I miss HAL?!?

CJcruzer

currently on the Crown Princess and I MISS HAL - I miss the bread pudding, I miss the crew, I miss EVERYTHING!:(

will write more about our Princess experience once home, while not bad, it has not lived up to our expectations and there is quite a lot "lacking" - even though there are 3000 people on this ship....

Maybe you've learned your lesson!............(LOL)........Just Kidding!

Hope you survive it and come back to tell the tale.

With 3000 of your closest friends, you'll have a lot to tell.

If HAL does not have a specific itinerary you want there is nothing you can do. I plan on booking 2 Princess Cruises for 2011 because of their repositioning itineraries that no other line will offer, and are on my list of places I have yet to visit. But, with 2-7 day cruises I get to cover lots of territory that would be almost impossible with other lines. I know for a fact that CCer's have rated Princess Cruises in general-a step below HAL-from the onset!

We tried Royal Caribbean last year and felt the same way. The only way I would cruise RC again would be if I was going on a cruise with my daughter and grandsons. Just NOT my cup of tea!! :)

My DH and I love everything about the HAL experience!!

currently on the Crown Princess and I MISS HAL - I miss the bread pudding, I miss the crew, I miss EVERYTHING!:(

will write more about our Princess experience once home, while not bad, it has not lived up to our expectations and there is quite a lot "lacking" - even though there are 3000 people on this ship....

Hope things improve for you... Maybe a delicious bread pudding will appear on the menu!!!

Enjoy the rest of your cruise and look forward to hearing about the Princess/HAL comparison from your experiences!!!

:D:D:D

I'm sorry you do not like the cruise you are on. Which ship and what itinerary are you on?

Princess is my second favorite cruise line, but I have only been on Grand Class ships. For me Carnival was the worst experience. But if the price was right and only Carnival was doing the itinerary I wanted, then I would book again.

While on Carnival, it helped to not compare it to HAL. Instead I started looking for the positives. I hope this tip works for you.

I am looking forward to your review.

This EXACTLY mirrors our feelings on the Crown last February! Too big and way too many people. We decided that we would not stray again - just not for us.

As I sit here in my office in Manhattan, Illinois, I must say that I too miss HAL but for a different reason. If I was into bumper stickers--I am not--I would get one that said, I would rather be at sea! Sorry Princess was not that hot for you.

CJ I am sorry to hear that especially since the Crown is actually the next ship that we will take a Full 7 day cruise on this coming February:o (We have the 2 day coming up in November but that does not count for a real cruise ;))

Looking forward to hearing about the details when you get home. But for now enjoy the British Isles :)

Sorry you are less than satisifed.

We learned our lesson long ago :) and now only sail HAL. We have no desire to sail any other cruise line any time soon.

Tried others (a number of times) and HAL is the best for US.

Ah, yes... but you DO have the wonderful (former HAL) hotel manager, James Deering aboard, and WE miss HIM!

Candy

My sister swears by Princess and is up to their Platinum level, so when we finally get to take a cruise together, I think it will be on "her" line. When we had lunch aboard Westerdam a couple of months ago (thank you, TA!) she had a great time. When our self-guided tour was over, though, she made the most extraordinary remark: "Princess is much more luxurious." When I pressed her for specifics, she mentioned the decor and the thick carpeting in the public areas. I think her last cruise was on the Grand Princess.

Different strokes, folks. I prefer a ship to LOOK like a ship.

Mrs M

I feel that way on some of my Carnival sailings. Now don't get me wrong, I like sailing on Carnival and will do so in a heartbeat, but it's the little touches on HAL that make me think about them all of the time.

I love sailing on the "S" class ships because of the smaller number of cruisers on board, the yum yum man ringing the bell announcing dinner,the promenade deck,the thermal spa.

That what make me come back time and time again!!

Happy sailing!!

HAL SAILINGS

Oosterdam 7 day cruise 2004

Westerdam 7 day cruise 2005

Maasdam 10 day cruise 2007

Maasdam 14 day cruise 2008

Maasdam 11 day cruise December 6, 2010

----------------

Now playing: Jamie Bonk - Wiggle

via FoxyTunes

well, I can say now that we have had sea day - the thermal suite is a joke, boy, do i really appreciate HAL's even on the smaller ships that don't have the bigger Vista ship thalassotherapy pools....Formal night - big lobstair tail with 2 large jumbo shrimps - I would say the dining room food (dinners) are just as good as HAL.....

Trying to find a quiet spot to sit and read or work on my Sudoku/Kakuro puzzles is quite a challenge - no little nooks or crannies, also - 6 chairs (like table and chairs) in the library - the library is probably the size of my cabin!!!

While not a bad cruise, I just mss HAL --- and sailing on smaller ships...

the international cafe has nice dishes (quiches, waldorf salad, etc) desserts, cookies - the gelato cost $$

The pizza upstairs is very good - going on the Veendam in Feb around the horn (I am dreaming of bread pudding, balcony cabin and....) and hope their new pizza area is good also.

Have made a lot of nice friends on the ship *(private tours, etc) -- but the staff is not quite as friendly on the whole - and the LIDO morning buffet is really a shambles and how can you serve a waffle, or french toast that is cold!!!:eek::eek: shameful!

Carol

I miss HAL the minute I get off of one of her "DAM" ships. We are presently counting down days to our 33 day cruise coming up in January (only 137 days to go). Can't wait to see all those smiling Indonesian and Filipino faces!

Thank you for posting this. We have been trying to decide between HAL and Princess for an Alaskan cruisetour. I'll be looking for your posts when you return, but this makes me lean toward HAL.

One of the things that we noted was that on the Alaskan cruisetour, HAL was in port longer than Princess, which meant that we got to see more.

Is it just our imaginations or does it seem that Princess appeals more to guests who just want to "veg out" on the cruise or get the "Readers Digest" version of the ports rather than see the sights in depth?

Know you miss HAL but at least you are on a cruise ship today.:) If you see a Lola tell her the JWJs say "hi."

We get to experience HAL for the 1st time on 12/21/09 and will be comparing HAL to Princess and Celebrity. Will be interesting for sure.

Archived