"Agency issue"....???

Kween Karen

I don't think anyone's told scummycruise.com that HAL' s no longer working with them. I just called over there to inquire about the 35 day Grand Voyage and they're all ready to book me. I asked if they worked with HAL a lot and was told "Oh, yes". BTW, When I called earlier I was told that "All 3 of them are at lunch so call back at 2pm".

Now my job is to check my credit card statements a couple of times a day. My research has shown that this company is notorious for double and triple charging client's credit cards.....even after they have sailed!! I don't understand how a company can get away with this MANY MANY times.....but I am alert and will be checking.

So.....check your statements!

Glad to read that all of this worked out and be sure to dispute ANY charge that comes trough from this agency again. I have had this happen to me as well, and you need to be vigilant. they may even try to charge your card while you are on the cruise. I would call the credit card company and tell them that any charge comming in from this company will be fraudulent.

Or even better, ask the creedit card company to issue you a new card number. tell them "my card number security has been compromised" They will have a new card to you in 24 hours if necessary.

Have a great trip!!!

Karen at this point I doubt seriously CC would pull the thread all they would do is ******* if it was named.
Or the one post would be pulled.

Perhaps someone who has been burned should file a complaint with the Fla Attorney General & also write to a Consumer advocate in a TV station in Lake Mary or Orlando..
There have already been reports on the Orlando channels about this company over the past few years, but that doesn't help someone like Karen in WA.

I wouldn't be surprised that there have been complaints to the AG, but so far (AFAIK) they have always been able to scrape by without commiting any prosecutable crimes. :mad:

I can't help but wonder where the fraudulent travel agent company got the money to wire to HAL to finally pay for Karen's cruise. It is most likely that they raised the money by fraudulently billing a few of the credit cards that they have on file. This seems to be their modus operandi. So, Karen's problem got solved, but probably at the expense of some serious headaches for a few other cruisers who will be quite surprised when they receive their next credit card bills.

Eventually, this Ponzi scheme is going to unwind, and innocent people are going to be left holding the bag.

For CC to not allow the outing of these thieves, seems to me to be unconscionable and a violation of the sense of community that exists here.

Marc

One of the reasons I have continued to deal as politely as possible with this TA is because I knew I was going to have to be in a "relationship" with them throughout this cruise. I know that the TA is in charge of communications and docs as well as the promised "PERKS".....this is a LONG cruise so I was dreading this LONG relationship ahead of me.

Good News

HAL has agreed to work directly with me from now on. My docs will be sent directly from HAL to me. They are assigning me a person at HAL with whom I will communicate with any questions, etc. I am in love with HAL!!

I've stalked this thread since the beginning, but was not moved to post until I solved the riddle of the agency and looked at their website. It seems that one major company doesn't do business with them. I tried a dummy booking for a Celebrity cruise I'm on in Sept., and . . . no Celebrity. Then I noticed no RCCL and no Azamara either. There's certainly a story there somewhere.

One of the reasons I have continued to deal as politely as possible with this TA is because I knew I was going to have to be in a "relationship" with them throughout this cruise. I know that the TA is in charge of communications and docs as well as the promised "PERKS".....this is a LONG cruise so I was dreading this LONG relationship ahead of me.
Unfortunately on the Trip Advisor site there were also people posting that they were promised perks, like onboard credit, that they never received. Hopefully you will get your perks. One person posted that she emailed them daily to get her onboard credit. She was on a 35 day cruise and didn't get it until the last week. :eek:

I've stalked this thread since the beginning, but was not moved to post until I solved the riddle of the agency and looked at their website. It seems that one major company doesn't do business with them. I tried a dummy booking for a Celebrity cruise I'm on in Sept., and . . . no Celebrity. Then I noticed no RCCL and no Azamara either. There's certainly a story there somewhere.

You can still book them from THAT website. There are links about halfway down the home page that says to "Click Here to Book XXX Cruise". It takes you to a page with this text:

We've designed this section to assist you in reserving the vacation you were planning on your travel agent's site. If you wish to return to your travel agent, please click here.

Once you reserve your vacation, the travel agent is solely responsible for your reservation, including supplying any information you may need, collecting final payment and making changes to your trip.

