CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Getting to Cape Liberty from the Staten Island Hampton is not a problem.

It's only a few blocks from the Staten Island Expwy. Goes to Goethals

Bridge then onto NJ Turnpike North to Exit 14A and Bayonne.

The hotel does have a shuttle to Bayonne and Newark Airport,

but it might just be for special packages. You would have to call them for details.

The Hampton is not a bad hotel. It's across from the Hilton. There is really

nothing in the area other than Industrial/Office parks. Adjacent areas are

not really good to walk around in. There is new building construction going on

in the complex where the Hampton is located.

Personally, I see no real travel advantage in booking there.

I have cancelled that hotel. I need some advice as to where is best to stay for overnight. I would like to be close to some eating places perhaps.

I have cancelled that hotel. I need some advice as to where is best to stay for overnight. I would like to be close to some eating places perhaps.

Most of the better hotels and locations are near Newark Airport. If I

were to stay anywhere, it would probably be around there, not

anywhere in Bayonne or downtown Newark. I have seen Embassy Suites, Country Inn

and Renaissance mentioned favorably

on these boards. The airport is only 4 or so miles from Cape Liberty.

Perhaps TripAdvisor can give you more information or the Roll call for

your cruise.

Hotel question near port but near Penn Station Newark. 138 suggested the Robert Treat Hotel as we need two rooms and plan to take our grandchildren to nyc for one day. It seems to get mixed reviews from some on Trip Advisor.my taste would be the Renaissance but it is twice the price for same amenities. Any suggestions between the $120 of Robert Treat and the $215 for Hampden Inn Harrison.

Or is the Robert Treat perfectly adequate for people who usually stay at Courtyard Marriotts. Free breakfast is a perk Courtyard does not offer and we are taking our grandchildren.

Hotel question near port but near Penn Station Newark. 138 suggested the Robert Treat Hotel as we need two rooms and plan to take our grandchildren to nyc for one day. It seems to get mixed reviews from some on Trip Advisor.my taste would be the Renaissance but it is twice the price for same amenities. Any suggestions between the $120 of Robert Treat and the $215 for Hampden Inn Harrison.

Or is the Robert Treat perfectly adequate for people who usually stay at Courtyard Marriotts. Free breakfast is a perk Courtyard does not offer and we are taking our grandchildren.

Is it possible to share a room? Look at the Doubletree and Candlewood Suites in Jersey City, which offer a bedroom and a living room with sofa bed. You pay for parking, but Candlewood offers a kitchen, which means you can easily provide your own breakfast, drinks, and snacks. I'd stay there in a heartbeat over anywhere in Harrison, NJ. Courtyard Jersey City is showing as unavailable online but I'd call the hotel directly to see what's really going on.

Doing 5 day to Bermuda on Anthem and wanted to get on ship as early as possible. Will same day 9:49am arrival at EWR (direct flight from Clt) make that possible or should we book earlier 7:46am arrival? We thought that might be too early and we could use the extra sleep :) rather that arrive earlier than necessary after driving to Clt the night before. 5 of us and planning to use Dial7 or Carmellimo car service as recommended on this thread. Thanks for your advice.

Doing 5 day to Bermuda on Anthem and wanted to get on ship as early as possible. Will same day 9:49am arrival at EWR (direct flight from Clt) make that possible or should we book earlier 7:46am arrival? We thought that might be too early and we could use the extra sleep :) rather that arrive earlier than necessary after driving to Clt the night before. 5 of us and planning to use Dial7 or Carmellimo car service as recommended on this thread. Thanks for your advice.

No one is going to tell you it's a good idea to fly in the day of the cruise regardless of how early you leave.

I am just beginning to do some research on best cruise to take that I can also see a little bit of New York. Typical tourist stuff like statue of Liberty, 9/11 Memorial, Central Park, etc. My thought is to do post cruise sight seeing of NY since most cruise lines dock early in the AM. Thinking of 2 nights in NY and then flight home to Orlando FL. I have heard that staying in NJ can be more cost effective from a hotel perspective but as I started to look at that I am hearing that it will take a long time to get to NYC and with such a short stay that may not be the best idea. At this point I am open to cruise line suggestions and hotel stays. (I am trying to stay away from Carnival though). I'm looking at a 7 day cruise Sep / Oct time frame for fall foliage is preferred. I know RCI also has a 9 day out of Cape Liberty.

I'd love to hear what folks here suggest. I'm new to this site and I see there is a lot of information to look through, trying to figure the best way to search and narrow information.

Carol, after doing tons of research, I booked the Robert Treat Hotel for the two nights. Nothing even came close to it with the price and the amenities. Thank you for your suggestion. I was told I got the last two rooms for my July dates. The $120 price mentioned is for non refundable prepayment through third party. I booked directly for $135 plus taxes...no deposit and no cancellation fees. Well, that is done thankfully.

Carol, after doing tons of research, I booked the Robert Treat Hotel for the two nights. Nothing even came close to it with the price and the amenities. Thank you for your suggestion. I was told I got the last two rooms for tymy July dates. The $120 price mentioned is for non refundable prepayment through third party. I booked directly for $135 plus taxes...no deposit and no cancellation fees. Well, that is done thankfully.

As a retired Police Officer in Essex County, use a lot of caution if you go out of the hotel. Take a cab or shuttle to the train station, don't walk around. Also nice restaurants in the Ironbound section.

What is the best time to arrive at Cape Liberty for the Anthem of the Seas...?

Also, approximately what time will we be able to disembark upon return to NJ... both carrying our own luggage...as well as having the crew take our luggage the evening before....?

Guest maddycat

Also, approximately what time will we be able to disembark upon return to NJ... both carrying our own luggage...as well as having the crew take our luggage the evening before....?

