My thoughts on how to improve the LCV update

Andy

Hi Everyone,

I've been giving this thought since Azamara's announcement. A lot of thought. So much so, that I've barely slept in the past 24 hours. While most everyone isn't pleased with the new plan, here's my ideas on how to make things right.

1. Reinstate the complimentary laundry benefit. I'd be surprised if this is a huge expense, and should be relatively easy to correct.

2. Reinstate the complimentary Internet, at reduced levels. I'm sure many of us would agree that Azamara's Interenet benefits were *very* generous - probably too generous. While this adds signficant expense to my proposal, the costs should be much less than what is currently offered. I've also added some cost savings ideas to offset this reinstatement, in items 3-5.

Here's what I suggest for Internet benefits :

Adventurer : 60 compimentary minutes

Explorer : 90 complimentary minutes

Discoverer : 120 complimentary minutes

Discoverer Plus : 180 complimentary minutes

Discoverer Platinum : 240 complimentary minutes

Note : I'd also hope for some bonus minutes for longer sailings of 8+ nights, but not a dealbreaker.

3. Eliminate the Onboard Future Savings concept : Very few guests seem interested in this, and would likely welcome it's elimimation in favor of the Internet and Laundry reinstatement. Offer a reasonable OBC for booking onboard, along with your other promotions. Azamara can thereby utilize the savings, by not offering this item, towards your Internet/Laundry costs.

4. Eliminate the earned complimentary nights by tier : IMO, it's complicated, and seems to hurt your most loyal guests. Why would you (unintentionally) go there ? They should be your key target, and are critical towards an exciting future at Azamara. Again, utilize the savings towards the Internet & Laundry reinstatement.

5. Upgrade your stateroom : I like this benefit very much, but if Azamara can save money and help it towards the goal of reinstating Internet and Laundry, I believe most of your guests would be fine if it were eliminated.

6. Loyalty Ambassador : Nice idea, but not a must. If you can save money by eliminating this item, then do so. Utilize the savings towards Internet & Laundry reinstatement.

I hope Azamara will give all or some of this consideration. Looking forward to your replies !

Edited by Host Andy

Nice job, Andy.

Most of us are pretty travel savy but the new programs are incomprehensable.

How anyone could have thought by upsetting your most loyal customers there could have been a happy ending.

If loyal customers cruise Azamara again and again at 8 to 12 THOUSAND dollars a pop why screw around with a bag of dirty laundry and some internet minutes. This was as good an idea as changing the formula of Coca-Cola, and we all know how that turned out.

Again, a big thank you, I now hope that someone will listen.

Andy,

I like your idea of reinstating the free Internet minutes at reduced levels.

In my case, if I got 60 free minutes as Adventurer level, I would be MUCH more likely to in turn pay to get a package with more minutes to add on.

On the other hand, if I get 0 minutes, I will likely go without on the ship and just use internet hot spots while in port.

This could be a reasonable solution IF the internet worked.

I'd be happy with less "free" internet if it worked.

I'd even be willing to pay $125.00 per week for unlimited fast internet.

BUT, it isn't fair to charge for internet that keeps dropping, stopping, or failing.

I know the technology is out there, because other ships and lines have internet that is close to normal shoreside speeds.

If Andy gets his wish i would then have less internet minutes than on Celebrity that double months after i was on there last. i would take laundry over minutes but still...

I am Discover Plus and I believe even with all my cruises I never get a free night much less more than one. I do ont need any upgrade at $199 or even less. I am a deck 8 person so where could I go/ also could they afford to give me a large aft suite if I wanted it/

love al lthe ideas lets see where it goes.

Thank you Andy! You pulled together and made sense of everything we have been saying. I hope they are listening.

What I can't understand is why Celebrity will still offer free laundry and internet as a perk and Azamara at a much higher price point wants to drop this as a benefit. I feel like we are still missing a piece of the puzzle.

