Packing for a long cruise - HELP!!!

Travelfor4

We are going on the full transit Panama Canal Cruise and there are 4 (DH and 2 small boys) of us going. I am looking for ways that people pack for a long cruise..esp since we now have to pay for baggage at the airport.

Do you take 15 days worth of clothes?

Do you wear some twice?

Do you do wash on the ship?

Does Princess offer some kind of special laundry price? For example, with NCL the have a laundry special fill the bag for $25 of wash anand press?

Do you take 3 different nights of formal attire?

Do you rent a tux from the ship? any info on this would be great...price...get for all three nights...shoes come with?

Do you take you laptop? skip it?

Anything else that might be helpful would be appreciated.

I would like to get away with only 2 checked bags and our carry ons. I am a bit worried that we are going to end up with more than we need and can carry.

We are going on the full transit Panama Canal Cruise and there are 4 (DH and 2 small boys) of us going. I am looking for ways that people pack for a long cruise..esp since we now have to pay for baggage at the airport.

Do you take 15 days worth of clothes?

Do you wear some twice?

Do you do wash on the ship?

Does Princess offer some kind of special laundry price? For example, with NCL the have a laundry special fill the bag for $25 of wash anand press?

Do you take 3 different nights of formal attire?

Do you rent a tux from the ship? any info on this would be great...price...get for all three nights...shoes come with?

Do you take you laptop? skip it?

Anything else that might be helpful would be appreciated.

I would like to get away with only 2 checked bags and our carry ons. I am a bit worried that we are going to end up with more than we need and can carry.

On Princess, since they do supply self service laundry rooms for a minimal charge, it is much more cost effect to pack for half the cruise. Then you can launder clothes for the second hald. Many times Princess offers the laundry 'all you can fit in a bag' special, but it is never guaranteed.

Mix and match clothes so that although you might be wearing the same thing, you are changing it up a bit.

Remember, depending on the stateroom category you have booked, you will also have to have space to store all these clothes. If you packed enough for the entire cruise for four passengers in one stateroom, you could run out of room for the passengers. ;)

I know it's hard to believe, but these statements are true:

Unless you wear something really outlandish, no one will notice that you're wearing the same outfit twice, be it "everyday clothes" or formal wear.

People really won't notice that your shoes might not actually specifically match the clothing you have on. Take maybe 3 pairs of shoes -- tennis or track or gym shoes, whatever you want to call them, for moving around on deck (which can be slippery); one pair of dress shoes in a neutral color, one pair of "other" shoes -- comfortable walking shoes, for example. And maybe a pair of shower or pool slippers. That's it. And you'll save a HUGE amount of space and weight in your luggage.

Lay out the clothes you think you want to take -- and start mixing and matching. Can you get 2-3 outfits out of just one "set" of clothes (different top with same bottom, scarves or shawls to dress up a top, this color and that color will go together to make an entirely new outfit, etc.)

Once you've gotten together maybe 4-5 changes, put everything else away. Really. People won't notice that maybe you've worn that blouse before!!

I don't go on vacation to do laundry. I see Princess has self-service machines. I'm not likely to use them. I'll send it out and save $$ other ways -- a couple fewer alcoholic beverages, for example.

We are firm believers of the less is more theory.

Unless you are a fashion plate/clothes horse no one will care if you are seen wearing the same shirt/shorts/whatever a few times on a cruise.

We travel light, with higher end travel clothes like Tilley that hand wash and dry very quickly in a pinch. You can also pack two-three times as much into a laundry bag if needed as travel stuff is durable but light weight.

We don't tux it up on formal night so a sport jacket and tie and nice dress for the ladies does pack easier and in fact I wear the jacket on travel days.

Our friends with kids bring travel laundry soap to wash out the spills and stains that will land daily on the little ones.

"I brought too much" is a far more common complaint than "I wish I had packed twice as much"

Oh ya, as the previous poster stated, shoes for ladies are a space hog... just bring a couple of pairs that are comfie. No one cares about your feet but your toes will thank you if you bring sensible ones.

