Acting a fool at the airport.

:o So, I have been flying for many years and I'm ashamed to admit I find airports very confusing. Not navigating them or finding my gate or anything, but, the whole check in process. I'm fine when I'm leaving for my cruise, I have my printed boarding pass and there is only 1 gate at my hometown airport. What I'm confused by is coming home, for example from Miami.

While on the cruise, I either don't have internet or don't have access to a printer. Attempts to check in on the ship and print boarding passes have resulted in tears and fears of being denied boarding. So, then I discovered curbside check in. My understanding of it was that it costs like $6 to do it, but, I could check in there, get printed boarding passes, leave my bags with the attendant and proceed directly to my gate.

The last time I was in Miami, the cab dropped me off right at the American Airlines curbside attendant. I waited in the line for a few minutes then went up to check in. The attendant told me I had to go talk to another guy (a porter?) and tell him I wanted curbside check in, give HIM a few dollars then come back to check in. This sounded incredibly sketchy to me. I said, I have to leave curbside checking to go pay that guy to tell me where curbside check in is? He said yes. I thought about just going inside to the regular line, but, I didn't want to wait that long over a few dollars, so, I did what he said. I do not remember if I was charged more than the usual $25 baggage fee.

Can anyone tell me step by step how curbside check in is supposed to work? When I started writing this thread, I went to AA.com to see what it was supposed to cost and the website said it was free!

Of course, the picture they showed looked like this.

header_self-service-checkin.jpg

I've been in many airports and I have never seen one that looked like this, one family checking in at one kiosk, a businessman checking in at another kiosk and one agent just waiting to help them. :eek::eek:

My other question is this, if I skip the curbside and I go inside to use the self service kiosks like these nice people, I know they will print my boarding passes, but, then where do I go with my checked bag? The only place I see to leave my bag is the long line I'm trying to avoid. I'm sorry to seem so dense, but, I just don't know where I'm supposed to go or what I'm supposed to do. I'm heading to Miami in 3 days and I want to be prepared and stop acting a fool and being taken advantage of, like I feel I am. Thanks!

We never use curbside check in. We can handle our bags and Dh actually likes to see his bags until the last minute. Since you will need to check in at the desk inside, there is NO reason to do curbside check in. If the airline charges for bags, it will be charged at the desk.

Often we don't preprint our boarding passes either. It's not a big deal. (It's handy if you are running late and you have only carry on bags) When you get in line to check in at the desk, they will print out your pass or help you do it at a machine (if its an airline that has them right at the desk). Easy. Some airlines tell you to take take your bags to a nearby luggage station when you've been checked in and bags tagged where it will be scanned and off you go. Other airlines take the bag from you right at the check in desk.

Just stick to the check in desk and nothing will go awry or confuse you.;)

Well, first. please do not think of yourself as a "fool". The entire airline experience, whether domestic or international, has become a trauma that simply has to be endured regardless of what Class in which one flies.

eandj's advice is valid. I agree.

In a very large airport terminal, I suggest obtaining a Skycap, if one can be obtained. And, I think this is particularly true based on my experience if the airport is a new one for you. Or one that you rarely visit. For a small gratuity, that person will get your luggage and you where you need to go with the least hassle. On recent cruises that have involved flights into or from Seattle, San Francisco, or New York, I have used Skycaps and intend to do so in the future when arriving or leaving from a large airport.

I have used curbside check in several times now and it's the best way to go! I love it. However, I have always had my boarding pass printed already.

I may be wrong, but I think you have to have a boarding pass to do curbside check in. Maybe I am wrong. But you could always go into the airport, use the kiosk to check in and print a boarding pass and then come back outside to do curbside check in.

The best thing about curbside baggage check is that you don't have to wait in line at the counter. It's weighed and tagged right there and they handle the rest. We especially like this in busy airports because since we already have our boarding passes and don't need to wait behind those who don't have them.

You do not need to have printed your boarding pass to do curbside. you go up to the baggage porter for your airline. He will ask your name and want to see a photo id. he will then confirm where you are going to, take your bag and charge you the money for your bag if need there is a fee with the airline. Then he will ask if you would like him to print your boarding pass. He gives that to you along with the luggage tag, you tip him and then you are off.

What happened to you was wrong and they were taking advantage. Sorry for that.

Of course, the picture they showed looked like this.

