Compass Rose lunch menus?

DaveFr

I came across some sample Compass Rose lunch menus on Voyager, Navigator and Mariner. (See: https://www.rssc.com/experience/cuisine/compass-rose/.). The menus revolve around dishes from Pacific Rim, Chartreuse and Prime 7 on Explorer.

I don't remember seeing anything about Compass Rose lunch on Voyager or Navigator after their recent renovation. Are the new lunch menus in effect now or are they yet to be implemented?

Dave - Brilliant find, indeed! We were on Voyager from 2 Dec - 22 Dec, Dubai to Singapore, and had the great pleasure of partaking of those marvelous menus for lunch nearly every day in CR. As shown in the Lunch Menus on the link that you posted, there are five (sometimes six) Daily Specials shown on the first page each day. The Appetizers on the first page and Main Courses on the second page stay the same every day until the menu is changed (in our case after about 10 days) to the alternative version.

The Desserts sometimes changed a bit from day to day.

The net result was a marvelous selection of very good dishes for lunch. We quickly found our favorites and would sometimes have several of the Appetizer selections as our whole lunch.

It always amazes us how few people take advantage of CR as a lovely venue for an elegant quiet lunch, perfect for wonderful food (particularly with these new versatile menus) and socializing, with none of the noise and bustle (and self-service) of La Veranda. We introduced several members of our trivia team to lunch in CR (although they had all cruised more than once previously on Regent, none of the three had ever lunched in CR - go figure...). It became the favored lunch venue for each of the three and their spouses. Yikes, we managed to make CR more crowded at lunch. ;)

Edited by freddie

IMO, it is important to note that the offerings on the Voyager (and likely the Mariner and Navigator) for lunch are not exactly the same as on the Explorer. While I appreciate seeing some of the lunch offerings on the other ships, the one item that we love is not on any of the "sample" menus. Plus, it seems that the very special dessert offerings from P7 are not offered on other ships. So, IMO, the Explorer remains the top of Regent's fleet - not only in ambiance and suites, but in food offerings.

Having said that, we "kind of" look forward to our upcoming Mariner cruiser as well as our two Voyager cruises. I have a feeling that by 2019, we will be craving the Explorer.

I guess that I must have missed the notion that this thread was regarding a comparison between Voyager/Navigator and Explorer lunches. The OP specifically asked about the offerings on Voyager & Navigator; and I responded sincerely to that query. In fact, the "sample" menus to which the OP linked are quite accurately the actual menus that we experienced last month on Voyager. Whether they might or might not be inferior to the offerings on Explorer does not appear to be relevant to this thread. We found the offerings on Voyager to be quite excellent and an improvement on the many previous lunch menus that we have enjoyed on both Voyager and Navigator.

Edited by freddie

• 3 months later...
You're joking - some of those lunch menus would do me for dinner. A burger for lunch would keep me happy ;)

I agree with you. Luckily (as I recall), there is a burger offered on the lunch menu.

As much as I love eating lunch in CR for the quietness and ambiance what I REALLY miss is the last page to be able to "build your own sandwich". Often the lunch choices are too much food and similar to a dinner entree. A simple ham and cheese or tuna fish on a baguette works for me.

Please Regent, bring back the "Build your own Sandwich" page. :)

We disembarked Mariner in early April. The right side of the lunch menu listed unchanging offerings selected from Regent's varying specialty restaurants while the left side listed the daily specials. I think I recall that a burger was always offered.

I do not miss the old menu in CR and especially did not care for the sandwiches. IMO, it is easy to tailor your lunch in CR to include protein, salad and no bread ..... or a salad. While I like dining in CR, my DH prefers salads from LV so he goes to LV, makes a salad and carries it down to CR. This meets both of our needs. There are so many choices on Regent, that it would b pretty difficult to not find something you like - whether it be in CR, LV or the Pool Grill.

We did find lunch in Chartreuse on Explorer to be quite good. Our favorite dish was chicken with mushroom sauce. While I did not have much of the mushroom sauce, the chicken was a nice, light lunch (as long as you avoid the dessert:-). Our favorite lunch tend to be ashore at local restaurants since having three meals a day on the ship is a bit much.

I'm not a breakfast person and could skip that entirely. Our our 30 night Explorer cruise we went to the Coffee Connection (also unfortunately named 'The Cafe'). Toast, fruit and coffee made a nice night breakfast.

IMO, Regent does not need to anything different. Their recent changes have made the majority of passengers very happy!

Petlover,

I am so glad that you posted regarding missing the last page/build your own sandwich as we,too, miss it. On long cruises we often enjoy a more formal

lunch but every now and then building your own sandwich was both a relief and a treat! Paula

Petlover,

I am so glad that you posted regarding missing the last page/build your own sandwich as we,too, miss it. On long cruises we often enjoy a more formal

lunch but every now and then building your own sandwich was both a relief and a treat! Paula

DH misses the build your own, too. But if you knew you wanted a certain sandwich for lunch on a given day, simply order it the day before with the maitre d' and it will be there for you the next day.

I'll probably get dissed, but that looks like a really heavy lunch menu to me. But then, everybody gets to choose their own venue and dishes, so I can think it's heavy and somebody else can think it's divine.

I too miss the last page of the CR lunch menu. I really enjoyed the build your own sandwiches. I like a sandwich and lunch and get tired of hamburgers. The sandwiches available are usually remade wraps in LV or the PG with things I don't want. I like to have something lighter for lunch like a sandwich and then have the heavier entrees at night. From reading this thread, It doesn't seem to me that "the majority of the passengers are happy with it"

I too miss the last page of the CR lunch menu. I really enjoyed the build your own sandwiches. I like a sandwich and lunch and get tired of hamburgers. The sandwiches available are usually remade wraps in LV or the PG with things I don't want. I like to have something lighter for lunch like a sandwich and then have the heavier entrees at night. From reading this thread, It doesn't seem to me that "the majority of the passengers are happy with it"

The "majority of passengers" are not on Cruise Critic so I suppose that all of our comments are rather meaningless. People that are looking for "light" lunches would not order a sandwich (unless they remove the bread). Rather, salads, small protein dishes with veggies, etc. would be for those wanting lighter lunches.

We don't trend to go to the Coffee Connection at lunch time but I believe that they have bread(s) and some items to make sandwiches. Can anyone give further detail on what is available there? Thanks!