Hi Everyone,

I've been giving this thought since Azamara's announcement. A lot of thought. So much so, that I've barely slept in the past 24 hours. While most everyone isn't pleased with the new plan, here's my ideas on how to make things right.

1. Reinstate the complimentary laundry benefit. I'd be surprised if this is a huge expense, and should be relatively easy to correct.

2. Reinstate the complimentary Internet, at reduced levels. I'm sure many of us would agree that Azamara's Interenet benefits were *very* generous - probably too generous. While this adds signficant expense to my proposal, the costs should be much less than what is currently offered.

3. Eliminate the Onboard Future Savings concept : Very few guests seem interested in this, and would likely welcome it's elimimation in favor of the Internet and Laundry reinstatement. Offer a reasonable OBC for booking onboard, along with your other promotions. Azamara can thereby utilize the savings, by not offering this item, towards your Internet/Laundry costs.

I can't see what savings they will have by eliminating the free laundry. It was already reduced to one bag per statement per week. People who don't want to pay for laundry, won't. They will just bring more clothes onboard and/or opt to fight to use the laundry room. Everyone liked this benefit.

As far as the internet, have they/RCCL attempted to negotiate better rates with the satellite company providing the bandwidth? I understand one company almost has a monopoly. There are other ways to cut costs without just cutting off the free internet completely. Some free minutes would be better than none.

I actually expected them to cut the minutes, but not cut the free internet off completely.

I thought I read they were switching to OBC for future cruises. Many people still don't understand the current discounts for booking onboard. I always hear people say they can get a better rate from their own agent.

As far as free nights, if it's too complicated no one will be able to use it, and just get frustrated with the company. All I read was "booked within a year". We book our cruises two years in advance.

Edited by Jade13

If Andy gets his wish i would then have less internet minutes than on Celebrity that double months after i was on there last. i would take laundry over minutes but still...

I am Discover Plus and I believe even with all my cruises I never get a free night much less more than one. I do ont need any upgrade at $199 or even less. I am a deck 8 person so where could I go/ also could they afford to give me a large aft suite if I wanted it/

love al lthe ideas lets see where it goes.

Hi Robin,

I'm not quite sure it's a wish, but more of what I'd call a reasonable compromise. Believe me, I totally respect that losing internet minutes is not the greatest thought. However, at this point, retaining most of the benefits, (if it were to happen) should be very welcome news.

In my industry, I've negotiated large deals over the years, and had great success in making them happen. What made the deals work ? For the most part, compromise was a major factor. When everyone is willing to sit down and listen to each other... the chances of striking a deal are excellent.

I sincerely hope this will prove to be a time where compromise brings success, and we can return to being excited about Azamara going forward. IMO, it's a wonderful brand, and the onboard Officers and Crew are fantastic. I'm passionate about them having a very successful future. If I didn't care so much about Azamara and their Officers & Crew, I wouldn't have spent most of the past 30+ hours, thinking about all of this. I'm exhausted. My eyes are so blurry, that I can barely read what I'm typing. Time for a nap LOL.

Let's hope it's all worth the effort.

Edited by Host Andy

Hi Robin,

I'm not quite sure it's a wish, but more of what I'd call a reasonable compromise. Believe me, I totally respect that losing internet minutes is not the greatest thought. However, at this point, retaining most of the benefits, (if it were to happen) should be very welcome news.

i still feel laundry means more. mainly becasue it is rare that the internrt works in my cabin. love sititng on the stairs late at night in my nightie. yes, i have done it.. but washing clothes by hand gets old.

In my industry, I've negotiated large deals over the years, and had great success in making them happen. What made the deals work ? For the most part, compromise was a major factor. When everyone is willing to sit down and listen to each other... the chances of striking a deal are excellent.

dad was in business and compromise helps with everything. i just think it hurts as i was on ship and no one knew or did not say a word. even the brubnch time was cut-i never went.

