Equionx: Drydock in Spring 2014?

XFans

Hi All

I heard a rumor that the Equionx is going into dry-dock in spring 2014, after the transatlantic. Anyone heard that too?

Has someone here ever experienced an itinerary in a ship that is going into drydock right after the cruise? Pros / Cons? :confused:

Thanx!

XFans

Itineraries immediately before or after a drydock are to be avoided, in my opinion. Before a drydock, they may be staging materials on deck and preparing areas for work. They may also be letting some onboard food supplies run lower than usual.

Right after a drydock they may likely still be carry-over work continuing. For example, we were on the Summit right after Solticization and they were still changing doors, re-doing signage, and had some areas blocked off with construction materials.

If you google "celebrity equniox" and "dry dock" there are a few things that pop up that do say it is going in for dry dock in April 2014 for routine maintenance. Now how accurate these sources are, I have no idea.

What I can tell you though is we were just on Equinox earlier this month and the ship looks great.

If you google "celebrity equniox" and "dry dock" there are a few things that pop up that do say it is going in for dry dock in April 2014 for routine maintenance. Now how accurate these sources are, I have no idea.

What I can tell you though is we were just on Equinox earlier this month and the ship looks great.

Greetings

Glad she looks great, I will be on her in 3 weeks. Just shows that the crew does an excellent maintenence job on the interior/exterior of the ship. But she still needs maintenence for her below the water line areas and dry dock is the only way to get that maintenence done. Many ships are sent over to Freeport for the dry dock maintenence. While there they usually do get some interior "facelift" work such as new carpet etc.

My neighbors just got back off Nieuw Amsterdam and they reported that she was already looking a bit ragged. I guess HAL's maintenence is not as rigorous as Celebrity's.

Good Sailing

Tom

Greetings

Glad she looks great, I will be on her in 3 weeks. Just shows that the crew does an excellent maintenence job on the interior/exterior of the ship. But she still needs maintenence for her below the water line areas and dry dock is the only way to get that maintenence done. Many ships are sent over to Freeport for the dry dock maintenence. While there they usually do get some interior "facelift" work such as new carpet etc.

My neighbors just got back off Nieuw Amsterdam and they reported that she was already looking a bit ragged. I guess HAL's maintenence is not as rigorous as Celebrity's.

Good Sailing

Tom

They seemed to be working on the ship constantly. When we were in Barbados they were out painting near the anchors. Funny enough that morning when we got off one of the people in group mentioned that it could use some touch up paint.

I thought I read that the pods on the bottom of the ship have be rebuilt every 8 years

If it does go into dry dock will the glass show be replaced by the lawn grill ?

I doubt it. I would think that would require a major dry dock and the list I saw said it was only for routine maintenance. That said maybe host Andy will know more.

If it does go into dry dock will the glass show be replaced by the lawn grill ?

Hi Airbalancer,

Everything I'm hearing, suggests that the HGS show will remain on Solstice, Equinox & Eclipse for the forseeable future. I recently asked a contact at Corning, and they felt confident the HGS would remain. This is unconfirmed by Celebrity.

Even if Celebrity wanted to remove the HGS ? My guess is, it would be very extensive refit work. Of course, we can never say never, but I think it's unlikely.

Hi Airbalancer,

Everything I'm hearing, suggests that the HGS show will remain on Solstice, Equinox & Eclipse for the forseeable future. I recently asked a contact at Corning, and they felt confident the HGS would remain. This is unconfirmed by Celebrity.

Even if Celebrity wanted to remove the HGS ? My guess is, it would be very extensive refit work. Of course, we can never say never, but I think it's unlikely.

I enjoy the shows , even in hurricane winds LOL

Lawn grill makes money, HGS cost money

Also the HGS takes a lot of power to operate

We won't know for certain until the new schedule comes out. But I would think Solstice would go before EQ. SL isn't scheduled at this point.

In the long run, I expect the HGS to go once the contract expires with Corning. I expect them to shrink the sky lounge and add more suites and turn Quasar into conference rooms and the conference rooms into cabins.

Just my feeling. It's all about revenue. After sailing on RF, I saw what X's vision of the S class is

We won't know for certain until the new schedule comes out. But I would think Solstice would go before EQ. SL isn't scheduled at this point.

In the long run, I expect the HGS to go once the contract expires with Corning. I expect them to shrink the sky lounge and add more suites and turn Quasar into conference rooms and the conference rooms into cabins.

Just my feeling. It's all about revenue. After sailing on RF, I saw what X's vision of the S class is

Rick:

Agree with you about the sky lounge, they appear to be happy to use that as a revenue producing area. Not only did they put the suites on the Reflection but they also used the space on the M class ships for the fun factory freeing up other space which I believe was used for one of the new Specialty restaurants. Fully expect to see that space used on the drydocks, perhaps a few AQ suites.

Edited by dkjretired

Itineraries immediately before or after a drydock are to be avoided, in my opinion. Before a drydock, they may be staging materials on deck and preparing areas for work. They may also be letting some onboard food supplies run lower than usual.

