tripit

sprint180

For those that may not know....

tripit is a neat website that stores all you trip info so you (and those left at home) have access to it while you are gone. It is super easy, just email them your confirmation emails and it is automatically put into your itinerary. Just put my cruise into it so my family knows where we will be.

I just set up a folder in DropBox where I put our itinerary with all contact details and any other useful information. As the trip progresses I backup photos to that area, and any trip notes that I make along the way.

I share the link to that folder so friends and family can see what we've been doing as well as having access to our itinerary.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Wow...I just tell my family where I'll be...not "high tech", but it sure works!

That's not so easy when you're on a seven week touring holiday of Ireland and the UK.

"Now we arrive in Dublin and will be there for three nights, then we're going to Waterford. Next night we're in Bantry, and after that in Limerick. Then back to Dublin." And that was only the first week LOL.

Our itinerary, with full contact details, was a seven page document :D

Well, there are plenty of ways to do everything I just thought the site was fun. But if you are interested and do group travel, it shows who will be doing each thing I believe. I thought that would be really handy for anyone traveling with kids like a school group.

Yeah, I just print up an itinerary and emergency phone number sheet to hand to those people who may need to know.

I do this for every cruise and we hand a copy to a couple of our neighbors and email to our siblings. In fact, my next door neighbor started doing an itinerary like mine for any long trips. I put the ship's info and phone number (with the caveat of costs), my cell number, my email address (for our last cruise as we had bought an Internet package -- but again a caveat that I might not check every day). A copy goes into our suitcases just in case they don't make it onboard.

I've used Tripit for a few years now. I have the Pro version (thanks to a job). I can use it to send my itinerary to people I want to have it. If traveling in a group, we can set it up so all sees where/when we will be somewhere. I like it very much - I can access what I need via an app or via the website on a computer.

Between Tripit and my mobile apps for having my airline boarding passes and Trenitalia etickets, I can do a bunch of trips without paper!!!

Edited by slidergirl

Wow...I just tell my family where I'll be...not "high tech", but it sure works!

me too, I simply write out a summary of our itinerary, put confirmation #'s contact info and anythiing else I might need. Copy it for family and put copies in my suitecases incase lost.

Between Tripit and my mobile apps for having my airline boarding passes and Trenitalia etickets, I can do a bunch of trips without paper!!!

That is probably what I thought was the best, no paper. I am an organizer and I print a lot of stuff in case something goes bad. And with this it puts all the info in for you, very little work and all info is there. Of course I emailed a copy to my daughter who is going with me. My kids make fun of all my preparation for trips.

I have also used Tripit for several years now, for both leisure and work travel.

One benefit for me was a cancelled flight one morning, when I received text notification from Tripit, but NOT from United Airlines. I was able to reschedule early that morning instead of several hours later, when convenient flights might not have been available. Thanks, Tripit!

I've used TripIt for several years now and LOVE it. I can update my plans from online or with my iPad or (android in my case) phone apps. The new information is updated across all platforms. Everything is in one place planes, ship, rental cars, tours, specialty dining, hotels, transfer services.... If I want, I can print out the details of a trip in one neat and tidy document.

I also like the TripIt map feature. In one port on our next cruise we have a rental car reserved. The office is several blocks from the pier and I'm just going to walk over to pick it up. I'll have the TripIt map already easily accessible on my phone.

One of my relatives is a baseball umpire. He is on the road constantly (bit of an understatement ;)) during baseball season. Oddly, last time he and his crew umped a series here, we happened to talk about TripIt. He also loves it for keeping everyone on the crew organized with their travel plans.

Yes, back in the 'old days' we kept things organized ourselves and still managed to travel. We also managed to talk to others using a rotary dial phone ages ago. Today we have smart phones and can't imagine going back to the limitations of that rotary dial land line. Traveling now without using TripIt would be a similar leap back for us.

For those that may not know....

tripit is a neat website that stores all you trip info so you (and those left at home) have access to it while you are gone. It is super easy, just email them your confirmation emails and it is automatically put into your itinerary. Just put my cruise into it so my family knows where we will be.

TripIt is freeekin' awesome. (ok, I'll calm down now)

One thing people don't realize with it is that it keeps a copy of your itinerary on your phone if you have the app, so you don't need data to reference the info.

The other must-have for your phone when travelling is "Citymaps2Go" which again, downloads the map to your phone, and doesn't need data to run.

Heres a fun thing...Tripit just texted me telling me my trip was going to start soon, and sending a copy of my itinerary. How fun. It made me happy I will say, and got me kinda excited about my vacation.

I practically live on the road (ok, maybe not, but I travel many times each month, both domestically and internationally), and TripIt is wonderful. My wife can see where I am, where I am staying, what time my flights are, etc. My mother always likes to know too, despite my now being 30 years old and far from living under her roof, and it allows her to check out where I am as well. I only do the free version, but it's a wonderful tool to me.

Funny TripIt story - my cousin travels quite a bit too, and we're connected on TripIt. I was sitting at my hotel bar in Seattle and hopped on TripIt to check my meetings for the next day, and saw that my cousin was also "nearby" (aka in Seattle at the same time). Turns out he was staying in the hotel across the street (I live in KC, he lives in Chicago, so the fact that we were in Seattle at the same time, let alone across the street, is hilarious). So I walked across and met him at his hotel bar.