Laundry Question

CoronaCRZR

We will be boarding the Star tomorrow for a 15 day Hawaii cruise.

I understand there is self serve laundry available, but does Princess offer Laundry services done by the staff we can use for guests not having any Elite perk status?

If so do you know what costs are.

Ted

They do have the laundry service for anyone that wants to pay. I can't help with prices on each item but as Elites the price is put on the bill and then subtracted. I usually send out a bag full (undies, socks, a few shirts and shorts or pants) and it would cost $25. to $30. I am sure someone can remember the prices per item for you.

I understand there is self serve laundry available, but does Princess offer Laundry services done by the staff we can use for guests not having any Elite perk status?

Ted

This past January we were on a 20 night cruise on the Emerald. We sent in a total of 9 bags of laundry for a total cost of $274.25 or an average of about $31/bag. Price depends on the garment. We had all laundry no dry cleaning.

Ted

There is also a 24hr return option available.

Most longer cruises have at least one $20/bag or $25/bag special, so you don't necessarily have to pay by the item. This is normal 2-day service, not the extra cost 1 day.

• 4 months later...
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1675632

It's a two year old thread, but I don't imagine prices have gone up by too much if they have.

How does everyone cope with laundry on a long cruise?

We are planning a world cruise in 2016 so laundry will a big issue.

I know the prices will have gone up by then but the info has been helpful. Thanks

I know the prices will have gone up by then but the info has been helpful. Thanks

It's really just a case of budgeting for the expense. We've got a 26 day coming up and I figure we'll send stuff out 3 or 4 times. Some of my "delicates" I'll wash in the sink (bringing little packets of liquid laundry soap with us" but the rest we'll probably send out. The first part of our b2b is very port intensive so there's no way I'm doing it myself.

Thanks to a thread here, I took a photo of my laundry slip when I was sending out my laundry. Here are some of the current prices as of this week on the Caribbean Princess:

Shirt/blouse-$3.50; Formal shirt/blouse-$4.25; T-shirts-$2.75; slacks/pants-$4.50; undershirts-$1.50; underear/panties-$1.25; slips-$2.25; bra-$1.75; handkerchiefs-$1; socks-$1.25; nightgown/PJs-$3.75

My load of T-shirts, casual shirts, underwear, socks, and shorts worked out to be $31.75, which we got credited back to our account for being Elite. It was our first time, and it's a great benefit. We'll definitely use it more on longer cruises than we did on this one. We had friends on this cruise who had been on some cruises with tons of Elite members. We had half our laundry the first day take two days to come back. She was saying that on one cruise it was taking four or five days to get laundry back.

Ship's laundry is very rough on clothes. We cruise for 100+ days at a time, and once spoke with a veteran of several World Cruises at an MTP party about it. She said it's common knowledge on a World Cruise that most clothes can't survive months of ship's laundry, and many people use the passenger laundries on sea days (which there are quite a few of). We've had no issues with the Cleaning done by the ship except they tend to break buttons. So come prepared with several extra buttons and a sewing kit (the worst is larger waistband buttons). If you can buy laundry detergent in your embarkation city, we find that 100 oz. sees us through several months.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

Having to do laundry while traveling can be a chore....lol.

I have been taking cruises since 1980. In the beginning I would use the ships Laundromat.

I then decided, that I would budget and have my laundry done by the ship. The key word here is "Vacation". I will admit that last few cruises my partner and myself were able to get a suite, and the laundry was included. But even if the laundry is not included in my passage ticket, We just consider laundry a budgeted expense, after all we are on vacation.

During our recent 61 day voyage on the Ocean Princess we discovered that at least one ship (the OP) has facilities for gentle cleaning. There is a separate washer dedicated to cold water washing on a gentle cycle and a separate low(er) temperature dryer as well. Not only were we told about this by the "Laundry Master" but one morning on the Wake Show, the CD gave a tour of the laundry room and specifically pointed out the machines for gentle washing and drying.

Be sure to mark your laundry slip requesting this "gentle" process.

a) Self-service laundromat

b) If you are on the world cruise, you might make elite by the end of a segment and have free Princess laundry for the remaining segment(s)

Our next trip will be our first at being elite, so no more laundry duty. In a strange sort of way, I'll kind of miss the laundromats. Maybe it helped that we always had wine with laundry. But laundry by Princess was expensive and it really wasn't that big a deal to put laundry in the washer, go back to the room, put it into the dryer, go back to the room, retrieve it and put the clothes away. We always brought a couple of rolls of quarters, some washer-dryer sheets (which I think are no longer being made but are still available on Amaxon). Lately we haven't found the laundromats to be crowded, but in the past they have been. We eat late so going around 6 helped as did using the laundromat on the P deck.

• 4 months later...
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Much appreciated!

I will now tell the wife she does not have to worry about any laundry during her vacation:D

Ted

The wife can bring all the clothes she wants. :)

It's not too expensive for laundry service. 24 hour turnaround available. It was about $300 last Princess cruise.

Carefully check your laundry when it's returned. I found a couple of colorful lace thongs and a lace bra in mine. Wish I knew who they belonged to! ;)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

It's really just a case of budgeting for the expense. We've got a 26 day coming up and I figure we'll send stuff out 3 or 4 times. Some of my "delicates" I'll wash in the sink (bringing little packets of liquid laundry soap with us" but the rest we'll probably send out. The first part of our b2b is very port intensive so there's no way I'm doing it myself.

Liquid laundry soap and shampoo are very similar chemically. I have always used shampoo to wash delicates in the sink with great results. Shampoo is also excellent for soaking stains overnight. Apply full strength roll up and launder the next day. I never pack laundry detergent.