[/b]

header_self-service-checkin.jpg

I've been in many airports and I have never seen one that looked like this, one family checking in at one kiosk, a businessman checking in at another kiosk and one agent just waiting to help them. :eek::eek:

Believe it or not, that is actually the check-in lobby near gate A-12 (far north end of the terminal) at DFW.

We haven't printed boarding passes in several years. We just check in by phone at the gate.

We don't check luggage so I can't help you there.

I always use my boarding pass on my AA app on my iPhone. Wouldn't you know I did a super last minute trip to Cancun 2 weeks ago and didn't even think of them not having wifi at the airport and forgot to load my boarding pass before I left the Ritz. Got up to the check in desk and the lady asked me if I had my boarding pass in order to check my bags and I was stuck. They are still so behind the times at the airport.

Curbside check is in technically free with AA at MIA (you will still have to pay the $25 baggage fee) but without tipping, lord knows where your bag will end up!

There are self bag check in kiosks in a few areas of the MIA AA terminal. Once you check in and get your baggage tags you just wait on a small line and hand over the bags at the counters that say "bag check". There are always AA people around that will help if you run into a snag.

I don't yet know how to do the check in thing by phone, but I do have my tablet with me on board the ship, and can check in on it, just not print my boarding pass. I find that as long as I am checked in, and make it to the airport in good time, it is no problem to reprint the boarding pass there.

OP don't feel like you are acting the fool at the airport. I actually worked for an airline for many years, but am also many years and mucho technology long gone from that environment, so....I am often also much at a loss of how to deal with it all. You are not alone.

We use check in curbside for American Airlines from time to time including Miami.

You have a few options.

You could (don't have to but could) check in for the flight on line 24 hours prior to the flight. In our case, we print off the boarding passes. You could also have them on your phone but we do prefer the print out. Then at curbside you show your boarding pass and drivers license and they will do the check in off the luggage in the same manner that you could do inside. They do not work for the airline so they appreciate a cash tip.

The other option is to just arrive to curbside without your boarding pass and give them your flight number and show them your drivers license and they can print out your boarding pass.

In either scenario you can pay the fee for your bags there if a fee is applicable or if a fee is not applicable you do not pay.

The other option is not to use this service and check in inside the terminal.

If you already have your boarding pass you can use the kiosks inside for your luggage and there are American Airlines representatives who can help you with this. In our case when we go inside we just stand in the ticket counter line and have them do the luggage for us.

Either way once this is done then you get on the line for security.

Allow a lot of time. We will arrive to the airport two or more hours before our flight.

Keith

We never use curbside check in. We can handle our bags and Dh actually likes to see his bags until the last minute. Since you will need to check in at the desk inside, there is NO reason to do curbside check in.

...Just stick to the check in desk and nothing will go awry or confuse you.;)

Completely agree here. We do the same - we like to see our bags lifted up onto the conveyor belt. I know after that we're on a wing and a prayer, but we feel better about it than leaving our bags in a pile outside on the curb. :)

OP, just go inside. There is always an employee there who can help/direct you.

You do not need to have printed your boarding pass to do curbside. you go up to the baggage porter for your airline. He will ask your name and want to see a photo id. he will then confirm where you are going to, take your bag and charge you the money for your bag if need there is a fee with the airline. Then he will ask if you would like him to print your boarding pass. He gives that to you along with the luggage tag, you tip him and then you are off.

This is exactly right! The tip is just a customary thing for the ease of checking in curbside. Usually $1 per bag. They will handle ticket and luggage all right there and send you off! Lines are usually quicker than indoors. Don't stress and leave the work to the attendants!

Well, first. please do not think of yourself as a "fool". The entire airline experience, whether domestic or international, has become a trauma that simply has to be endured regardless of what Class in which one flies.

Thanks, I hate flying and tell people it is a necessary evil that must be endured to go on cruises. :D

What happened to you was wrong and they were taking advantage. Sorry for that.

That's what I thought was supposed to happen. I'm a good tipper, too. I tip the porters at the ship and the people at the airport $5 for my one bag! That's why I couldn't believe he sent me off to tip ANOTHER guy!

Thanks to everyone who gave advice. I don't understand those of you that choose to check in at the big, long line inside, that would make me crazy. But, to each his own. I don't worry (much) about the airline losing my luggage on my return trip. On the way down, yes. It's such a relief to see my big, purple bag come shooting out of the luggage area. :)

I have never seen a sign that said bag drop, I will look for it next week. Usually, I see about 100 people in line and 2 agents waiting on all of them. :(

Thanks, again to everyone. :D