We booked a mini suite so I hope there would be more storage than a regular cabin. We wanted a suite but the coral doesn't offer any for 4 people. I am still a bit confused on what you get with a mini over a balcony or full suite. I know it's a bit larger than a regular balcony but that's it. I am hoping for the price difference there would be more than that to it. any thoughts?

We booked a mini suite so I hope there would be more storage than a regular cabin.

A mini will offer the four of you quite a bit more room. Although we prefer a regular cabin for the two of us, it's really much too small for four people.

You'll get a bit more storage in a mini, a sofa and a second TV in the additional space.

Lew

We always rent a tux from the ship, it is more $, but worth it to us. I usually take a black skirt or slacks and a couple on fancy blouses for formal night.

We never take a laptop, we are on vacation!

One thing good about Princess, their storage in the cabin is very good.

Have a wonderful cruise!

I have been on 3 transatlantic cruises. I go to the local thrift stores & shop. I then throw my clothes away. It leaves room in my suitcase for souvineers. This is especially helpful when one is limited to weight restrictions on their " checked " luggage. No one will ever see you again, so why do you care what others think of your dress clothes?. Or if you where the same outfit more than once? I have even been known to throw my shoes away, to lighten the bags. My room attendant loves me. She gets clothes to wear. Or swap with other crew members.

Be comfortable. Be clean. Have a good time.

Do you take 15 days worth of clothes? Not even close...

Do you wear some twice? Always

Do you do wash on the ship? Yep.. the laundry's are convenient, and have ironing boards in them.

Does Princess offer some kind of special laundry price? For example, with NCL the have a laundry special fill the bag for $25 of wash anand press? I think so, if not, just pay for it.

Do you take 3 different nights of formal attire? Kinda, but no... one silky slacks & one black skirt, with three sparkly tops.

Do you rent a tux from the ship? any info on this would be great...price...get for all three nights...shoes come with? Get price from Princess website. I think it's around $80?

Do you take you laptop? skip it? Netbook. Love to download photos and check Cruise Critic!

Anything else that might be helpful would be appreciated. Most days are shorts & tees. The boys clothes should fit in small carry-ons. Don't fret. Pack light & be happy!

Hope this helps!

For formal nights, I bring one top to go with my long skirt for each 2-3 formal nights. No one sees what you are wearing except the people at your table - I assume this is your family, and they won't care. If there are other people there, they won't remember. Nancy

Do you take 15 days worth of clothes? -- I bring eight days' worth of clothes, even on a 31-day cruise.

Do you wear some twice? -- definitely. I bring mix 'n match clothing so if I wear a different top with different slacks, it's a "new" outfit.

Do you do wash on the ship? -- I now get free laundry but before I did, I would do a load or two during the week.

Does Princess offer some kind of special laundry price? For example, with NCL the have a laundry special fill the bag for $25 of wash anand press? -- sometimes although I haven't seen it offered on my last several Princess cruises.

Do you take 3 different nights of formal attire? -- I have a long, black t-shirt dress from Lands End that I wear with two different fancy shawls.

Do you rent a tux from the ship? any info on this would be great...price...get for all three nights...shoes come with? -- Not a guy. :)

Do you take you laptop? skip it? -- I bring my netbook

As the others have said, less is more. I never bring anything that I would wear once; everything has to go with at least two or three other things. I bring a pair of beige sandals, black sandals, walking sandals and lightweight shoes.

