Convince us to go to Alaska

Jen516

We are planning a 10-year anniversary trip for next summer and have been focusing on a Mediterranean cruise. However, none of the dates/itineraries thrill us (we have specific timing we need to stick with -- late June/early July for 7 nights) and are now thinking beyond Europe for some other ideas. An Alaskan cruise is the next place we could see going.

We really don't know much about Alaska cruises. We would love a trip that is relaxing yet exciting, luxurious, relatively kid-free (we are leaving our young kids at home for the 1st time!) and memorable. We are pretty well seasoned travelers and have cruised a number of times on RCCL and Princess.

We would love some advice on why you love Alaska... your favorite ports, and any recommendations on a line/ship that would suit us well. (Celebrity??)

Thank you so much for your input, in advance! :)

Jen

Alaska is beautiful. It is one of the few cruises where you will have spectacular scenery and something to look at besides just water the majority of the time, so if you want to just sit back and relax, you can. It can also be an exciting adventure if you are looking for more activity. As far as kids, well it is summer, so expect them on the mass lines, although Celebrity and HAL might have fewer than Princess, RCCL, or Carnival.

I agree, in your timeframe, you will have children on your cruise. (Perhaps a luxury cruiseline would be different) That said, I cruised mid-June last year on HAL. Yes there were kids, but honestly, I don't remember seeing them much except in the pool area. They surely did not distract me for any reason. The earlier you go in June, probably the less kids you will see, but they will be on your cruise.

For a special occasion, surely there's somewhere in the world you want to go without being convinced. One trip to Alaska/Yukon 20 years ago convinced me to move here, but some people aren't all that impressed. A few minutes with the Alaska brochures either convinces you that it's worth a visit or not.

I agree with Yukon. If you need convincing, it probably is not for you.

Alaskan cruises are generally not "relaxing" - short port times and so much you can do/see. If you don't do/see much or anything, why go?

And as was stated, it probably won't be relatively kid-free on a cruise from June to late August.

Alaska is so pretty. When we planned our cruise, I told my husband I wanted a balcony for this cruise. We took the cruise out of Seattle and flew in the day before. We even bought a new DSL camera for this cruise. We loved our cruise so much that we are planning to go back. If you need confirmation that this is a great cruise and everyone should do it once in their lifetime, search for some of the reviews from people that have just returned from their cruises. I wish I could remember the ones that you need to look up, but, a search should find them. I just finished a review and the pictures were amazing. All the ports have something for everyone. Our cruise was in Sept. and I don't remember that many kids, but, the summer might be different. Take the Alaska cruise and I don't think you will be sorry. Can I go?

A 6-day Transatlantic on Cunard's Queen Mary 2 would certainly be "relaxing yet exciting, luxurious, relatively kid-free and memorable."
Absolutely. And, because there are no port calls, very affordable (no excursions to pay for.)

Cunard also usually invites some "experts" or other on the QM2 crossings, as well as performers beyond the babes-with-feathers categories. On our crossing on the QM2 a couple of years ago (late April) we had a bunch of students from the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art on board, who did various interpretive excerpts from Shakespeare, and we also had a couple of profs from Oxbridge who lectured on things like the monarchy, UK in the EU, decolonialization, etc. - actually quite interesting.

http://www.cunard.com/OurShips/default.asp?Ship=QM2&main=onb&sub=epr

If you want a bit more excitement, go to New York or London a couple of days early, and hit Times Square or Soho on a Saturday night. Hoo boy.

Given the criteria you have set, I'm not really sure an Alaska cruise would be the best fit. While they are certainly fun, exciting and awe inspiring, I would not consider them necessarily relaxing. They are port and activity intensive so people tend to want to try to see and do as much as possible while there. In late June and July, there will be children. Probably not as many as some other summer cruises, but still a fairly good amount. My kids have always had plenty of company on our Alaska cruise. As for luxurious, I guess if you choose a high end line it might have a more luxurious feel, but in our experience Alaska cruises tend to be a bit more casual than other cruises we have been on. Lots of jeans, sweatshirts and fleece! There are still the typical formal evenings and most people adhere, but certainly not at the level of some of our other cruises. Don't get me wrong, I love Alaska and I'm sure you would too, but I wouldn't describe it as a romantic, luxury, relaxing getaway. For that type of feel I would look more to a warm weather, exotic cruise. How about Tahiti or Australia/New Zealand?

Read this board, read some of the reviews done by members (the orange bar at the top where is says "Reviews"), get some books from the library. You are the one taking the cruise -- you need to convince yourself. Or not. You can't expect a bunch of strangers to make this kind of decision for you.