Right after a drydock they may likely still be carry-over work continuing. For example, we were on the Summit right after Solticization and they were still changing doors, re-doing signage, and had some areas blocked off with construction materials.

I was on the Summit on the last cruise she did before heading in for dry dock and second trabeler's post. We enjoyed the week for the most part but wouldn't book a cruise like that again unless it was CHEAP!!

Work was well under way on that cruise and there was no missing the fact that areas of the ship were construction sites.

Edited by A Sixth?

Our waiter on Reflection had been with Celebrity since 1997 and told us that Solstice was supposed to go into drydock in spring 2014, and Equinox close behind. He said they plan to refresh the soft products (bedding, chairs, etc) every 5 years, and those two were coming up fast. They also need to scrape the hull apparently. He said it was only planned for about 2 weeks, so not enough time for major work.

We spoke to an officer later, who pretty much said the same, and thought they'd leave the hot glass on the three that had it until they went in for major refits.

It will be interesting to see what the schedule looks like in a couple of weeks.

Our waiter on Reflection had been with Celebrity since 1997 and told us that Solstice was supposed to go into drydock in spring 2014, and Equinox close behind. He said they plan to refresh the soft products (bedding, chairs, etc) every 5 years, and those two were coming up fast. They also need to scrape the hull apparently. He said it was only planned for about 2 weeks, so not enough time for major work.

We spoke to an officer later, who pretty much said the same, and thought they'd leave the hot glass on the three that had it until they went in for major refits.

It will be interesting to see what the schedule looks like in a couple of weeks.

Hi Barb, for a ship to be out of service for 2 full weeks?? They can

do ALOT of work:eek:...that is 2 weeks of no revenue so I am betting

they would certainly be doing alot of stuff.

Of course, when pax are told things by people on the ship? That is

not necessarily what will be happening. The final decisions always

come from HQ and who knows how the staff finds out about it

(ship wise)......

Since the newest itineraries are starting to be released next month?

Maybe any major drydocks will be released as well.

Edited by Lois R

Not quite the same scale, but we were on Xpedition in September immediately after dry dock. Work was no where near complete. We had to beg them to open the hot tub, but there was no fitness center, no Blue Finch bar and sawdust everywhere. The guests who'd booked the suites (unfinished) were put on deck 3. X reponded to the complaints with a 25% refund. I assume the suite guests got refunded the full difference in fare plus the 25%. Fair in my view.

Based on past experience, don't believe anything until you see a press release. Soft products can be done anytime. The comments about doing underside work are required every few years.

I was on the Equinox a year ago and liked it for the most part. I will be back on board soon for 25 days.

I hope that during the dry dock they replace the Asian restaurant with Qsine or a new specialty restaurant. Its the worst of the specialty restaurants IMO .

I could also do without the glass show and Quasar.....

I hope that during the dry dock they replace the Asian restaurant with Qsine or a new specialty restaurant. Its the worst of the specialty restaurants IMO

It's funny, I hear that a lot that Silk Harvest is the worst restaurant. We actually loved the Silk Harvest and the food there. To each his own... :D

He said they plan to refresh the soft products (bedding, chairs, etc) every 5 years, and those two were coming up fast. They also need to scrape the hull apparently. He said it was only planned for about 2 weeks, so not enough time for major work.
Soft good replacement is done while the ship is still in service. Dry dock is for below the water line service and major changes in ship design.

Of course, when pax are told things by people on the ship? That is

not necessarily what will be happening. The final decisions always

come from HQ and who knows how the staff finds out about it

(ship wise)......

Lois, You are dead on again. If you remember the big one about Century for years was how they were going to cut her in half and stretch her. The Enchantment of the Seas got that treatment instead

Rick:

Agree with you about the sky lounge, they appear to be happy to use that as a revenue producing area. Not only did they put the suites on the Reflection but they also used the space on the M class ships for the fun factory freeing up other space which I believe was used for one of the new Specialty restaurants. Fully expect to see that space used on the drydocks, perhaps a few AQ suites.

On the Summit at least they took the Fun Factory moved it up next to the Sky Lounge and put cabins where the FF was

• 1 month later...

Has anyone noticed, that, according to the X website, there's a gap for the sailing dates of the Equinox in Spring 2014?

The last carribean cruise departs from Fort Lauderdale on 4th of april. The next cruise on the Equinox starts on may 20th departing from Venice... :eek:

There's enough time for a transatlantic and another cruise between these two dates. Anyone got any idea what is happening there?

Has anyone noticed, that, according to the X website, there's a gap for the sailing dates of the Equinox in Spring 2014?

The last carribean cruise departs from Fort Lauderdale on 4th of april. The next cruise on the Equinox starts on may 20th departing from Venice... :eek:

There's enough time for a transatlantic and another cruise between these two dates. Anyone got any idea what is happening there?

Maybe it's a charter?