I've never been on NCL so I don't know what their storage is in cabins but you'll find a LOT of storage on Princess ships, even in standard inside or outside cabins. Here's a link to the layout of a mini-suite on the Coral Princess: http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/co/staterooms/co_mini_suite_with_balcony.html

There is an open closet outside the bathroom door the entire width of the cabin excluding the hallway. There's a shelving system/closet at the end. There are also drawers in the desk and bedside tables, and the "divider unit" between the bed and sitting area has a couple of very large shelves. While this isn't the Coral, it'll give you an idea of the size of the closet and shelves:

closetwsafe.jpg.1169fa7d4b73496e57099d39a1c9d0a0.jpg

We've done a few 14 day trips and always pack for seven, then do laundry midway. We always rent a tux/shoes instead of taking up room in a bag. Always wear pants/shorts/skirts/ multiple times, as said no one will notice except you, and really how long do you have them on with multiple changes for pool/excursions/dinner etc. Mix and match for formal or I bring light weight fabric dresses that fold up small you will have time to hang the wrinkles out or quickly press. I usually bring more shoes than I need but you could do with casual sandals/dressy sandals and walking shoes with no problem.

Our next cruise is for 18 days, so I am planning on taking my own advise much more seriously this time.:o

nobody on the boat cares what you are wearing long as you dont have mustard/ketchup stains allover (then somebody might look at you)

pack for 7 days send out laundry

on formal nights eat in specialty restaurant (dont hafta dress up ther)

always take half the clothes and twice the $ you think you need

hava great cruise

Laundry rooms are very helpful, take a few rolls of quarters along in a carryon, as sometimes the change machines are out....the new Purex sheets with detergent and fabric softener in one would be easy to carry. I also pack a stain stick, because if I am washing something, there is a 50-50 chance it's because that hole in my lower lip kicked in. :eek:

It only takes about 35 min for the washers and maybe 40-45 min for the dryers on board, so it's not a huge time commitment to run a few loads through every 4 or 5 days or so.

Also, you might want to pack a little lighter especially for the kids. T-shirts are popular souveniers and double as daytime attire.

You need comfortable walking shoes, and something for by the pool, and something for the evenings, not an entire shoe store (although I have been known to travel with a dozen pairs) Choose clothing that is pretty much wash and wear for everyday outfits, take a few pretty tops for the evening that go with basic black dress slacks.

What I do recommend is plenty of sunscreen (some of it waterproof) and some insect repellant.

Enjoy your cruise!:)

We usually end up doing some laundry - saves us from bringing so much stuff. Though I still manage to bring clothes that I never wear!

I always buy some t-shirts - so I don't bring any with me from home.

We booked a mini suite so I hope there would be more storage than a regular cabin. We wanted a suite but the coral doesn't offer any for 4 people. I am still a bit confused on what you get with a mini over a balcony or full suite. I know it's a bit larger than a regular balcony but that's it. I am hoping for the price difference there would be more than that to it. any thoughts?

You get more space, a bathtub, and a larger closet area. But, it is still only one bathroom. To manage, you might want to consider making use of the shower facilities in the Lotus Spa area, they are n/c, far more spacious than the space in the cabin, stocked with towels, and make it possible for everyone to get cleaned up more easily in a shorter time frame.

Do you take 15 days worth of clothes? No

Do you wear some twice? Absolutely

Do you do wash on the ship? Not if we can help it.

Does Princess offer some kind of special laundry price? For example, with NCL the have a laundry special fill the bag for $25 of wash anand press? This was offered twice this spring on our 14 day Golden. I think it was $20.

Do you take 3 different nights of formal attire? Wife does. I rent.

Do you rent a tux from the ship? any info on this would be great...price...get for all three nights...shoes come with? Seems like I paid $95 for 2 jackets, 2 shirts, one slacks, trimmings. Shoes are available but extra. I take my own.

Do you take you laptop? skip it? Absolutely not. I have lots of camera memory, though.

Anything else that might be helpful would be appreciated. DW takes fairly gauzy type formal stuff. No space or weight. We mix and match a lot.

See inserts.

