Rome hotel advice

8373seth

Hello,

We will be leaving Rome on Celebrity Equinox in mid May. We've never been to Rome before and would like to see a few things before the cruise. But we'd also like somewhere that would be easy to get to the port the next day. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Unless you want to stay near the airport that serves Rome, I would select the location of the Rome hotel based on the places you want to see. The drive from most hotels in Rome to the port will take around 75 to 90 minutes depending on traffic. On the other hand you could stay at the airport which is about 45 minutes to the port but thirty or more minutes from Rome.

If it was me I would select a hotel in Rome and then the day of embarkation have a private vehicle take you to the port.

Keith

If you choose to stay in Rome, I like Hotel Madrid near the Spanish Steps. It is not a fancy hotel (3 star hotel), but it is in a great location within reasonable walking distance to all the sites. Has free wifi and breakfast. Several good restaurant close by. As stated above it was about a 75 minute ride by private car to Civitavecchia.

Recommend take Leonardo Express from FCO Airport to Roma Termini . Then taxi to Hotel Campo de Fiori (at Campo de Fiori). Within walking distance of Piazza Farnesse, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Castel de St Angelo, Church of St Andrea de Valle, St Peters and Vatican Museums .

Then taxi to Termini and train to Civitavecchia .

Edited by kuldalai

As you've gathered by now, Rome is not close to the port of Civitavecchia. On the other hand, it's not so far away that you "need" to get to the port the night before. I definitely recommend spending the night in Rome and NOT in Civitavecchia -- there is not much to do or see there.

For hotels, look to stay in the heart of the old city center ("Centro Storico"). Search engines like venere.com let you search by area -- I suggest looking in the area of the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain and Piazza Navona for a hotel. There are many choices depending on your budget. If you find a few that look good, you can ask here for further feedback, but I also suggest looking at the hotel reviews on Tripadvisor.

You can get to the port the next day (allow about an hour and a half) by either a private driver or using the train service. Both options have been covered here on these forums extensively if you do a search. Don't worry about getting to the ship early -- you can probably squeeze in a visit somewhere or a nice walk in Rome before you head to the port, especially since you have such limited time.

• 1 month later...
Recommend take Leonardo Express from FCO Airport to Roma Termini . Then taxi to Hotel Campo de Fiori (at Campo de Fiori). Within walking distance of Piazza Farnesse, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Castel de St Angelo, Church of St Andrea de Valle, St Peters and Vatican Museums .

Then taxi to Termini and train to Civitavecchia .

I stayed at Hotel Campo de Fiori on my last visit to Rome. Nice accommodations and staff was wonderful. We enjoyed the location as well. I would not hesitate on returning there.

If we stay in Rome for 3 or 4 nights pre-cruise should I also stay in old city center- Centro Storico? Can we walk to Coliseum and Vatican City? Or is there somewhere better to stay for a longer Rome visit? We may take a day trip to Florence as well, so perhaps I need to be near a train stop? Still planning- thanks!!

If we stay in Rome for 3 or 4 nights pre-cruise should I also stay in old city center- Centro Storico? Can we walk to Coliseum and Vatican City? Or is there somewhere better to stay for a longer Rome visit? We may take a day trip to Florence as well, so perhaps I need to be near a train stop? Still planning- thanks!!

For the train to Florence, you'd have to depart from Termini. And Termini is one of the less pleasant areas of Rome to stay in (IMO). A taxi to/from the station is generally less than 10 euro IF you are staying in the Centro Storico, so to me it's not really worth it. (However, if budget is an issue, hotel prices are more modest around Termini...)

If you stay in the Centro Storico, specifically the very central area from Trevi Fountain to Piazza Navona, you can walk to most of the sites. I have several favorite hotels in the area. From them, I walk just about anywhere with exception of the Vatican. That includes the Colosseum/Forum, Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps area, Capitoline Museum, Ara Pacis, Castel Sant'Angelo, Largo Argentina, the Jewish Ghetto and the old Forum Boarium (where the "Mouth of Truth" is located, along with two beautiful Roman temples....)

The Vatican you can reach by taxi, by bus or by metro (but be warned that Metro stops are very few and far between in the Centro Storico, for obvious reasons -- every time they start digging for a new line, they find extensive ruins).

Personally, there is no where else in Rome I can recommend more than this area. I'd look specifically for hotels around the Pantheon or Piazza Navona, as these are very pleasant areas in the evenings to stroll and have plenty of good restaurants nearby.

Edited to add: Actually, it's not that you couldn't walk to the Vatican from the Centro Storico. It's about a 45 minute walk or so. It's just that when I'm going to the Vatican, I'm usually planning on a long day there on my feet, so I'd rather just take a taxi and save my stamina for the museum!

Edited by cruisemom42

For the train to Florence, you'd have to depart from Termini. And Termini is one of the less pleasant areas of Rome to stay in (IMO). A taxi to/from the station is generally less than 10 euro IF you are staying in the Centro Storico, so to me it's not really worth it. (However, if budget is an issue, hotel prices are more modest around Termini...)

