"Agency issue"....???

Kween Karen

I have followed your trials and tribulations over the past few days, but you have received so many good sugestions from fellow CC'ers and help from the "Lady @ HAL" that I did not think I could add anything of use.

My congratulations in getting it all sorted out and I look forward to reading your Blog of the Trip.

What I can't quite understand is why someone at HAL last year gave Karen a noncommittal reply (something like "we do a lot of business with them" IIRC) when she asked, instead of a warning of some sort. I wouldn't trust a stockbroker who gives "buy" advice on every single stock, so why can't HAL give an advisory on TAs that have clearly caused problems in the past?

What could the agency do if they learned that HAL was warning people away? Stop booking HAL cruises? Would that be a bad thing for HAL? I think NOT!

When I told the HAL lady that I had called (16 months ago) to check out this agency.....she said things have changed since then.

She told me yesterday that HAL is no longer doing business with this agency.

There are several RED FLAGS that should tell you to RUN

1)if a TA offers a discount for paying in full well ahead of final payment date RUN

2)If they ask you to pay cash or cheque to the agency..RUN

3)if the payment you make goes to the agency & not the cruise line RUN

4)check your cruise line account & if the payment does not show in 2 days after payment is made...CALL the TA & the cruiseline TAKE ACTION RIGHT AWAY

GREAT ADVICE FOR ALL.

Do we know which agency this was/is?

It’s shameful that this agency continues to operate in spite of long-standing & persistent complaints about them. Karen’s situation is not unique – just take a look at the 7 pages of sad stories about them reported on TripAdvisor. No doubt, this agency is not alone in poor business practices. There are others just waiting for unsuspecting victims to fall prey.

It’s up to us as consumers to do everything we can within our control to limit our exposure to such agencies & their bad practices.

What can we do? We’ve heard it all before. Check the local BBB for their rating of any company BEFORE doing business with them. In this instance, the TA has a D rating with the Central Florida BBB. Google the name of the company to find any reviews/reports posted on independent sites (such as CC parent site TripAdvisor). Read what other travelers have experienced. Be wary of glowing testimonials posted only on the company’s home page. Ask questions about payment & billing practices BEFORE you commit funds. Get details in writing if need be. Verify charges to your cc shortly after all transactions are made. Follow-up immediately if any discrepancies.

In the end, it really is buyer beware & we must do everything we can to protect ourselves.

I know this may be the last thing you want to do after all of the stress of the last week, but you should look up the agency on "Bing" and "Google" and post a review and a link to the BBB "D" rating as well as a link to this thread to warn others who may not know and who might not get the favorable end result you got. Since most of us have no personal experience with the agency it would not be appropriate for any of us to do it. Also maybe contact your local paper and USAToday travel section with your information.

You deserve your dream cruise, and enjoy and thanks for sharing your horror story with us I LEARNED A LOT FROM YOUR EXPERIENCES.

First, Karen I am very happy that your Agency problems have been solved. Nobody needs that kind of hassle re booking a cruise.

I thought that I would add a different point of view re this agency( I know I'll get blasted for this). At present, I have 3 cruises booked through this Agency. Full payment has been made in a timely fashion on the first 2 of these cruises.( Eurodam on Aug 27 and "O" Nautica on Oct 17). The third cruise on Oceania next year has been paid in full and yes, most of the payment has been retained by the "store" until final payment date. The 10% savings that this method of payment provided is important to me and allows me to cruise more. Each to his or her own, but this has been my experience with this agency.The particular agent(a leather tanner in a different life!!) has always been most helpful. John H

When I told the HAL lady that I had called (16 months ago) to check out this agency.....she said things have changed since then.

She told me yesterday that HAL is no longer doing business with this agency.

First, please know I've been following this thread since your first post and am THRILLED and DELIGHTED everything has finally worked in your favor!!!:D

I have a question about the above quote. I'd guess the obvious answer is yes but does this mean they have released your reservation back to HAL?

I only ask because if you are still booked thru this particular agency, how will you get cruise documents, etc.... if HAL is no longer doing business with them?

Again, I am SO happy for you. :D

John, I'm not going to blast you, just hope that everything turns out well for you! Be careful......... (And now I'm going to go put my feet up and resume eating my bon-bons which I was precluded from doing the last 6 days because I was glued to this thread.)

Things change. Though in the not too distant past, this may have been a very reputible agency that was honorable and conducted their business appropriately, it is possible these tough economic times hit them hard and they got desperate.

Desparate people (companies) do desparate things.

In this day and age, a reference of as little as 6 months ago may no longer be accurate for today.

