Tipping in Europe

GlendaleCruiser

I've heard that tipping is far different in Europe than it is in the USA. We will be spending three days in Rome, and taking many other excursions in port cities. Most of our transportation is already paid for and we have vouchers for them (transfers to hotel and ship, etc).

So my question is: When we eat at a restaurant in Rome or use a transfer voucher, etc. What is the norm for tipping in Europe (primarily Italy, Spain, Monaco). I want to take enough Euros and don't want to overtip, but don't want to be taken advantage of, either.

Hello,

I agree with the previous poster that you will see a "service" charge added to your bill. However, if you get really excellent service you can leave some "extra" on the table.

Some notes for you...water is not free in Italian restaurants. You buy a liter of water and the waiter/waitress will ask you if you want gas (sparkling mineral water) or no gas. And remember, waiters and waitresses are professionals in Europe, not high school students and treat them as professionals. Sadly, too many Americans do not.

There are McDonald's in Europe, where the restrooms are free and the ice cream cones are the same as here. McDonald's however are staffed by young people.

Have some idea about currency conversions, that is, research the internet for the cost of Euros as compared to the dollar. I say this because you should not be surprised at the cost of things in Italy...not prohibitive but different. Do not hesitate to take public transportation as the italians are an especially friendly and helpful group. But if you need assistance ask someone who is well dressed (a man in a coat and tie or a woman in business dress) because they can usually speak English.

And...a secret to eating well without breaking the bank. Most italian restaurants serve pizze which to you is pizza and there are all kinds. At dinner for example a great pizza for one in a nice place will be about 6-10 Euros, and this will fill you up very nicely (my opinion).

And...get Rick Steve's book on Italy as his suggestions about hotels, restaurants, and sights/insights are well worth the money.

If you eat in a restaurant, you may note a charge for "pan e copierto" on your bill. This translates to a charge for bread and cover (literally your linens) and is not a service charge.

Tipping is more discretionary and certainly not at levels we consider "obligatory" in the US. I generally tip a euro per bag for transfers, but only if they really give me a hand with luggage (not just the basic hand over and stow).

As in most hotels, it is customary to leave a small tip for your maid.

Even if there is 'service' on your restaurant bill, it is nice to at least 'round up' with a tip if service was good. If the bill comes to 17 Euro, you might leave 20..... we would, at least, if not more depending .....

Even if there is 'service' on your restaurant bill, it is nice to at least 'round up' with a tip if service was good. If the bill comes to 17 Euro, you might leave 20..... we would, at least, if not more depending .....

Wow, that's an 18% tip....on top of the 18% service charge. You are quite generous; however for the OP's benefit, it's not customary or expected to tip at that level.

In truth, I was thinking in terms of US $$, I wasn't thinking Euro. :eek:

No, we would not leave 18% tip on top of service already added.

My point was to leave something above if service was good and you enjoyed.

Good things to know.

Hope I can add and additional question...I'm handling arrangements for transport from Rome city center to the cruise port. It's a set amount for the large van but was questioning what to add in for tip. On Romeinlimo's web site (not using them but they mentioned it), they recommended a tip of 10-20% for the driver. 20% seems way to high considering what we're paying for the transport itself. Do you think figuring a 10% add on it sufficient and let people add drop a euro or two in the driver's tip jar if they want? Or is 10% being cheap?

Good things to know.

Hope I can add and additional question...I'm handling arrangements for transport from Rome city center to the cruise port. It's a set amount for the large van but was questioning what to add in for tip. On Romeinlimo's web site (not using them but they mentioned it), they recommended a tip of 10-20% for the driver. 20% seems way to high considering what we're paying for the transport itself. Do you think figuring a 10% add on it sufficient and let people add drop a euro or two in the driver's tip jar if they want? Or is 10% being cheap?

IMO, a 10% tip is perfectly fine.

Part of the reason tipping is not as common in Europe is that all workers are already receiving a decent wage; they are not expected to make it up in tips as many in the service industry in the US are. So please don't feel like you are stiffing anyone by not tipping at the same level as in the US.

Also, not to be too confusing, but there are differences in tipping norms between European countries. It's a little more prevalent in France than Italy, and a little less so in Spain.

We have purchased ship transfers and some ship excursions. What if anything

should we tip for the transfers, for the excursions?

I am especially interested because of the currency conversion. If were going

to be in USA I would be comfortable. But I am not at all used to Euros

or Pounds. We will be in England, France and Ireland.

Thanks,

Foreigner's LOVE to see Americans coming....we tip waaay above and beyond for service! Tipping is a mostly American thing....and we generally tip way too much!

As someone has already posted everyone in Europe has to be paid at least the minimum wage by law, presently around $9 per hour in the UK. Tipping is not allowed to be seen as part of that wage. Giving 10% is around the norm - for good service.-jocap.

In the UK I would not tip at all for the transport to or from the ship and in most European countries it wouldn't be expected. They are paid for it, so unless they do something exceptional there is no need to tip.

In a restaurant no more than 10% and only if they offer very good service. If there is a service charge then don’t tip at all and if you are in the UK you can have the service charge removed if you don't agree that the service was good enough. I am not sure if you can do this in other European countries or not.

We have purchased ship transfers and some ship excursions. What if anything

should we tip for the transfers, for the excursions?

I am especially interested because of the currency conversion. If were going

to be in USA I would be comfortable. But I am not at all used to Euros

or Pounds. We will be in England, France and Ireland.

Thanks,

We are waiting for information from our TA on exactly what the transfer vouchers are worth so that we can appropriately tip the drivers. I appreciate all the information and we will use 10% as a general guide.

I know that the OP was mostly interested in tipping in southern Europe but maybe someone else can be interested in this:

In Sweden you never have to give a tip for anything. No servicecharge is added either. The price you see on a menu in a restaurant is what you pay, nothing is added. Sometimes they charge for water, look in the menu.

Foreigner's LOVE to see Americans coming....we tip waaay above and beyond for service! Tipping is a mostly American thing....and we generally tip way too much!

Tipping appears to be almost an obession with some Americans.

You have to remember that many European countries have minimum wages set by the government - therefore the need to top up a low basic wage with tip is not really required - as it is in other places. If you feel obliged to tip rounding to nearest unit or leave a couple of 1 euro / pound coins is often more than enough.

We are waiting for information from our TA on exactly what the transfer vouchers are worth so that we can appropriately tip the drivers. I appreciate all the information and we will use 10% as a general guide.

We would never tip on a ships transfer to or from the port. You are not getting a guided tour. Maybe a euro or two if you had to have a lot of luggage handled. Think about what a tip is supposed to be for.

For your ship excursions I'd tip the guides if you think they performed above and beyond what you think you already paid for. The thought of tipping on top of the high prices of a ship's excursion is scary....especially when posters are adding another 20%????:eek: For a 20% tip, I'd expect to get a foot massage after the tour! :D

Archived