84 Year old Overboard from Sun Princess

Stuartm

I can not understand how anyone can fall overboard, they must be drunk, risk taking, have dementia or committing suicide?

I feel for all concerned. I hope it all pans out for the best but I feel it probably won't unfortunately.

Edited by bubbles2014

Beats me how anyone can "fall" overboard

You would have to be doing something very much outside of the bounds of normal behaviour as the railings are mostly chest high

To get over the railing you would have to climb up over the rail and put one leg over. That or even take a running dive head first

For an 84 year old to do any of this seems fanciful

I hate to suggest it but it sounds like it could have been a deliberate act and not an accident

John

Very sad for his family.

It is basically impossible to just fall off a Cruiseship.

All information provided makes it sound like he had decided to end his own life.

This is becoming all too common on Cruiseships.

I hope him and his family have peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My son is due to be on board today and has just advised that they will be now boarding tomorrow. He has had to find a hotel....decided on the $70 backpackers over the $500 Four Seasons :D

Aren't Princess looking after it?

Beats me how anyone can "fall" overboard

You would have to be doing something very much outside of the bounds of normal behaviour as the railings are mostly chest high

To get over the railing you would have to climb up over the rail and put one leg over. That or even take a running dive head first

For an 84 year old to do any of this seems fanciful

I hate to suggest it but it sounds like it could have been a deliberate act and not an accident John

Agree ... Seems it's quite possible he was pushed/thrown overboard by someone else. :o

LuLu

Email: compensation will be one day as on board credit.

Accommodation to be put through a different system (whatever that means)..

Surely Princess will pay overnight hotel for tonight for people not in Sydney area.

IMO, he jumped (or was pushed) cannot just fall overboard, the first is most likely. Very sad.:(

Unfortunately, with Australia's laws on euthanasia, this may become a more regular occurrence when cruising, as people find no alternative.:eek:

There are alternatives.

But whenever you do this, there are many others harmed, and/or negatively impacted by it.

It's becoming more common for people to take a cruise with their families and then on the last night jumping over board.

In instances where someone us diagnosed with a terminal illness it is understandable that they don't want months/years of debilitating treatment.

The family will hopefully get comfort that they got to enjoy the cruise with their loved one.

It's sad that people have to make this choice.

I am on that cruise. Rang Princess and was told they would not be paying for overnight accommodation. They said if it was mechanical, weather they would but not for person overboard situation. Also rang Zurich as I have travel insurance through my platinum credit card and was told they wouldn't cover it for the same reason.

I am on that cruise. Rang Princess and was told they would not be paying for overnight accommodation. They said if it was mechanical, weather they would but not for person overboard situation. Also rang Zurich as I have travel insurance through my platinum credit card and was told they wouldn't cover it for the same reason.

Get a statement /letter from Princess and take that to your Insurance company. Check the fine print, you may find that your insurance may cover delays of travel.:D

Sorry, but I don't find much sympathy for cruise jumpers. They put the cruise company to enormous expense, risk the lives of crew who may have to enter the water to retrieve a body, put a downer on the cruise for the remaining passengers and create havoc for the people waiting to board the next cruise as well as reducing the duration of their holiday. Why not complete your cruise and then take a walk down to The Gap. Same result but a lot less people affected.

No need to have sympathy for the jumpers, just for the people they left behind who are dealing with the consequences of their loved-one's metal illness.

Can you even begin to imagine the physical and/or emotional pain that it takes before a person decides to end their own life?

However, perhaps we need to wait till we know what has actually happened before se start speculating.

I did a search and couldn't find anything, but in any event it is important people know.

BTW how many threads are there ***** tipping, drinks packages, formal nights?

This is a lot more mportant than any of those.

Two stickies on the Princess board.

I'm interested and I am not stirring the pot, but apart from impact on those who should be boarding who would be notified anyway, why is this important that people know?

Two stickies on the Princess board.

I'm interested and I am not stirring the pot, but apart from impact on those who should be boarding who would be notified anyway, why is this important that people know?

Well it's a rather large impact on those boarding don't you think?