Finding an Internet Cafe in Port

PlanoDebbie

Is there some way to find out where any FREE Internet Cafes are for the ports we will be visiting? Do we just walk up and down the streets looking for signs saying Free Wi-Fi Internet, or can we find a list before we go?

We'll be on the Conquest in a few weeks and stopping in Cozumel, Montego Bay and Grand Caymans.

Is there some way to find out where any FREE Internet Cafes are for the ports we will be visiting? Do we just walk up and down the streets looking for signs saying Free Wi-Fi Internet, or can we find a list before we go?

We'll be on the Conquest in a few weeks and stopping in Cozumel, Montego Bay and Grand Caymans.

What you are asking about are few and far between. Having said that there are plenty of low cost Internet cafes available, but FREE is not usually found.

I have not heard of a FREE internet cafés.

Almost all port have very reasonable internet cafés located close to the ports.

If you do find any WiFi ports, I am sure everyone would love to know ~~!!~~

FREE... I wouldn't hold my breath :rolleyes:

Give up a DOD and use the $8 for an hour of time at an Internet Cafe.

I am with the consensus, I know of NO FREE internet cafes.

The plus is almost all are very reasonable. My favorite in Puerta Vallarta (can't remember the name) in the lobby of a hotel I stay at when flying to PV across from a grade school. South of the Rio Cuale (where all the Mexican vacationers stay), located half block from the ocean. Love it. :)

An hour costs $3.00 and that INCLUDES a croissant and a cup of coffee ! ! :eek:

IIRC, none were 'free' but all were VERY reasonable -- esp. after seeing what the ships charge!!!

I found at least one within walking distance of each pier, and it was less than $10 for an hour's worth of Internet.

I was on the Conquest just a couple of weeks ago.

Jamaica, you have to go into town to find a internet cafe, which I happily paid for, $5 I think for about an hour. I used a local place and it was in local currency, so wasnt exactly $1 for $100 of their charges.

Cayman Islands without a laptop (I did find a place that offered internet in a coffee shop, but I needed a internet cafe), was harder. I finally found a place back off the beaten path, and again it wasnt really cheap, but cheap enough. I think I spent like $6, it was charged in increments of about 12 minutes or something odd for $1.

Cozumel right by the pier that Conquest usually goes into there is a brand new internet cafe that was $3 for 30 minutes, which is high for Cozumel, you can go into town and get an hour for $2, but oh well, not worth a cab ride. It was brand new and spiffy. Iv also seen Carnival ships port at the RCL pier, where you can get cheaper time and everything near there wasnt so new and higher priced.

IIRC, none were 'free' but all were VERY reasonable -- esp. after seeing what the ships charge!!!

I found at least one within walking distance of each pier, and it was less than $10 for an hour's worth of Internet.

Conquest ports in MoBay and it was a long hot walk into town. Someone said it was 3 miles, not sure, but a pretty long hot dusty walk into town. You can buy a bracelet for $15 and get on and off a bus or pay $5 per person per stop basically for a taxi.

I walked ..... against recommendations, I walked into town in Jamaica, and had no problems, no one pushy bothered me once I got past the port area (the port folks were very pushy, but the regular city folks were friendly and helpfull). I got a map at the port, but there were no street signs so I was unsure where to turn into town since I never walked in before.

I also walked in Costa Maya, which was probably close to 3 miles each way too though, again it was hot and dusty, but only one road, very easy, couldnt get lost.

I always try and walk to a internet cafe in every port, but be aware they might not be what YOU consider walking distance. I walk every day for exercise at home.

3rd poster, 3rd poster, 3rd poster! I reapeat what was said, ask your waiter or cabin stewart, they will tell you where the cheapest internet cafe is. If there is truely a free one the crew will know for sure!

I highly doubt you'll find free in the common ports we visit. People don't setup up computers and hookin broad band for charity. If you do find one I'd be very very careful of what you do on that computer or thru their connection.

The OP's post is a bit confusing. First they ask about Internet Cafe yet are looking for a "free WiFi" sign. If it is free WiFI, yes you can find this in most ports. There are several web sites that list locations. I alway take my I-Touch and never have trouble finding or connecting to free Wi-Fi hotspots.

Free interent cafe -- probably not going to happen.

Follow the crew! They will always know the hot spots. On our recent Eastern Caribbean cruise, we found WiFi hot spots in every port we went to. Many of the cruise terminals will have WiFi; try it there first, and then make your way to a bar for a nice, local drink and try again. I don't think you'll have a problem. :)

Buy a Wi-Fi detector. The good ones will show the SSID for the link, as well as if it has security enabled.

Walk around until you find a signal near a coffee shop or restaurant or bar. Or even just in the middle of town.

When we were in St. Martin, we were able to get free WiFi while sitting at one of the restaurants along the boardwalk. My feeling was that the entire boardwalk was set up for free WiFi--I know you're not going there, but it does exist in some ports. I know there is a website dedicated to showing WiFi access at airports, so perhaps besides asking crew members, do a little google searching before you go?

Good luck and have fun!

As said above, ask your cabin steward, server, or other friendly crewmember. Believe me, they'll know.

In European ports, many/most McDonald's & Burger Kings have free wifi. Some you may have to ask a password from the cashier, or buy a coffee to get the password on your receipt. Many/most European hotels have lobby wifi at a price MUCH cheaper than the ship.

About 20 years ago they invented this nifty thing called Google. SNIP.....................

Almost ten (10) years. First incorporated in 9/98. Just seems like its been around forever.

For the OP: in (almost) every CC port review they give an internet cafe location.

Cheers

Mark

Archived