Past Celebrity Employee - Answering Your Questions

cruiseemployee

It take a lot of time to read all the other threads. I think it's fine that he is restricting himself to this one. Why is that such a problem?

If you have a question pertaining to ship like behind the scenes, then ask it here and it looks like he will answer it in due course.

A lot of the other questions can be answered by other people cause they are generally asking something from a passenger's point of view e.g. what's the food like? what's this cabin like? how was your embarkation? what about X port? and so forth.

\

Well Ok, I think I understand that your GF is a current employee, you could answer all of these questions just as accurately as the OP, and I am sure you do on threads other than this one. I just find a lot of things odd about this thread. Therefore it is interesting for that reason alone. I think that his insights after visiting a port or doing embarkation for a long time would be more relevant than mine if I did a port one time. Plus, the employees that I have scuba dived with before generally knew the better operators, hence neither of us booked with the cruise ship, but ended up being dive buddies for a day. I have had that experience many times. One time in Tahiti, I booked an excursion that was not available thru RCI, but when my group showed up we were on the excursion with the Captain and his wife. That kind of information is very valueable, but we aren't getting that kind of information, and I find that puzzling. I like riddles.:)

jc

\

One time in Tahiti, I booked an excursion that was not available thru RCI, but when my group showed up we were on the excursion with the Captain and his wife. That kind of information is very valueable, but we aren't getting that kind of information, and I find that puzzling. I like riddles.:)

jc

Ask me a question that specific and I'll answer it. I can only answer the questions people ask. I've only hid certain things to keep my identity anonymous. Nothing that has kept valuable information from the likes of yourself.

cruiseemployee...

I think you mentioned that the staff can socialize with guests?? Is that true? For example, if I needed someone to play cards with, could I ask an employee in my age group (25)??

Only activities staff can do that unfortunately. (Play cards) We can socialize with guests only as part of our job, or if you are in the staff or officer rank during our own time; but unless it's part of our duty or job description, it's not allowed. I mean, if you went to the hotel manager and demanded that someone play cards, it might happen...lol. But you usually won't find an employee that isn't busy long enough to play cards anyways. If I was playing cards with you and a higher authority saw, I'd definitely get questioned about it...Sorry...

ps..xpc guy, lighten up already...

xpcdoojk, just so you know? CruiseEmployee knows how to use the "ignore" button and has been known to use it before.

Your name calling is not winning any points here. Earlier you said you didn't "get it". I tried my darndest to explain. Why are you being so abrasive?

Remember the old bees and honey story earlier on?

Have to agree with Heather, jc.

If you don't get it, or don't like it, or don't believe the OP is what he claims to be. Fine, don't read the thread.

I just find it fascinating that this person only posts on this single thread. I mean he/she doesn't bother answering questions on a single other thread.

Why is this fascinating. He says he is a past cruise employee. I am not sure if he has ever said I used to work for Celebrity, but know that he has given that impression. If indeed he has worked for Celebrity, and the question is not specific to the subject of cruise employment why would he post on another thread. He has been very specific in what he is doing with this thread.

You have tried to make your point, now I would ask you give the rest of us who enjoy this thread a break and let it rest.

I have worked for Celebrity Cruises for almost 3 years but have moved on to bigger and better things. My knowledge of cruising would best be used in this forum for anyone who may have questions regarding shiplife or any questions you have may have...I come on cruise critic about once a week so please be patient with me as I reply in this thread.

Any questions are welcome.

Cheers.:)

He worked for Celebrity Cruises for almost three years. See his original post above. I would think that's a very good reason to post on this board.

Garry

None of the ships accept any mail directly. All mail goes through head office and then gets re-sent to the ship depending on what itinerary it's currently on. Send your mail to the head office in Miami, FL (I don't honestly know the address. Do a 411 search on the internet). On your letter you must write the ship name, person's name, their department, (Food, housekeeping, entertainment) and it'll get to them. It's very slow though...from the time you send it till they receive it could be a month.

We got mail on the ship once a week (or longer for the 10/11 day cruises). It was picked up in the embarkation port. A big list is posted regarding who got mail then we pick it up from the person that handles it on board.

PS. THANKS JUMBIE. I'M TOO SLOW!!!

I also have continued to follow, and Jumbie knows the add for mail, and how fast it gets there. But after 3 years of recieving mail at the same add ``````maybe he didnt know because he simply forgot.

JC,`````````:confused: .

I also have continued to follow, and Jumbie knows the add for mail, and how fast it gets there. But after 3 years of recieving mail at the same add ``````maybe he didnt know because he simply forgot.

JC,`````````:confused: .

The reason I know the address is cause I just looked it up a couple of weeks ago in order to send my g/f a Christmas card. I saved it for future reference. All I had to do was copy and paste from the file.