About wearing things twice. Remember it can be very hot and humid on this cruise (we did it in April). I did not want to wear tops more than once. We did wash. I hand wash undies several times and did a couple of load on the ship. We did a full transit, we live within driving distance for LA port. We only had to fly to Fort Landerdale which made it easier for us, no International flight. Sun dresses are nice for day time and are cooler. If you visist any church you should not wear short shorts. Do bring good walking shoes very rough cobble stone in some areas. Hope this helps. Have a great cruise the canal was very interesting. Ask about the secret doors to the front decks that are unlocked for the transit.

your boys will likely be in tees and shorts all the time...bring half as much of each..then do a self serve laundrymat visit and wash them all..pjs undies etc...

for my hubby and I...I did the above with our cottons..and managed with maybe 7 tees each..and undies for half the trip..then washed them...I hand washed my bras and hung them in the shower (think I only brought 3 )..dressy stuff ..as the others have said..bring mix and match for you...hubby had two dress shirts,,one tie and one blazer...

funniest thing..hubby got choc sauce on his brand new Docker chinos the FIRST dinner...had to break down and send them to the ship cleaners..figured the $3.50 charge was worth it..they came back impeccablly pressed etc...not worth trying to clean them in the washer and then having to IRON them

you likely will have 3 sea days...we had great gatherings in the laundry rooms those days...as many many folks do their laundry to avoid massive packing..

good luck and great cruising

A few thoughts for you.

The boys only need a pair of dark pants, shirt and tie for formal nights if you were thinking they needed something more.

You will spend most of your at sea days at the pool so figure on one outfit for every two, perhaps three at sea.

Early morning and if you return early from a port day are the times I've found best for using the laundry. If you fold right out of the drier or when things are still a little damp, very little needs ironing.

Give things you are wearing more than once a rest day in between rather than wear them two days in a row.

Stick to three coordinating colours in each person's wardrobe and everything will go with everything.

I've found writing down what I will wear each and every day is the only way I can cut down on what I take and then DON'T throw in anything just in case.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.You wont believe it now but it will be a memory to be savoured even when they are grown and going off on their own cruises for their honeymoons. :)

Do you take 15 days worth of clothes? No

Do you wear some twice? Yes

Do you do wash on the ship? Sometimes, we took Purex Complete 3-in1 last time and they worked great.

Does Princess offer some kind of special laundry price? For example, with NCL the have a laundry special fill the bag for $25 of wash anand press? Yes, but I can't remember the price

Do you take 3 different nights of formal attire? No, my DH takes 1 suit/shirt/tie. But we are looking at renting a tux for him. I take 2 dresses, but they ones they have stretch in them, so they can be packed in a small ball and no wrinkles.

Do you rent a tux from the ship? any info on this would be great...price...get for all three nights...shoes come with? They come with all the trimmings, but my DH would prefer to bring his own shoes.

Do you take you laptop? skip it? I bring my netbook, for games and pictures downloads.

Anything else that might be helpful would be appreciated. We also bring a over-the-door-shoe holder that has pockets and use it to store all the small stuff that.

We've learned our lesson from several land trips that we dragged around way too much luggage, so we put together what to take, then go through and par it down by half. Like the others said, I stick with a couple of colors that go together, so I can mix and max.

You are going to have a great cruise, we are on the same one with you. Lisa

I bought my grandkids "going to Grandma's" small rolling suitcases. Your kids could pack

their coloring books, cars, etc. in them plus pj's, toiletries and undies. They are small

enough for very young kids to manage.

The inexpensive over the door shoe holders is a lifesend for managing the bathroom.

I looked in 3 different Dollar Store chains before I found one at Family Dollar. It has to

be lightweight to pack in the baggage without taking up room. Everything for the

bathroom can go in there, and the boys can keep their stuff in the lower pockets.

Don't forget clothespins for the bottom of the very friendly shower curtain, to keep

it off you.

Two rules of packing - take no unitaskers (items that cannot do doube-duty) and take things that can you can wash. My wife and I will tag-team on laundry duty so it doesn't become onerous. An hour of my cruise in order to save an entire packed bag is a good exchange.

Archived