It is dangerous to trust too much these days.

This is NOT to say there aren't plenty of very honest, scrupulous businesses and TA's because there are. But there are also some on the 'dark side'.

First, please know I've been following this thread since your first post and am THRILLED and DELIGHTED everything has finally worked in your favor!!!:D

I have a question about the above quote. I'd guess the obvious answer is yes but does this mean they have released your reservation back to HAL?

I only ask because if you are still booked thru this particular agency, how will you get cruise documents, etc.... if HAL is no longer doing business with them?

Again, I am SO happy for you. :D

HAL now favors e-docs. No need for TA to forward docs anymore.

First, Karen I am very happy that your Agency problems have been solved. Nobody needs that kind of hassle re booking a cruise.

I thought that I would add a different point of view re this agency( I know I'll get blasted for this). At present, I have 3 cruises booked through this Agency. Full payment has been made in a timely fashion on the first 2 of these cruises.( Eurodam on Aug 27 and "O" Nautica on Oct 17). The third cruise on Oceania next year has been paid in full and yes, most of the payment has been retained by the "store" until final payment date. The 10% savings that this method of payment provided is important to me and allows me to cruise more. Each to his or her own, but this has been my experience with this agency.The particular agent(a leather tanner in a different life!!) has always been most helpful. John H

You might want to check with HAL and make sure that they have your money for these cruises. Don't wait till it is too late. By next year, they may be out of business.

For those still curious: the fifth letter of the alphabet is E.

We all like to CRUISE.

I've got to go now. Have to go to the STORE.

What can we do? We’ve heard it all before. Check the local BBB for their rating of any company BEFORE doing business with them. In this instance, the TA has a D rating with the Central Florida BBB.

I would not put too much faith in BBB

Read the guidelines for submitting a complaint ...

HAL has a D rating

http://www.bbb.org/western-washington/business-reviews/travel-agencies-and-bureaus/holland-america-line-westours-in-seattle-wa-501331

It does not mean they are not to be dealt with though

Carnival has a F rating

Karen, I hope the outstanding issue with this travel agent is minor and is taken care of quickly.

The sad part about this is that other people too are victims of the ta's unethical business practices. It won't be long until someone else is in the exact same position you were in.

I feel that websites like this should run stories on the first page about dishonest business practices and alert people of some of some of these companies.

It wouldn't surprise me if they operate as under different names too. (especially since you say HAL isn't dealing with them anymore).

I don't know who you have booked with, but it's just a matter of time before they close and set up again, under a different name. Same business practices, different name.

After you posted your blog address, I had a chance to look at the blog, what a fantastic itinerary. I have been to some of the places you will be visiting, and I am more than happy to help you if you need information about some of these ports. Please let me know if I maybe of help.

This thread means a LOT to me......I feel so honored and lucky to have such community. I would REALLY hate to lose this thread......I have read back many times to soak in the support and keep track of the ideas. I have learned to much and feel many others have too.

I have been SO careful through all of this not to break the rules and mention the actual name of the agency. I think there have been enough clues on here now and ways for people to trace the agency. I feel people have the right to know.....but there are rules here we need to follow. Use the clues and read carefully.

I am afraid someone is going to actually name them here and we will lose this thread. I don't want to lose it. Just asking for extra care please.

YES YES YES!! I told Tracy at HAL that I was going to write a letter praising her efforts. She is going to send me the correct information of who to write to.

Bye the way.....this is the main part of her job (she is the only one who handles these things). I was amazed when she said it was not totally unusual. She said 98% of the TA's are honest and reputable.........I happened to get hooked up with the other 2%.

I have prayed for you in this situation. I'm so happy this has been resolved--at least for you. Now, I'm concerned about others of us who might be faced with the same situation. Would you mind emailing me the name of the agency so I can be alert? Thanks. kathypeters 123 at bellsouth dot net.

So, I wonder if HAL will be paying this particular TA their commission? They should deduct an hourly charge.

Karen.

Just went on the site and till now they are still selling HAL cruises. On trip advisor there has to be 6 pages of 99% complaints. The sad thing is there are some dating back to 2007. How many other victims are out there that don't read CC and Trip advisor.

You were given good advice on canceling the Credit cards you used with this company. All you have to do is call and tell them you want to open a new account number. This company seem to thrive on recharging credit cards 2 or 3 times for the same booking. They need to be shut down....

We should all try to get the word out on the other cruise sites also, so maybe we can stop someone else before its to late...

This thread means a LOT to me......I feel so honored and lucky to have such community. I would REALLY hate to lose this thread......I have read back many times to soak in the support and keep track of the ideas. I have learned to much and feel many others have too.