I sincerely hope this will prove to be a time where compromise brings success, and we can return to being excited about Azamara going forward. IMO, it's a wonderful brand, and the onboard Officers and Crew are fantastic. I'm passionate about them having a very successful future. If I didn't care so much about Azamara and their Officers & Crew, I wouldn't have spent most of the past 30+ hours, thinking about all of this. I'm exhausted. My eyes are so blurry, that I can barely read what I'm typing. Time for a nap LOL.

Let's hope it's all worth the effort.

I LOVE the crew and officers. I run around looking for people when iget on and I run around to say goodbye.. but MIA needs to think again. get some sleep please.

Andy - thanks for the suggestions.

I seriously doubt that Azamara will amend their changes.

They spent almost a year figuring out what changes to make.

There is some reason that we don't know about that drove them to this.

I do not believe that Royal has any interest in perpetuating the Azamara brand. They have updated the internet on ALL of the Celebrity and RCCL ships. Unlimited internet is available on the Oasis & Allure for $150 per week. They have made no changes to the Azamara ships. That tells me they are not interested in the future of the line.

My benefits as Zenith on Celebrity are SO AMAZING compared to what Azamara offers that even if the prices were the same I would sail Celebrity.

Since Azamara prices are comparable to high end suites on Celebrity (with AMAZING benefits come April 2015) I don't know how Azamara will stay in business.

Sorry Azamara, but I think you just put the nail in your coffin:(

It has been interesting for me to follow the various threads relating to the changes in Club Benefits. We are mainly Seabourn Cruisers (Gold level status) and are taking our first Azamara Cruise in Dec 14/Jan 15 (29 days in two back to back cruises on Quest). I can well understand the comments from seasoned Azamara Cruisers on the loss of benefits.

To provide some comparison, I will provide an overview of Seabourn Club Benefits. There is quite a good list of benefit options which include savings on shore excursions, savings on premium drinks, On Board Booking discounts, free telephone minutes, spa and massage benefits. I will concentrate on the Internet & Laundry benefits as this is the main area of loss seen by Azamara cruisers.

On Seabourn your status level is determined on points - 1 point for each sea day (additional point per day for Penthouse & higher suites) plus 1 point for onboard & precruise purchases per $500 spent. A cruiser attains Silver level at 20 -69 points & can select 1 free benefit from the benefit list. At Gold level (70 - 139 points) you select 2 free benefits. At Platinum level (140-249 points) you select 3 free benefits and at Diamond level (250+ points) you receive all of the listed benefits. The free internet minutes benefit starts at silver with 120 minutes, increases to 180 minutes at Gold, 240 minutes at Platinum and unlimited free minutes at Diamond. Laundry benefit is 1 free bag of laundry per cruise at each level until Diamond when free laundry is unlimited.

Each pax in the suite receives the Club benefits as per their status level, so in our case, we are each able to choose from 2 benefits in the Gold Status list - this provides us with 360 minutes of internet plus 2 bags of laundry should they be the two benefits we each choose.

I have noticed an improvement in internet speed and capacity over our years onboard Seabourn, but it still cannot be compared with on-land internet speed.

Additionally, Seabourn provide a free 7 day cruise after 140 sailed days or a free 14 night cruise after 250 sailed days.

At certain milestones (commences at 100 days sailed) a Tiffany & Co gift is also received.

Host Andy's thoughts on a compromise in benefits makes sense and I hope my outline of Seabourn Club benefits allows some comparison and compromise into the discussion

Andy, Thanks for all you do for us on Azamara and Celebrity boards. Get some sleep !! Heather

Thanks very much Heather. Hopefully, I'll get some sleep tonight :)

Hi Andy

The Onboard Future Savings concept has always worked well for us in the past. We transfer our bookings to our UK TA when we get home and we get the onboard saving plus our TA's discount. It makes a tangible difference to the cruise fare and so we would be disappointed if it were to be removed. Yet to test the new system of course... Thanks for your thoughts and all you do by the way.

Are the harpists bacK?

Has the alcoholic beverage program been changed as suggested?