It is imperative that you reside in the same country as your travel agent in order to continue with the reservation process. If you do not, you may still browse this site, but you will not be able to make a reservation. For your convenience, we've provided your agent's contact information.

Should you reserve online, you agree to the fare presented by XXX Cruiseline on this site.

There is also the agency's name and contact information on the page with boxes for ACCEPT or DECLINE. If you hit accept, it takes you to the cruiseline website and it looks like you are booking directly with the cruiseline, but obviously you aren't.

I've been unable to access the internet for the past couple of days and was dying to know how this turned out. Karen, I'm so happy for you. Kudos to the HAL rep who worked with you.

I'll be waiting to read your blog of the cruise.

I'm sure that HAL will help Karen keep an eye on it, but I'd still be concerned that the way this agency "got" the funds to clear Karen's account was to bill her again for the same trip. This would buy them a few weeks to pick up funds from some other place and when I see all of those complaints about double-billing, I would be concerned that this is what's happening. Changing the credit card numbers, is necessary, I think, so she doesn't have to worry about her card's safety while she's on the cruise, but it wouldn't help if they've already put through another charge. It may take a day or two for such a charge to show up.

Now, how to help others learn from what has been learned from this experience?

It seems to me that the best assistance we can give to newcomers just coming to cruising is to devise with a simple message that will help them avoid what's happened to Karen and others. Sending a caution about checking reputation, etc. doesn't really help because most newcomers won't know how to do it and as so many have pointed out, the individual circumstances of agencies keep changing in this economy. And it isn't fair that the majority of travel agencies should be denied the business because people are worried about the safety of their money. Already I've noticed that people are wondering if it's safe to do anything but book directly with the cruise lines, but newcomers often need the guidance that a good agent can provide.

Isn't the essential message that newcomers need is:

Insist that all payments that you make to a travel agency be deposited directly with your cruise provider. Refuse to allow the agency to hold your money and transmit it later, even if this practice costs you some perks and discounts that your travel agency might offer.

Or something like that. Then, once we have the message reduced to as simple a format as possible, how can we get the word out? Not everyone is going to find CruiseCritic in time for this message to be of any use.

Because, if you're new to all this, why in the world would you be expected to know how cruises are safely paid for if somebody more experienced doesn't tell you?

I stumbled onto this thread late in the game and I read it with my heart in my throat until I saw that you had gotten positive resolution in this matter. Shame on that TA. They deserve sanctions! I'm very happy for you Karen!

Good News

HAL has agreed to work directly with me from now on. My docs will be sent directly from HAL to me. They are assigning me a person at HAL with whom I will communicate with any questions, etc. I am in love with HAL!!

Wonderful!!! However, keep in mind these clowns still have your credit card numbers and could, if they really were hacked off with HAL taking over this booking, put thru more charges on your cards. They know when you'll be gone, and could charge you while you're sailing.

To prevent that from occurring, talk to your credit card companies (for which the TA has the card numbers) and ask them to issue new numbers. You should have new cards before you sail. I don't know if you can also specify that NO charges are to be authorized to that TA, but you can ask.

I'm thrilled that you'll be able to go on your dream cruise, Karen. I've been curious ever since you first said the HAL agent cautioned you not to call the TA that day because HAL was still "negotiating" with them. Just can't help but wonder if the TA didn't bargain HAL down to a lower price than they had charged you. If the ship isn't full, HAL might be willing to accept something, rather than nothing, for the cabin. TA may have already tried this with HAL or other lines and know how the system works. Not only would they get your cash up front, but they'd also get to keep a percentage for themselves when the cruiseline agrees to take a lesser amount at the last minute.

HAL was still "negotiating" with them. Just can't help but wonder if the TA didn't bargain HAL down to a lower price than they had charged you. .

No. I asked her what she meant by negotiating......she just meant that she had given them a deadline.....if they didn't meet the deadline she would have to try again. They DID meet the deadline.....WHEW!