If you stay in the Centro Storico, specifically the very central area from Trevi Fountain to Piazza Navona, you can walk to most of the sites. I have several favorite hotels in the area. From them, I walk just about anywhere with exception of the Vatican. That includes the Colosseum/Forum, Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps area, Capitoline Museum, Ara Pacis, Castel Sant'Angelo, Largo Argentina, the Jewish Ghetto and the old Forum Boarium (where the "Mouth of Truth" is located, along with two beautiful Roman temples....)

The Vatican you can reach by taxi, by bus or by metro (but be warned that Metro stops are very few and far between in the Centro Storico, for obvious reasons -- every time they start digging for a new line, they find extensive ruins).

Personally, there is no where else in Rome I can recommend more than this area. I'd look specifically for hotels around the Pantheon or Piazza Navona, as these are very pleasant areas in the evenings to stroll and have plenty of good restaurants nearby.

Edited to add: Actually, it's not that you couldn't walk to the Vatican from the Centro Storico. It's about a 45 minute walk or so. It's just that when I'm going to the Vatican, I'm usually planning on a long day there on my feet, so I'd rather just take a taxi and save my stamina for the museum!

Thanks cruisemom42 - you are a wealth of info. Besides the two hotels here do you recommend any others in this old city center area? I'm checking them all out - Got it - we can walk to Coliseum and can taxi to Vatican City. In your first paragraph you said it's not worth it - it's less than 10 euros for a Cab. I was a bit confused. Do you mean don't stay in the Termini area? To instead just take a cab there when we want to go to Florence and stay in old city center if budget allows?? Just wanted to clarify what's not 'worth it' Thanks again!!

Thanks cruisemom42 - you are a wealth of info. Besides the two hotels here do you recommend any others in this old city center area? I'm checking them all out - Got it - we can walk to Coliseum and can taxi to Vatican City. In your first paragraph you said it's not worth it - it's less than 10 euros for a Cab. I was a bit confused. Do you mean don't stay in the Termini area? To instead just take a cab there when we want to go to Florence and stay in old city center if budget allows?? Just wanted to clarify what's not 'worth it' Thanks again!!

Sorry -- what I was trying to say is that the cost of the taxi to Termini is small, in the scheme of things, so it's not worth staying near Termini JUST to get the train to Florence.

Sometimes I stay near Termini but generally ONLY when I am passing through Rome for just one night on my way onward to another city by train. Under those circumstances, staying at Termini makes sense. Otherwise, I highly recommend looking elsewhere for a hotel.

I love the Albergo del Senato and have stayed there at least 5-6 times over the years, but their prices have gotten so high during the peak season....

I have also stayed a couple of times at Albergo Cesari and it is another very good (if not quite as deluxe) hotel in a great location. If you book in advance you can often get better deals.

I don't know the other hotel mentioned, but in June I am planning to stay at a hotel near Piazza Navona for several days -- I got a good personal recommendation from a friend: Hotel Navona. It's more basic than the Albergo Cesari, but pricing in June is not bad, and I like trying different hotels.... :D

Edited by cruisemom42

I stayed for 3 nights at the hotel Santa Maria in the travestere area ( love the character of the area). I loved it. I was able to walk to all the sights but after was indeed tired. If I was only there one night I would also stay near the Spanish step area. But if u like to walk, IMO u can not beat the travestere area. Look on the Rick steeves videos. I got a lot of info there.

We have stayed at the Hotel Sonya several times. It's close enough to Termini that we have walked their with our luggage. It's also an easy walk to Trevi, the Pantheon and Piazza Navona. We started going there based on a recommendation in a Rick Steves' book. At the end of the month, we'll be there for the third time.

If you are comfortable dealing with hauling your luggage on and off trains, that is certainly a good way to get from the airport to your hotel and from your hotel to the ship. However, our last time arriving in Rome, I decided to check on Rome in Limo's pricing for an airport pickup and was pleasantly surprised. To get to the ship from Central Rome, I've arranged minivans with them then recruited others from our roll call to join us.

If you don't mind spending the extra money and want the easiest transfer options possible, look into the cruise line's hotels and transfers.

I have also stayed a couple of times at Albergo Cesari and it is another very good (if not quite as deluxe) hotel in a great location. If you book in advance you can often get better deals.

As I've posted on another Rome hotel thread, we stayed in the Albergo Cesari for three nights in the fall of 2014 (before a TA) and really enjoyed it. Can't beat the location, and breakfast on the rooftop terrace was a terrific start to the day. We walked everywhere we wanted to go, including the Vatican. (In fact, the taxi driver who brought us to the hotel from the airport said "you won't need a taxi again until you have to leave Rome." :) )

It's not a modern hotel (and the furniture was old), but our room was pretty large by European standards, and we certainly recommend the place. And yes, if you book early, you may well get a better deal. (We booked a year in advance, and then watched the prices climb.)

