San Diego Question

pinkbirds02

:) Looking for hotel suggestions in San Diego. We are going out a couple of days prior to our cruise in December. Looking for something close to the pier at a resonable price. Also, is there anything special we should try to do while we are there. Thanks for any help.

The Holiday Inn on the Bay is directly across the street from the cruise terminal. A bayview room allows you to watch your ship come in. They have a shuttle to the zoo, gaslight district and other shopping. We always stay there.

We have stayed many times at the Embassy Suites.

It is within walking distance of Seaport Village, Horton Plaza, the carrier Midway and Ralph's store if you have forgotten anything. Lots of restaurants at Seaport Village.

We also went out to the zoo.

You can also see your ship from the upper floors of this hotel -- ask for a bay view room.

We also like the Holiday Inn on the Bay. Walkable to the cruise ship, the Midway Aircraft Carrier & Seaport Village.

Last time we were in SD we did the Trolley Tour. Really hits the high points of the city and you can get on and off as much as you like. Even if you didn't get off the trolley it would be a great tour.

We used Priceline last time and got the Marriot Gas Lamp District and it was great (under $100 a night). FMMV. Within walking distance to wine stores, markets and many restaurants. About a 5-10 minute cab ride to the pier. One problem with Priceline is the downtown district they use also includes Harbor Island so you have a chance of not actually being downtown.

Gary

Another idea of where to stay is Coronado Island, a boat ride away from the pier. The island is home to Hotel del Coronado, of Some Like it Hot fame and is a quaint little town.

Balboa Park is one of the show cases of San Diego with many musuems and gardens- Mingei Museum is one of my favorites, Old Spanish Village with artists studies and the Gem Society, the antique carosel and of course San Diego Zoo (a day's worth of things in itself), Natural history museum, rose gardens, botanical garden. Full of the history of San Diego.

One of the best views in San Diego is from the OLd Spanish Lighthouse/Cabrillo Monument on Pt. Loma, across the harbor. YOu can see all of San Diego, Coronado Island, and the mountains beyond. Worth a trip. The best place to eat there is Pt Loma Seafoods, on the sportfishing docks of Pt Loma. A small take out with excellent seafood (crab sandwich is my favorite) but packed at lunch time.

I hope you enjoy your stay in my hometown.

SoCalnative

We stayed at the Holiday Inn. The staff is incredible. There is a shuttle to the pier. You could walk the very short distance but if you have luggage, I'd suggest you use the shuttle. It takes you right to the door. The port there is very easy to negotiate. After Port Everglades, its a dream. No waiting at all. The room at the Holiday Inn was nice. The balconies are really an awesome way to watch the ships come in or go out. There is a restaurant on-site that is pretty good and there is a seafood restaurant right across the street. It is supposed to be very good though we didn't eat there, it was too crowded the night we were there.

We have stayed at Hampton Inn several times. It is between the airport and port, has a shuttle to both places. It is a nice hotel and has a very good breakfast included. We enjoy seeing the area and love San DIego. Good restaurants and Little Italy are within walking distance but the hotel shuttle will take you to restaurants and come collect you when you call. The waterfront has lovely parks and you can see your ship from the hotel in the morning. Can not go wrong here!!

We, too, have stayed at the Hampton Inn - and we are staying there again before a cruise in January. The nightly rate is very reasonable. It is within walking distance of the pier. Little Italy (and all those great restaurants!) is a couple blocks behind the hotel. We could have asked for hotel transport, but we chose to walk. The hotel will shuttle their guests within a 3-mile radius - you just have to sign up the night before. One bit of advice if you choose to stay at the Hampton Inn - make sure you request a room located in the front of the hotel. The railroad tracks are right behind the hotel, and the trains are very loud at night when you are trying to sleep. If you have a room in the front you won't hear them at all.

Warning about the Embassy Suites: If you get a room at the back of the hotel on the side away from the main street......................there is a train track on the back of the hotel and the train will sound its whistle loudly and often when it crosses a pedestrian road on the side of the hotel.............Been there and done that so be careful! Other than that minor sleep robber, this is a nice hotel

I found this on Cruise Critic last year and found it to helpful. I'm not sure if the listing is current or not. We just booked at the new Hilton across from the Padre's Petco field. It is not the cheapest, but I did read somewhere else that you could get a very reasonable rate via Priceline. http://www.sandiego.org/article/Visitors/780. Enjoy and have a wonderful trip.

I also would say the Holiday Inn Bay side right across street from cruise terminal...Just walking the bay in front of the hotel is fun and picturesque and we drive there often to do that and watch a ship take off.

The SD ZOO is great! Sea World is nearby...Old Town has quaint places to eat and is really a fun way to spend time while enjoying great food! There is a Mexican rest. with outdoor patio that we often visit...

Good luck with your decision!!!

The Holiday Inn on the Bay is directly across the street from the cruise terminal. A bayview room allows you to watch your ship come in. They have a shuttle to the zoo, gaslight district and other shopping. We always stay there.

Does Holiday Inn on the Bay have facilities for parking your car on their premise while you cruise? If yes what is the fee? Jane

You can park your car there but it is very expensive - they will try to charge you by the day. Ask to speak to someone from the parking garage and ask for a weekly or monthly rate. Last year we paid $150 for 15 days - much better than the daily rate.

Does Holiday Inn on the Bay have facilities for parking your car on their premise while you cruise? If yes what is the fee? Jane

The cruise parking lot is across from the ship. It costs around $15/day. We have parked at on of the lots offsite and then shuttled in. Discount coupons are available on the internet. We paid about $7 a day.

I also would say the Holiday Inn Bay side right across street from cruise terminal...

Careful. The Holiday Inn across the street from the pier is Holiday Inn On The Bay.

There is also a Holiday Inn Bayside, which is not the same property. That Holiday Inn is not far away, but is not really near the pier.

It is easy to confuse the two hotel names, and end up in the one you didn't want.

tbrein - are you asking about Marriott Marina? Its close to the pier, about one mile? I asked about it last week or so on the West Coast board and got some very positivie responses. The only negative I saw was no shuttle service from neither the airport nor the Pier.

DaveOKC

tbrein - are you asking about Marriott Marina? Its close to the pier, about one mile? I asked about it last week or so on the West Coast board and got some very positivie responses. The only negative I saw was no shuttle service from neither the airport nor the Pier.

DaveOKC

Thanks for your reply. We are using Marriott points for this so I guess we can spring for a taxi to get us to the ship.

Terri

Archived