Whale found wrapped around bow of Sapphire Princess!

Fisherwoman

Great! Now Green Peace, Paul Watson and the Sea Sheppard Society will go nuts.

The whale had to have been dead/very sick before it was hit and got 'hung up'. I spent 20 years at sea as a professional mariner (mostly on that coast) and know there's absolutely no way a live, healthy whale (no matter the species) would allow itself to be hit.

Great! Now Green Peace, Paul Watson and the Sea Sheppard Society will go nuts.

The whale had to have been dead/very sick before it was hit and got 'hung up'. I spent 20 years at sea as a professional mariner (mostly on that coast) and know there's absolutely no way a live, healthy whale (no matter the species) would allow itself to be hit.

Say what, so why did Princess got fined and paid $750,000.00 for the killing of a humpback whale (Dawn Princess). Maybe you have a point, I would not 'allow' myself to be hit by a car but things like that do happen. I am thinking it didn't 'allow' it, it happened by surprise....maybe?

January 2007

Princess Cruises

Dawn Princess,

The cruise line agreed to a plea bargain under which it pays a fine of $200,000 and restitution of $550,000 after criminal charges were filed. The company was charged with failing to operate at a slow, safe speed while near humpback whales and in 2001 hit and killed a humpback.

$750,000

Say what, so why did Princess got fined and paid $750,000.00 for the killing of a humpback whale (Dawn Princess). Maybe you have a point, I would not 'allow' myself to be hit by a car but things like that do happen. I am thinking it didn't 'allow' it, it happened by surprise....maybe?

January 2007

Princess Cruises

Dawn Princess,

The cruise line agreed to a plea bargain under which it pays a fine of $200,000 and restitution of $550,000 after criminal charges were filed. The company was charged with failing to operate at a slow, safe speed while near humpback whales and in 2001 hit and killed a humpback.

$750,000

Notice that this incident happened in 2001. The regulations concerning cruise ships in whale inhabited waters have been strengthened since then. Also, the severity of the fine was because the humpback whale is on the endangered species list.

Notice that this incident happened in 2001. The regulations concerning cruise ships in whale inhabited waters have been strengthened since then. Also, the severity of the fine was because the humpback whale is on the endangered species list.

Thanks for the additional information. I was thinking, DH could not get $750,000 for me which is probably why I am still around;)

Thanks for the additional information. I was thinking, DH could not get $750,000 for me which is probably why I am still around;)

I put this in the other active thread on this subject, but I'll post it here too...

http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2007/01/princess-cruise-lines-pleads-guilty-killing-humpback-whale

Say what, so why did Princess got fined and paid $750,000.00 for the killing of a humpback whale (Dawn Princess).

The reason was - sometimes political 'correctness' and/or expediency sometimes override common sense and the facts.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the SA on Saturday, July 25th. Prior to leaving the whale had to be removed from the bow of the ship. The following day the Naturalist on board spoke about the incident and said that in his opinion the whale must have been sick or already dead.

1778230195_118DeadWhale.jpg.c237db4497b2e9a97ea1518a9b18f9a5.jpg

What a totally disgusting thing to say. :mad:

I agree TOTALLY. Sushi is just GROSS!! Now, lightly breaded and sauteed in butter and white wine would be different... :D

C'mon... don't be so grim and humorless!

I agree TOTALLY. Sushi is just GROSS!! Now, lightly breaded and sauteed in butter and white wine would be different... :D

C'mon... don't be so grim and humorless!

Exactly... if it was a Norwegian Cruise Lineship... they would have fried it on the deck barbie

We were on the SA on Saturday, July 25th. Prior to leaving the whale had to be removed from the bow of the ship. The following day the Naturalist on board spoke about the incident and said that in his opinion the whale must have been sick or already dead.
Thank you for this feedback.

The original news on this said that an autopsy was to be performed to verify the health of the whale (or lack thereof).

The cruise line agreed to a plea bargain under which it pays a fine of $200,000 and restitution of $550,000 .....

does that go to the family of the whale?

they could serve it as sushi in horizon court
to funny,or sell it to Japanese Whale hunters, should cover the fine.

Archived