raves about that wonderful ship. She is one of our two favorite HAL ships and we've sailed her a great many times. She has one of the very best crews at sea....on ANY cruise line.

I found Cruise Critic as soon as I started researching cruise ship lines for our first cruise. The majority of the posters here are great, but a couple are down right scary!

My 2 takeaways are:

1) Never joke with a HAL cruiser about there not being trays in the Lido

2) Never joke with a long time HAL cruiser about wearing levis or shorts on formal night.

i found cruise critic as soon as i started researching cruise ship lines for our first cruise. The majority of the posters here are great, but a couple are down right scary!

My 2 takeaways are:

1) never joke with a hal cruiser about there not being trays in the lido

2) never joke with a long time hal cruiser about wearing levis or shorts on formal night.

Too funny!:D:D:D:D And so true ;)!

I have learned SO much here, and we haven't even gone on our cruise yet.

I learned stuff like: What a GUAR *really* means, best times to get dinner reservations, what to/not to bring/pack, various menus, entertainment, wine cards, how to dress/not dress on formal night, etc. etc. etc.

I feel like an old pro and haven't cruised yet!

The best thing i learned from this Board was the exsistance of the fabled drink called the "Wang Wang". DE-LISH!

I would also like to point out that all the information I gleaned, taken together, made my trip a great one because I didn't worry about anything. I had learned about it on CC.

Cheers,

Deb

I found Cruise Critic as soon as I started researching cruise ship lines for our first cruise. The majority of the posters here are great, but a couple are down right scary!

My 2 takeaways are:

1) Never joke with a HAL cruiser about there not being trays in the Lido

2) Never joke with a long time HAL cruiser about wearing levis or shorts on formal night.

You forgot to add....Never joke about smoking areas.

The best thing i learned from this Board was the exsistance of the fabled drink called the "Wang Wang". DE-LISH!

I would also like to point out that all the information I gleaned, taken together, made my trip a great one because I didn't worry about anything. I had learned about it on CC.

Cheers,

Deb

1/4 oz Vodka

1/4 oz Gin

1/4 oz White Rum

1/4 oz Scotch

1/4 oz Bourbon

1/4 oz Tequila

1/4 Triple Sec

1/4 oz Brandy

Top it off with Pineapple and Orange Juice

Add a splash of Grenadine and let the games begin!

Archived