Never gonna happen.

If they were listening to loyal passengers they would not have made these changes in the first place

Quote from RCCL rep ini response to my TA -- they think they are ADDING VALUE

It has been decided that we will not be providing free internet to Le Club Voyage Members. It was a hard decision but we feel that with the new enhancements that has been added to the program it is offering more value overall.

They are delusional.

Andy,

I have a better solution.

Obviously Azamara decided that the free laundry and internet were costing them too much.

I believe this is because of all the loyal Celebrity cruisers who also sail on Azamara and get free benefits.

Azamara has always said that they would eventually decouple themselves from Celebrity.

I believe the time is NOW to do that.

Not only should they not offer benefits to the Celebrity cruiser who sails on Azamara they should create a new cruise history database with ONLY the Azamara sailing history. So if it takes 300 point to be Discoverer ALL of those points must have been earned on Azamara and only on Azamara.

If this were done, then Azamara could afford to reinstate the free benefits for those who frequently sail on Azamara. It is not fair to punish the frequent Azamara cruiser because Azamara cannot afford to give all the Celebrity cross overs free benefits.

I have sailed on Azamara 3 times and Celebrity almost 100. Based on the current pricing and my AMAZING Zenith benefits I doubt I will ever sail on Azamara again. I do feel sorry for those Discoverer Plus cruisers who have sailed exclusively on Azamara who are being hurt by these changes.

Azamara please consider this for your loyal frequent cruisers.

Andy,

Obviously Azamara decided that the free laundry and internet were costing them too much.

I believe this is because of all the loyal Celebrity cruisers who also sail on Azamara and get free benefits.

Azamara has always said that they would eventually decouple themselves from Celebrity.

Not only should they not offer benefits to the Celebrity cruiser who sails on Azamara they should create a new cruise history database with ONLY the Azamara sailing history. So if it takes 300 point to be Discoverer ALL of those points must have been earned on Azamara and only on Azamara.

If this were done, then Azamara could afford to reinstate the free benefits for those who frequently sail on Azamara. It is not fair to punish the frequent Azamara cruiser because Azamara cannot afford to give all the Celebrity cross overs free benefits.

I have sailed on Azamara 3 times and Celebrity almost 100. Based on the current pricing and my AMAZING Zenith benefits I doubt I will ever sail on Azamara again. I do feel sorry for those Discoverer Plus cruisers who have sailed exclusively on Azamara who are being hurt by these changes.

Incredibly smart idea. It would adversely affect me but I think it is a brilliant solution and a fair one. Too bad you don't work for Azamara.

Andy,

I'd be down a tier, but in actual fact it would be easier for me to achieve some free nights. At present under the new proposals and being bang in the middle of Discoverer Plus I'm far away from the next level and some who are lower down the Discoverer Plus points table are even further away from any free nights. Doesn't seem a very fair way to reward your most loyal cruisers.

Actually, thinking about it this is probably why they aren't doing as you suggest. It will cost them too much in free nights.

Phil

A free laundry bag and some internet minutes??? Is that worth it? The last 48 hours Azamara has probably lost 4 million$ worth of revenue because loyal cruisers are fleeing the brand. History will tell, but IMO this is the worst mistakes in advertising. You just don't go and tell your best customers they are stupid.

Edited by oddjob16

A free laundry bag and some internet minutes??? Is that worth it? The last 48 hours Azamara has probably lost 4 million$ worth of revenue because loyal cruisers are fleeing the brand. History will tell, but IMO this is the worst mistakes in advertising. You just don't go and tell your best customers they are stupid.

Spot on

I cruise 3 to 5 times a year

Stupid doesn't begin to describe what they have done

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We aint as dumb as we look! ;)

Phil

I have begun to wonder if we are actually the customers they want or is this a cunning ploy. Regardless we are looking forward to Quest in 3 weeks and Journey in November then after that we will probably consider more cruises on Celebrity or Oceania, the itinerary choice is wider with them too.