It is an education and a half reading all those posts on Trip Advisor. I'm beginning to picture this "agency" as a few people working out of someone's basement....who have a sophisticated scam going. Some common denominators that jump out:

1) The people who have the most problems are the ones who have booked the most expensive cruises. Nobody is really complaining about a problem on a $500 cruise to the Caribbean. Likewise, nobody is complaining about a $100 double billing.....it's usually in the thousands.

2) Clients are often told that they are booked under group rates; and when the prices drop for their particular cruises, they don't get the reduced rates because of their "group" bookings. Another opportunity for the agency to pocket some extra money? For that matter, what are the probabilities that this agency actually books any group space?

3) Quite often those attractive discounts and cabin credits are never delivered. After booking and paying off their cruises many months ahead of time to take advantage of special discounts, clients are often dismayed to find their credit cards charged for the full amount....or even more. It's always explained as an error by their "accounting department," a "computer error," or a "cruiseline error." It frequently takes months and many calls to the agency and credit card companies to get reimbursement. Some never get it.

4) Some clients.....who think their problems are resolved when their cruise is finally paid off and taken.....are dismayed to find additional unidentifiable charges by this agency on their credit cards. I guess they figure that if you have a good credit card available with a high spending limit, you might as well use it when you're a little short on cash. As Dr. Phil says, people do what works for them.

My favorite tale was from a guy who lives in Georgia who canceled a cruise and can't get his money back. After getting the runaround for four months, he went down to Florida to look them up. He said he went to three listed addresses and all he found was a UPS mail box and information they had moved with no forwarding address. This was in April, so who knows whether he has made any progress.

Karen.....these people are pros. Do what everyone has been begging you to do.....have your credit card company issue a new card. You are going to be gone for 67 days and not in a good position to be calling your credit card company every day if these clowns charge you several thousand dollars and tie up money you may be planning to use on your cruise.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of these days, this agency will have their phones disconnected and leave town.

Karen, whenever I leave on vacation, I alert my credit card company that I will be away and tell them where I will be so they can watch for charges that are fraud. However, in this case, I really think you need to change the CC numbers to protect yourself. How could this TA come up with the money so fast? He must have used other people's cards to raise this cash he didn't have. Be smart and change numbers. In the long run, it will be less aggrevating to change how your bills get paid than to come home to a mess of charges that don't belong to you. You should at least discuss it with the card companies.

Karen, I hope the outstanding issue with this travel agent is minor and is taken care of quickly.

quote]

accmember ...Please re-read the last 5 or 6 back pages..

Karen's problem was resolved...Perhaps you skipped over all those posts..

To prevent that from occurring, talk to your credit card companies (for which the TA has the card numbers) and ask them to issue new numbers. You should have new cards before you sail. I don't know if you can also specify that NO charges are to be authorized to that TA, but you can ask.

Mary Ellen...You are beating a dead horse! Karen did talk to her credit card company..This same suggestion was made several pages back by others... Guess you also skipped over the last 5 or 6 pages of others who have suggested the same things..Karen also explained why she was reluctant to change the numbers & also said the credit card company cannot stop one agent from putting through a charge..Many posters suggested that even though it's a lot of work for her to do with with her creditors, it still might be worth it in the long run..

Sorry folks, Don't mean to criticize, but Karen has been very kind in keeping us abreast of the entire situation... It's a long thread, but it behooves all of us to at least read all the posts by Kween Karen (as the original OP) before making suggestions & comments.. JMO

Karen, you truly are a very gracious lady who handled your problem with much dignity..I'm not sure I wouldn't have blown up much earlier...It's wonderful to know that you have been satisfied & you are on your way to an exciting adventure..Hope you have a wonderful cruise & May the wind always be at your back..

Thanks for starting & following through on this thread!

Betty

Mary Ellen...You are beating a dead horse! Karen did talk to her credit card company..This same suggestion was made several pages back by others... Guess you also skipped over the last 5 or 6 pages of others who have suggested the same things..Karen also explained why she was reluctant to change the numbers & also said the credit card company cannot stop one agent from putting through a charge..Many posters suggested that even though it's a lot of work for her to do with with her creditors, it still might be worth it in the long run..