Alaska is called The Great Land for good reason. It is stunning in beauty, and rich with wildlife. While I strongly recommend taking tours (because Alaska is so much more than what you see along the waterfront) you can simply choose to stay on the ship in ports and have what feels like your own private vessel all day. Relax to your heart's and body's content.

Alaksa was our first cruise some years ago, and we're returning in August to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. So I obviously think it's a good place to mark a special occasion!

i live in alaska and every spring i spend a month in the med (italy/greece). i meet too many people that have no idea why they are on holiday in a location other than they were told it was the thing to do.

if you have no greater interest in alaska other than it fits into your schedule.......

que the sound of b-d sighing and shaking his head

We absolutely LOVED Alaska (were celebrating our 25th anniversary), and loved the Holland America Westerdam. The ship was classy and refined without being pretentious or stuffy. Lots of activities and things to see/do onboard.

The scenery in Alaska is absolutely spectacular, especially Glacier Bay. We stood on the bow for several hours in GB, with our jaws open the whole time. I've never seen anything like it.

My favorite port was Sitka, a nice fishing village with a lot of history to it. We went all over town...the best part was the Raptor Center. Liked a little store called Wintersong, where they sell soaps, lotions, jams, all kinds of neat stuff.

You must go...it's truly a once in a lifetime experience.

We leave 6/24/2009 on our 10 Year Anniversary cruise/trip to Alaska and can't wait! Doing a post cruise Denali trip as well.

We're also leaving the kids (5 & 3) with my parents (thanks Grammy & Papa!)

Surf this board enough and you'll come up with about 10 million reasons why it'll be the trip of a lifetime. Good luck!

I agree with jhannah that Alaska is simply stunning. I "went along" with my husband on our first Alaska Cruisetour since he wanted to go so badly. I did not expect the sheer size and majesty of the land to affect me, but it did. Now we're booked to bring our 10 year old granddaughter with us in July for our 3rd trip to Alaska.

We love being outdoors and love wildlife viewing. If you're not crazy about either, then I agree that maybe you should look at another itinerary. On all the big travel sites you can search for 7 day cruises for your specific time frame and see what all the cruise lines have to offer.

Yeah, please don't come up here just to add it to your list of places you've been. If you want to experience magnificent scenery, abundant wildlife, and a spirt of adventure only dreamed of in other places, then Alaska is for you. I've lived here since 1972 and it is truly a very special place!

Hi Jen516 - I went on my first trip to Alaska a couple of weeks ago and it was spectacular! My 7-day HAL Zuiderdam cruise stopped at only 3 ports (Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan) and we were in each port for a long time. In fact, I did 2 excursions in both Ketchikan and Juneau. I wrote my impressions on this board shortly after I returned and am pasting them below. As you can see, I fell in love with Alaska.

I recently went on my first cruise to Alaska and was completely blown away by the beauty and size of everything! :D To all who are going for their first time and all who are returning -- sink in the wondrous majesty surrounding you and appreciate every moment.

I've seen numerous mountains, sparkling lakes and waterfalls in my travels, but nothing compares to the grandeur I experienced in Alaska. I was a confirmed beach gal in all my previous trips and wouldn't consider going somewhere I had to bundle up and be cold. Never again! I will continue my winter cruises to the Caribbean but Alaska has become my new wonder destination. :) I went on this cruise out of curiosity and my curiosity has been fulfilled beyond my imagination! Standing on my balcony or on deck watching the glorious scenery go by brought me to tears...it was a truly spiritual experience I never expected.

I am now one of you...the Alaska lovers who return year after year to sink in the extreme nature surrounding you. I now understand why you go.

I love and am very proud of our 49th state. Alaska rocks!! :D

Diane

I've been on two Alaska cruises and if I had my choice of antoher Carribean, or Mexican Riviera, or Alaskan cruise....there'd be no hestistation on my part to go Alaska.

But maybe Alaska is not for you.

You're not going to get the sunscreen slathering sun of the Carribean or those lovely beaches.

But an Alaska cruise is unique....especially if you book a Carnival cruise...because you will have wildlfe on board with non stop partying and fellow cruisers sporting morning after road map eyeballs not to mention the wildlife like bear, moose, whale and eagle you can view from the rail.

The scenery is out of this world...with towering mountains, waterfalls, rivers and glaciers.

No obnoxious Ocho Rios type souveneir vendors here.

I find Alaska ports of call rather unasuming and laid back.

That's my take on Alaska. It may or may not be your cup of tea but if you decide to go I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Sorry if some of you took offense... I have read some reviews and read some of these boards. I was bascially asking you to sum up why you love Alaska and what I might love about it.

We're going in 3 weeks on a spur-of-the-moment trip - it will be our 3rd or 4th time and we do love it.