We have booked 9 nights in Rome with Airbnb for this coming October. This will be our first apartment booking through them & our first stay in the particular area in which our apartment is located - reviews of our selected apartment look good and the price & location are fine for our extended stay. We usually stay in the Centro Storico but this time we are staying near San Giovanni (good metro & bus access) - will see how it works out.

We have stayed at the Hotel Sonya several times. It's close enough to Termini that we have walked their with our luggage. It's also an easy walk to Trevi, the Pantheon and Piazza Navona. We started going there based on a recommendation in a Rick Steves' book. At the end of the month, we'll be there for the third time.

I stayed at Hotel Sonya once when I had one of those one-night stays in Rome. Like you I got the recommendation from Rick Steves.

I was not at all impressed. I think there are much better options around Termini.

Edited to add: I have to say I haven't been very impressed by most of RS's recommendations for Rome, with one exception (a wine bar). His self-guided walking tours (in his books and the mp3 versions) are great though, especially for first-time visitors or for those who've only previously had a brief visit to Rome. There is so much to discover walking around the city on one's own.

Edited by cruisemom42

Sorry -- what I was trying to say is that the cost of the taxi to Termini is small, in the scheme of things, so it's not worth staying near Termini JUST to get the train to Florence.

Sometimes I stay near Termini but generally ONLY when I am passing through Rome for just one night on my way onward to another city by train. Under those circumstances, staying at Termini makes sense. Otherwise, I highly recommend looking elsewhere for a hotel.

I love the Albergo del Senato and have stayed there at least 5-6 times over the years, but their prices have gotten so high during the peak season....

I don't know the other hotel mentioned, but in June I am planning to stay at a hotel near Piazza Navona for several days -- I got a good personal recommendation from a friend: Hotel Navona. It's more basic than the Albergo Cesari, but pricing in June is not bad, and I like trying different hotels.... :D

We will be there end of May 2017. Cruise departs June 2nd. Is that peak season?

If I hold a room now is it like US? Fully refundable ? Albergo del senato was mentioned and hotel campo de Fiori too. Those were only two I looked at but the second one prices were in Euro's and I don't know how to translate over to dollars. The Alberto del Senato was a little over 200/ night. A bit High but not horrible. Not sure if there are hidden fees.

We will be there end of May 2017. Cruise departs June 2nd. Is that peak season?

If I hold a room now is it like US? Fully refundable ? Albergo del senato was mentioned and hotel campo de Fiori too. Those were only two I looked at but the second one prices were in Euro's and I don't know how to translate over to dollars. The Alberto del Senato was a little over 200/ night. A bit High but not horrible. Not sure if there are hidden fees.

The euro at the moment is slightly higher than the dollar. (So 1 euro equals about 1.15 dollars, more or less.) There are online calculators that will do the work of translating for you, like this one: http://www.x-rates.com/calculator/?from=EUR&to=USD&amount=1

If you can get the Albergo del Senato for a little over 200/night, go for it. That's a good rate. Are you looking directly at their website? If so, there are not hidden/extra fees (other than a local hotel tax of 4 euro per person per night for a 3-star hotel, which is what ADS is). If you're looking at consolidator sites, there is often an extra charge added as you go through the reservation system.

I'd book direct with the hotel.

Are you familiar with Amalfi hotel in Rome? I currently have this hotel booked for my upcoming cruise. I opted to stay near Termini as I'll be taking the train to Venice.

For all my Italian stops (Rome, Venice and Milan), I've opted for hotels near the main train station. Is this not a good idea? I read reviews on TA and looked at pictures before deciding.

Via Marche 84, 00187 Rome Italy

Right near Villa Borghese. We walked to most of the sites or got the open topped Bus. The Golden family offer great customer service and Mama Goldens breakfasts are lovely. Everything home made. A true hidden gem. X

Are you familiar with Amalfi hotel in Rome? I currently have this hotel booked for my upcoming cruise. I opted to stay near Termini as I'll be taking the train to Venice.

For all my Italian stops (Rome, Venice and Milan), I've opted for hotels near the main train station. Is this not a good idea? I read reviews on TA and looked at pictures before deciding.

In general, there's nothing 'wrong' with staying near the main train station in Rome -- but it is not the prettiest area of the city, nor the most central for the sites most people want to see. But on the other hand, it's not that it is unsafe or anything. I was in Rome just a few weeks ago for one night and I stayed near Termini at Hotel Una. I was traveling solo and wasn't afraid to walk 8-10 blocks to my restaurant for dinner at 7:30 nor to walk home afterwards around 10:00.

I just feel you don't get the full "experience" of staying in the Centro if you stay near Termini. (And IMO there are fewer decent restaurant choices in the vicinity...:))

I'm not familiar with Milan. Staying near the train station near Florence should be absolutely fine.

I'll look at that too. What is the location? Thanks !

Not the most central -- it WILL add some walking to your day. But I've heard good things about that hotel as well.

In general, the area isn't as lively in the evenings -- fewer restaurants, fewer people out taking their evening passeggiato, etc.