The traffic starts building up after 10:30. So we try to arrive before that time.

On our April 8 cruise, self disembarkation began at 6:30 and crew assisted disembarkation at about 7:30.

Edited by maddycat

Please provide more details. Are you flying or driving? Where are you coming from? I'm guessing driving. Getting to the port on a Sat morning should be fine, but getting out of there early on a Thurs morning will put you in the middle of rush hour.

We will be on the Summit returning Sunday 8/21. I know previously it was posted that the shuttle to the airport at the port is the same price as if we were to book it through the ship. Since they are the same price is there any benefits booking with the ship or waiting till we get off? I would think the ship bus would fill faster right? When we sailed princess and paid for their shuttle they have people for that shuttle meet at a certain time on ship then be taken down to claim bags and then thru customs and then to the bus...would Celebrity be the same way meaning it should fill quicker and we get out faster vs choosing a shuttle at the port and then waiting for others who need the same thing and same airport? We have a 12:15 flight our of EWR.

We are going on Anthem out of Liberty this Thursday. We are coming from PA, Rt. 78. Bing says 3 hours but anyone know what the traffic will be like? We were thinking of leaving 5:30-6:00 am. Any help with it would be great.

And, is the 911 memorial close? I saw a post that said to go there if early. I assume though we would have to drive? Sorry, I know nothing of the area.

Thanks!

Is Edison a safe area? Looking at the Hilton Garden Inn Edison/Raritan Center.

We will get in late and head to the port the next morning, so don't care about restaurants.

Thank you to the posters who are so helpful on this thread. I've learned a lot.

We are going on Anthem out of Liberty this Thursday. We are coming from PA, Rt. 78. Bing says 3 hours but anyone know what the traffic will be like? We were thinking of leaving 5:30-6:00 am. Any help with it would be great.

And, is the 911 memorial close? I saw a post that said to go there if early. I assume though we would have to drive? Sorry, I know nothing of the area.

Thanks!

Leaving 5:30-6:00 is fine.

My recommendation for going to the 911 memorial is to drive to Jersey City near the Grove St or Exchange Place PATH Station, pay to park in a garage or lot, and take PATH to the World Trade Center. This will save you the $15 tunnel toll plus the aggravation of driving in NYC and paying for much more expensive parking.

PATH is $2.75/pp. http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

If you're not tired of boats, drive to Liberty State Park, pay $7 to park, and take the Liberty Landing Ferry to World Trade (not the Statue of Liberty Ferry) for $14/pp round trip. http://www.libertylandingferry.com

Is Edison a safe area? Looking at the Hilton Garden Inn Edison/Raritan Center.

We will get in late and head to the port the next morning, so don't care about restaurants.

Thank you to the posters who are so helpful on this thread. I've learned a lot.

Edison should be fine.

Personally I like exits 8 and 8A (Hightstown and Cranbury/Jamesburg) because they are in a much more rural area and I have stayed in many of the hotels over the years.

Is Edison a safe area? Looking at the Hilton Garden Inn Edison/Raritan Center. We will get in late and head to the port the next morning, so don't care about restaurants ...

I believed that you are flying late into EWR ?? to sail on the Summit on 5/21 ??

Hilton Garden Inn @ Edison/RC is just off NJ Turnpike in an area with major corporate & warehouse distribution center, including Macy's & FedEx - pretty much suburban & you will need a car to get around, nothing nearby to walk to/from. About 20 miles south of Newark Airport, easy drive of 20-25 minutes, car service/taxi fares won't be cheap and away from Cape Liberty, so you will pay even more $$ the following morning to the cruise terminal (unlikely hotel has comp'd transportation ?)

You might want to re-price other closer hotel options & factor in car service/taxi/shuttle costs - unless you scored a good deal or using miles/points for your stay, etc. Make use of sites like PL & Hotwire to see if there are additional options depending on # of people traveling together.

P.S. We will be on Breakaway sailing 5/22 to Bermuda, will waive & let's see which ship get to Dockyard first :p

I'm assuming they're driving up from Tennessee. IMO after a long trip getting off the road sooner rather than later is better.
Well, very true - that's 800 miles of driving for 12+ hours plus stops, indeed a very, very long stretch of driving even with switching drivers. Then, if they coming up the TP, sure - 100% agree, look for something at Exit 8/8A.

Waze/Google Navigation recommending going north on I-81 to I-78, bypassing the DC area (traffic around the Capital Beltway & constructions are just horrible, even on weekends) and then Allentown, PA might be a good place for the night - another 80 miles (about 90 minutes) direct to CL on Sunday morning, which should be an easy one on that route - they will save a bit of money on toll & less likely to run into any unexpected traffic issues.

For a Saturday routing via DC - Baltimore - DE into NJ via I-95 North, I am showing 2 extra hours of driving time as calculated @ 13.5 hours vs. 11.5 hours going thru PA using I-78.

Clock is running down fast & options might be limited - some of the universities/colleges are starting their graduation drills & room inventories could be further reduced. Let's hear from them & fine-tune the assumptions.

Edited by mking8288

Thanks!

This is one of those rare occasions when I'm going to disagree with Carol (138east).

I think you shouldn't leave home until 7:30 or 8 am. Leaving at 5:30 or 6 will put you right into the height of rush hour traffic in NJ and get you to the port far too early. Leaving at 7:30 or 8 will get you to the port at the right time for early check in and boarding.

Which 911 memorial are you asking about? There's a memorial right at the port. Or are you talking about the 911 memorial in lower Manhattan? In my opinion you don't have the time to go into Manhattan on embarkation day, particularly for someone not familiar with the area on a weekday morning during rush hour.

Edited by njhorseman