You may want to consider a small boat cruise, if you have the $$. It is a unique experience and completely different than being on the big boats. It's not "luxurious" in the traditional sense of staterooms and formal wear, but the food is fantastic, the staff is all over you (in a good way), you get to know the captain and your fellow cruisers (which, as a non-social person didn't excite me, but it was great) and best of all you are nose-to-nose with Alaska - and the trip is often "customized" to what the group wants to do.

Most small boats have special permits to be able to go places that the big boats can't go, and with some you can kayak right off the boat, they catch your dinner live that day, etc.

CruiseWest is the big player, and the one we went on went out of business :( but my parents went on a boat called the Sikumi (after we told them they MUST go to Alaska) and loved it - so I can recommend that by proxy.

No offense taken. You're smart to get opinions from others who have been there. I've done 2 Carnival cruises to the Caribbean, and enjoyed them, but for Alaska I personally wouldn't/haven't considered going on Carnival. (Just my humble, personal opinion. I'm sure many loyal Carnival cruisers will disagree). We thoroughly enjoyed both of our Princess Alaskan cruises (1 southbound, 1 northbound, both with land tours before/after) and we're looking forward to our HAL Alaskan cruise (RT). We just don't need a ton of entertainment in the evening after full days on shore.

If budgeting is a consideration the roundtrip itineraries will save you money on your plane fare as opposed to the north or southbound cruises, but you won't get to see as many ports. We booked our own air much cheaper than what HAL offered. We feel the roundtrip is the best way to introduce our 10 year old granddaughter to Alaska, and hope to do an extended cruisetour with her when she is older.

I'd be interested in hearing what you decide to do. I hope you'll post again and let us know.

Shae

....especially if you book a Carnival cruise...because you will have wildlfe on board with non stop partying and fellow cruisers sporting morning after road map eyeballs not to mention the wildlife like bear, moose, whale and eagle you can view from the rail.

I've only been on one cruise so far... to Alaska on Carnival. I can't compare it to a Carnival cruise in any other area, or to any other cruise line in Alaska... but it certainly didn't seem to be a party atmosphere to me! It was just like I have read the demographics are on most AK cruises... mostly older people, some families... We were a family group of 12, ranging from 9 months old to 68 years old and we seemed to fit right in.

I have chosen to sail on Princess this time, but if the price/itinerary were right, I wouldn't hesitate to go to AK on Carnival again due to any supposed "party" atmosphere.

I've been on two Alaska cruises and if I had my choice of antoher Carribean, or Mexican Riviera, or Alaskan cruise....there'd be no hestistation on my part to go Alaska.

But maybe Alaska is not for you.

You're not going to get the sunscreen slathering sun of the Carribean or those lovely beaches.

But an Alaska cruise is unique....especially if you book a Carnival cruise...because you will have wildlfe on board with non stop partying and fellow cruisers sporting morning after road map eyeballs not to mention the wildlife like bear, moose, whale and eagle you can view from the rail.

The scenery is out of this world...with towering mountains, waterfalls, rivers and glaciers.

No obnoxious Ocho Rios type souveneir vendors here.

I find Alaska ports of call rather unasuming and laid back.

That's my take on Alaska. It may or may not be your cup of tea but if you decide to go I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

What a dumb post. We cruised Alaska on Carnival Spirit and there was definitely no hard core 'partying' going on. I have to say that by 10:00 pm every evening the ship was dead. There was nothing going on. You don't know what you're talking about.

A cruise to Alaska can be both as exciting and relaxing as you want it to be. We had an aft balcony this last trip, and sitting out there watching the wake and searching for whales and other wildlife was VERY relaxing. The scenery is stunning and invites you to just sit back with a beverage and take it all in. In port, you have a ton of choices on what you want to do: A leisurely stroll through the shops? A bus or boat tour? Flightseeing? Something more active, like hiking, biking, ice climbing on a glacier, ziplining, kayaking, deep sea fishing? I've done Alaska with excursions and without, and both ways are fun, depending on what you're looking for. I've found Alaska to be very different from Mexico and the Caribbean in that regard ... lots and lots of port activities in Alaska, all of them enticing.

We received a "free 7 night cruise" and decided to do Alaska as we thought that we would "never pay to go to Alaska"...... I am now booked on my 7th cruise to Alaska.

Alaska impressed me beyond my wildest dreams. My first cruise had awful weather (worst possible IMO) but periodically I saw through the thick fog and rain to realize that if I was able to go when the weather was decent, it was going to be one heck of a beautiful place. I never tire of the beauty of Alaska - I will choose Alaska over the Caribbean any day of the week. My next 5 cruises on Alaska had fabulous weather and I am so glad I made the leap and went somewhere I never thought I would like as it has become one of my favorite destinations.

Archived