Sorry folks, Don't mean to criticize, but Karen has been very kind in keeping us abreast of the entire situation... It's a long thread, but it behooves all of us to at least read all the posts by Kween Karen (as the original OP) before making suggestions & comments.. JMO

[

Did you perhaps think I might have been responding to the post above the one of mine you quoted, or didn't you read that one. I don't mean to criticize.

Karen...here's my suggestion. Authorize one of your adult children to have access and act for you with your credit card companies while you are away. Do it in writing and follow up with a phone call to make sure they have your permission to speak freely regarding your account and have the power to put a charge in dispute.

Then...go on your cruise and forget about monitoring your cards. Let your newly-authorized child to do it FOR you. Have them go on-line and scrutinize the bill for any charges by this agency and if they appear, have this child call and immediately put the charge in dispute. No worries about running afoul of the 60-day limit for disputes if you have someone at home minding the store for you.

This avoids the need to cancel a card and change around automatic payments. This frees you from this worry to enjoy your trip.

It is an education and a half reading all those posts on Trip Advisor. I'm beginning to picture this "agency" as a few people working out of someone's basement....who have a sophisticated scam going. Some common denominators that jump out:

1) The people who have the most problems are the ones who have booked the most expensive cruises. Nobody is really complaining about a problem on a $500 cruise to the Caribbean. Likewise, nobody is complaining about a $100 double billing.....it's usually in the thousands.

2) Clients are often told that they are booked under group rates; and when the prices drop for their particular cruises, they don't get the reduced rates because of their "group" bookings. Another opportunity for the agency to pocket some extra money? For that matter, what are the probabilities that this agency actually books any group space?

3) Quite often those attractive discounts and cabin credits are never delivered. After booking and paying off their cruises many months ahead of time to take advantage of special discounts, clients are often dismayed to find their credit cards charged for the full amount....or even more. It's always explained as an error by their "accounting department," a "computer error," or a "cruiseline error." It frequently takes months and many calls to the agency and credit card companies to get reimbursement. Some never get it.

4) Some clients.....who think their problems are resolved when their cruise is finally paid off and taken.....are dismayed to find additional unidentifiable charges by this agency on their credit cards. I guess they figure that if you have a good credit card available with a high spending limit, you might as well use it when you're a little short on cash. As Dr. Phil says, people do what works for them.

My favorite tale was from a guy who lives in Georgia who canceled a cruise and can't get his money back. After getting the runaround for four months, he went down to Florida to look them up. He said he went to three listed addresses and all he found was a UPS mail box and information they had moved with no forwarding address. This was in April, so who knows whether he has made any progress.

Karen.....these people are pros. Do what everyone has been begging you to do.....have your credit card company issue a new card. You are going to be gone for 67 days and not in a good position to be calling your credit card company every day if these clowns charge you several thousand dollars and tie up money you may be planning to use on your cruise.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of these days, this agency will have their phones disconnected and leave town.

Tricia your post is excellent as you have re-iterated some of the fraudulent things to watch for...Would you or someone else be so kind to post the Trip Advisor URL on this agent..I seem to be Googling the wrong thing..Do I have to join trip advisor to read these posts?

Karen...mamaofami mentioned that she calls her credit card companies & tells them where she will be so they can watch for these charges...I do the same..I give them my full itinerary & the dates..They will then watch & check out where I am..If a fraudulent charge comes up, they will try to contact me or flag the charge..One time when I was just back from a trip they asked to speak to me on the phone when I went to charge something in my home town..I was very happy with that..

For those who have Fla Agents: Not all TA's register with the BBB, but all agents must be registered with the Dept. of Agriculture in Fla..

To check out your Florida Agent call The Consumer Affairs Dept in the Fla. Dept of Agriculture..They will tell you if there are any complaints registered against your Agent: The Number is: 1-800 435-7352..they are open Mon. to Fri until 4:45..

Good luck...Betty

Did you perhaps think I might have been responding to the post above the one of mine you quoted, or didn't you read that one. I don't mean to criticize.

No I didn't! Please tell me how was I, or anyone else, to know to whom you were responding, since you did not quote another's post?

Cruise Critic guidelines suggest that you quote or mention the person you are responding to...There is no way to determine whose post you will follow.

Betty

Archived