I have been SO careful through all of this not to break the rules and mention the actual name of the agency. I think there have been enough clues on here now and ways for people to trace the agency. I feel people have the right to know.....but there are rules here we need to follow. Use the clues and read carefully.

I am afraid someone is going to actually name them here and we will lose this thread. I don't want to lose it. Just asking for extra care please.

Karen at this point I doubt seriously CC would pull the thread all they would do is ******* if it was named. This is all good information for CCers and if the company evenutally does go under then we will all know but for now it is Buyer Beware or actually it should be phrased futurebuyers "Buyer Be Smart" In your case you were being very smart and asked all the right questions in the begining to HAL unfortunately as it has been mentioned what was accurate info 6 months could change quickly.

You were given good advice on canceling the CC cards you used with this company. All you have to do is call and tell them you want to open a new account number. This company seem to thrive on recharging credit cards 2 or 3 times for the same booking. They need to be shut down.....
I have to agree with changing your CC number. I've been fortunate and only had problems with fradulent charges once. I questioned the amount (it was under $100) and was able to get the issue resolved within a few weeks. The CC company told me that I had two options for the charge:

1)they could issue a temporary credit for the amount but if the investigattion showed it was a valid charge, I would be liable for interest on the amount during the course of the investigation

2)I could pay it and they would issue a credit later if the outcome was in my favor

Since it was a small amount, I paid it and got the credit later, and I got a new card number. I don't know what I would have done if it had been a larger amount (like the price of a world cruise!). I can't imagine what the interest on that would be after 3 or 4 months IF they decided the charge was valid!

I read the postings on Trip Advisor. Some people said they had mysterious charges happen months after their cruise and it took months to get the problems resolved. I think it would be easier to switch the CC number on some auto-pay bills than deal with fraudulent charges.

And I wonder how much money has been lost AND WILL BE LOST, and how much aggravation has been caused AND WILL BE CAUSED because the companies involved, CC and CC, won't let the rest of the cruising world know what we all know now....I think that it's the first CC that I mentioned, should not allow the agency to "use" their site.....So come on CEO Bob, do the right thing....

Hi L..Agree with you..However Cruise Critic probably is afraid of becoming embroiled in a possible Law Suit for slander....Last year, when another Agency went bust, CC finally permitted the name of the Agent to be posted only after it closed & the media & Attorney General became involved...Perhaps someone who has been burned should file a complaint with the Fla Attorney General & also write to a Consumer advocate in a TV station in Lake Mary or Orlando..

Things change. Though in the not too distant past, this may have been a very reputible agency that was honorable and conducted their business appropriately, it is possible these tough economic times hit them hard and they got desperate.

Desparate people (companies) do desparate things.

In this day and age, a reference of as little as 6 months ago may no longer be accurate for today.

It is dangerous to trust too much these days.

This is NOT to say there aren't plenty of very honest, scrupulous businesses and TA's because there are. But there are also some on the 'dark side'.

John, understand your point of view & it's great that you have never had a problem but think about what Sail has said "Things change".. "desperate people (companies) do desperate things"

Karen also was told that "HAL no longer works with this Agent..

Perhaps you didn't read my post No. 437 in this thread..I was in the International Airline travel field for 32 years.. In those years, I've seen many Travel Agents who have been honest & wonderful to work with until they ran into financial or personal problems..

Our company & I personally dealt with a reputable Travel Agent for at least 10 years...They gave us a great deal of group business...This Agent & his wife, gave DH & me our Honeymoon in Aruba..They threw lavish parties & many of our Company Staff as well as staff from TWA were always invited..In addition, he gave very expensive gifts to Management & those who handled his groups...(Yes in those days we were permitted to accept the gifts)

What a disaster it became when he ran off with another woman & took the $$$$ from his Company bank account... Not only his family but our Company & his Passengers suffered..We had hundreds of cancelled seats, as we could not give his passengers what they paid for unless they paid us again..

He was apprehended about 12 years later & spent some time in jail, but all the money was gone..."

You can never tell! So as others have said: Be careful!

There is a large, well known, & excellent Travel Wholesaler on the East Coast who has dealt with my DH's company (a major International Company) for years..They have always delivered what they advertise & have never given us a problem..We've booked 5 or 6 large trips with them which were quite expensive..They also offer a 5% discount if you pay in full at booking..We took the discount once, but it was not worth it as all I did was worry..We book longer trips & would love to have that 5% but still would not take the chance since they don't have to pay the supplier until final payment is due..

Sorry for such a long post..

JMO...Betty

Archived