Documents?

JPH814

I have not sailed Holland America for a few years. Here's a dumb question:

We are leaving Wednesday for a cruise tour on the Oosterdam. I received an email a couple of weeks ago saying our documents are ready on line and we can print them out. Does that mean we will not be receiving them in the mail?

It has been years since HAL has sent out documents.

I only print page 1 for each of you. There are around 19 pages. You may want to print at least one entire set since you have not cruised on HAL for a while.

You will also have to print out your luggage tags as well.

thanks...

As a Carnival stockholder, I appreciate the cost efficiency.

But getting the documents in the mail was always an exciting event. Not as much fun printing them yourself.

It has been years since HAL has sent out documents.

I only print page 1 for each of you. There are around 19 pages. You may want to print at least one entire set since you have not cruised on HAL for a while.

You will also have to print out your luggage tags as well.

I do the same - print out one complete set for me and only page 1 of set for my wife. If we have close cruises, I use the old complete set (minus page 1) and then just print out page 1s for both of us. Saving paper!

thanks...

As a Carnival stockholder, I appreciate the cost efficiency.

But getting the documents in the mail was always an exciting event. Not as much fun printing them yourself.

Well then, just print off a copy without reading it and mail it to yourself! :)

Actually, you don't HAVE to print anything....but everyone likes to have it in their hand! The rest of the docs are information...you should read it, but do not need to bring it with you or print it at all.

No more nice document holders.

No more of the round tin Mariners Pins previously included with documents.

No more luggage tags mailed.

No printing/paper costs for HAL.

No postage costs for HAL.

You may be back to ask about luggage tags. :D I don't want to ruin it for you. It's interesting to hear what all of us do about OUR printing the tags and attaching them. :D

Actually, you don't HAVE to print anything....but everyone likes to have it in their hand! The rest of the docs are information...you should read it, but do not need to bring it with you or print it at all.

This is not good advice, IMO

While most of the time when we arrived at Port Everglades in a taxi, the Sheriffs doing security checks asked only to see our Passports but at least 3-4 times asked to see our cruise confirmation/tickets. I had to produce the printed first page for their inspection.

I strongly suggest that everyone print out the first page -- we have been asked to show them to get into the terminals at Ft Lauderdale, San Diego and Seattle a couple of times.

I strongly suggest that everyone print out the first page -- we have been asked to show them to get into the terminals at Ft Lauderdale, San Diego and Seattle a couple of times.

Agree with Krazy Kruizers on this. Some times we are asked for them by HAL, sometimes not. Plus the port agents sometimes ask for them as well.

That is not always true. Often the docs are not needed but sometimes they are. On our Veendam cruise to Bermuda last month we needed to show the cruise documents to enter the terminal.

Once, we disappeared from the system two days into the voyage and I had to show our documents to prove we should be on the ship. Our cards stopped working and our cabin was showing as unoccupied. I think they suspected we were stowaways on the Eurodam. At any rate, we were happy we had the cruise documents with us.

No more nice document holders.

No more of the round tin Mariners Pins previously included with documents.

No more luggage tags mailed.

No printing/paper costs for HAL.

No postage costs for HAL.

You may be back to ask about luggage tags. :D I don't want to ruin it for you. It's interesting to hear what all of us do about OUR printing the tags and attaching them. :D

I still use the blue document holder that I got on my first cruise in 1984. Personally, I got to the point where I was throwing them out.

Luggage Tags do not need to be printed out. There is always someone at the port who has the blank ones where you can write in your name, cabin number, and date of embarkation.

I still use the blue document holder that I got on my first cruise in 1984. Personally, I got to the point where I was throwing them out.

Luggage Tags do not need to be printed out. There is always someone at the port who has the blank ones where you can write in your name, cabin number, and date of embarkation.

You're right about the stevedores always having luggage tags that can be quickly completed and attached. I bought some of the plastic tag holders CC sells in the Cruise Critic store and I like them. I quickly slip a tag into each and put on each suitcase. Done! Easy. :)

I hope you know about and have applied for the shareholders room credit.

I do and I did - a nice non-taxable "dividend". And the stock has had a pretty nice run up lately. The gift that keeps on giving:)

I do and I did - a nice non-taxable "dividend". And the stock has had a pretty nice run up lately. The gift that keeps on giving:)

I don't believe its "non-taxable" but qualified to be taxed at the 15% rate.

We still have about six of the old folders. I use one on every cruise to carry all of my important information including our passports. Plus I carry "tip money" in another and have it readily available. We also only print out the boarding documents but they usually do not ask for them and have never had to show the Boarding Document in FLL?

You're right about the stevedores always having luggage tags that can be quickly completed and attached. I bought some of the plastic tag holders CC sells in the Cruise Critic store and I like them. I quickly slip a tag into each and put on each suitcase. Done! Easy. :)

Same here - I really like the CC plastic tag holders. Inexpensive and easy to use. Great for back-to back cruises on different ships as you just slip the old tags out and put the new ones in!

I don't believe its "non-taxable" but qualified to be taxed at the 15% rate.

At the risk of hijacking my own thread ---

Let me clarify for those who might miss my point about Carnival Corp Stock.

If you own at least 100 shares of carnival stock, you can get an On Board Credit for each sailing on board any carnival corp. ship (including HAL). I view this as a non-taxable "dividend". I know it is not a dividend per se but money is money..

The stock also does pay a real dividend which is taxable unless held in a tax-free account like a Roth or an IRA. I actually hold my in an IRA so, yes, this real dividend is non taxable to me. And yes, stock held in an IRA is eligible for the on board credit.

SO the point is, if you do take a fair number of cruises within the carnival family (and you see from my signature I do) consider picking up 100 shares. It has done well of late (up 32% in the past 12 months), pays a 2% dividend and gives you a tax-free on board credit to boot.