Also, a correction - he was the one who said how quickly it gets there. Mine hasn't even reached yet and I have no idea when it will.

A while ago, I asked my g/f the address for the ship. Guess what - she didn't know... Most people (at least those from developed countries) probably get e-mail rather than snail mail. From what I gather, cruiseemployee is from such a country. Again, no surprise to me that he wouldn't know it by heart.

Hell, I've sent countless forms, payments, etc. to my school in the last year. Yet every time I need to do so, I have to look up the address. The only part I ever remember is that it's in Bayshore, NY.

Ok cruiseemployee here is a question near and dear to my own heart and sensibilities. In your 3 years as working for Celebrity, and in dealing with those crew who did receive gratuities; what percentage of passengers on any given cruise would you estimate did not tip? In general, what nationality of pax was a better tipper? A worse one?

Can we all agree not to respond to negative posts? It fuels the flame, so to speak. It frustrates us all, and nothing positive comes of it. If we ignore these comments, maybe they will all go away.

I am pleased to read the posts here, find them helpful and interesting. I appreciate cruiseemployees time and patience and thank him for posting with us.

Donna

Hello cruiseemployee .... hope your holiday was a happy one.

A few other questions:

-- Does it take time for crew members (or staff, for that matter) to get used to the cramped cabins & roommates? Do they typically get along well off-duty, or do people frequently request roommate changes?

-- Are many of the crew cabins near the engine rooms, or close to noisy pumps for the various tanks? How noisy are the worst of the crew cabins? I've wondered if the laundry workers and dishwashers have the worst jobs & work the longest hours, do they also get stuck with the noisiest cabins (So the people who need sleep the most end up having the toughest time getting it?)

-- Do most of the regular crew socialize with the Nepalese security guys, or are they seen as sort of a separate group that sticks to themselves?

-- Did you ever grow tired of particular ports? If so, which ones ... and why?

-- Were they any ports you visited off-duty and found a hidden 'treasure' that passengers seemed oblivious to? (In other words, a terrific restaurant, shop, excursion, beach, museum -- or whatever -- that had you wondering 'Why don't more people go here?')

Thanks as always for your insights! :cool:

Read about the FBI investigation of one staff member stabbing another aboard the Coral Princess...

http://www.local10.com/news/4030426/detail.html

Has there ever been a serious altercation while you were aboard?

Has there ever been a fight between a staff member and a passenger? :eek:

Hello fellow Cruise Critic posters ~ just a quick reminder regarding name-calling on the boards. Please don't do it and please stick to the thread topic. Any form of name calling is against Community Guidelines.

We appreciate your cooperation.

Or not.

Thank you for reconsidering!

You're welcome. Actually we did a few other things since we closed the thread that allowed us to now reopen it. (It's a terrific thread and we hope all who post to it in the future will do so in compliance with our Community Guidelines.)

You're welcome. Actually we did a few other things since we closed the thread that allowed us to now reopen it. (It's a terrific thread and we hope all who post to it in the future will do so in compliance with our Community Guidelines.)

Thanks for re-opening this thread. I hope I speak for all of us here when I say we do appreciate it.

I agree with all the previous posters, thanks for re-opening this tread. Let's hope that we can all abide by the rules and get back to what these boards are really about- Our love of cruising and desire to share it with others.

Mari:)

Hi Everyone !

I would like to second Walt & Anne's comments, to URGE you to please be polite, and NOT let this thread get out of hand again. We understand that you wanted to keep this thread going, and we listened.

However, if things are going to get out of hand, you will be begging the moderators to close it again.

With that said, PLEASE think carefully before you post anything that might get everyone restless ok ?

I understand that many of us are very opinionated about comments on this thread, and that is not always a bad thing. But please, let's try to keep up our reputation as being one of the friendliest boards on the internet. I have always been very proud of this, and I hope you will too :)

Happy New Year to Everyone !

Host Walt, thank you for opening this thread which gives me some enjoyment as well and also the opportunity to learn a little about the life of some of the 'crew'.

I do understand that there have to be some guidelines just about for anything and it is never a 'rewarding' job for those that have to enforce them.....but it has to be done so some sort of 'order' is maintained..............but what I do not understand is: why a very popular thread (this one or any other one) has to be closed if only few are breaking the rules? Why to punish 'all' for the 'problems' caused by few? In addition....it is better for the board to have more 'hits'....the advertisers look at that so popular thread is a big plus for the owners of this web site. Almost 8000 views in two weeks - that is pretty good.

So why not to punish the offenders instead of 'all' - the ones that 'obey' the rules can not control the ones that do not......but you can.

Thank you,

Wes

Host Walt, I just found and read your explanation on a different thread - thank you. I did not know that some of the actions pertaining to individual posters need to be approved by management.

Thanks again, Wes

Archived