Soda on Oceania

moviegal

Hello fellow cruisers! I know that soda is included on Oceania and as I've never before sailed on the line, I have a couple of questions. One, is it fountain soda or canned soda (or both), and two, what brand(s) of soda / diet soda are onboard? Thanks! (Gee, I must be really thirsty today since I have soda on my mind, ha ha)!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello fellow cruisers! I know that soda is included on Oceania and as I've never before sailed on the line, I have a couple of questions. One, is it fountain soda or canned soda (or both), and two, what brand(s) of soda / diet soda are onboard? Thanks! (Gee, I must be really thirsty today since I have soda on my mind, ha ha)!

I would say that it is about 80% canned product, generally Coke or Pepsi family brands which will vary dependent on where the ship is being provisioned.

If you have a particular preference, Special Services will do a check and let you know if your brand can be obtained (have your Agent put in a request).

In cases where a product will only be available if they fly it out to the ship, you will get a quote for how much that will cost, but the option to pull the trigger or not will be yours. ;)

What you will see the most is Coke products (in cans). Whatever you do, don't drink up my stock of Pellegrino water.

Last month on Insignia WC segment Coke (regular) CocaCola light, Coke Zero, Schwappes ginger ale, Sprite and Sprite zero (for most of cruise). Mostly yellow artificial sugar packets -- almost never pink and occasionally could find blue (I like pink ). Good selection of hot teas. Coffee was decent but I had to water down (I drink weak coffee). Orange juice/apple juice/ grapefruit /tomato juices always at breakfast and by order. Iced tea (probably not brewed but good quality mix), lemonade, milk available. Didn't see fruit punch much. GREAT milkshakes absolutely addictive -- start on day 1 just so you know you are on O! Pool bar made a lovely virgin pina colada, strawberry daquari -- chat them up and they take good care of non-alcohol drinkers. No cost for no alcohol. Bottled water always available as you go off the ship. I was not happy to see that the water changed halfway through and the local brand that I thought I was so clever to avoid became the ship water. I always carry my own water bottle -- I then control what I put in it and I can tell my seat from the others -- my bottle is red with flowers. We had sodas in the mini bar (can order ahead but then mostly just ask your cabin attendant). We also asked for large bottles of water to fill our personal water bottles. Really cold water in the coolers in the spa and gym.

Last month on Insignia WC segment Coke (regular) CocaCola light, Coke Zero, Schwappes ginger ale, Sprite and Sprite zero (for most of cruise). Mostly yellow artificial sugar packets -- almost never pink and occasionally could find blue (I like pink ). Good selection of hot teas. Coffee was decent but I had to water down (I drink weak coffee). Orange juice/apple juice/ grapefruit /tomato juices always at breakfast and by order. Iced tea (probably not brewed but good quality mix), lemonade, milk available. Didn't see fruit punch much. GREAT milkshakes absolutely addictive -- start on day 1 just so you know you are on O! Pool bar made a lovely virgin pina colada, strawberry daquari -- chat them up and they take good care of non-alcohol drinkers. No cost for no alcohol. Bottled water always available as you go off the ship. I was not happy to see that the water changed halfway through and the local brand that I thought I was so clever to avoid became the ship water. I always carry my own water bottle -- I then control what I put in it and I can tell my seat from the others -- my bottle is red with flowers. We had sodas in the mini bar (can order ahead but then mostly just ask your cabin attendant). We also asked for large bottles of water to fill our personal water bottles. Really cold water in the coolers in the spa and gym.

Perhaps a small, but not insignificant, point about O's attention to detail.

In the food service world, there are "yellow sugar" packets and there are "yellow sugar" packets.

Oceania uses Splenda, which is about as close as to can get to real sugar without poisoning yourself. A lot of cheap restaurants (and equally cheap cruise lines) have yellow packets of saccharine- oh so gross!

Perhaps a small, but not insignificant, point about O's attention to detail.

In the food service world, there are "yellow sugar" packets and there are "yellow sugar" packets.

Oceania uses Splenda, which is about as close as to can get to real sugar without poisoning yourself. A lot of cheap restaurants (and equally cheap cruise lines) have yellow packets of saccharine- oh so gross!

Yellow packets are Splenda (sucralose), pink are saccharine, and blue are aspartame. I thought Oceania had all three. Most diabetics I know have to use saccharine.

Yellow packets are Splenda (sucralose), pink are saccharine, and blue are aspartame. I thought Oceania had all three. Most diabetics I know have to use saccharine.

Yes. I only mentioned the Splenda as a better tasting option to Truvia.

Not on Oceania but worth a mention is that I've seen some yellow packets in diners that are not Splenda (I think they're just lookalikes to save the place money since Splenda isn't "cheap.")

In almost all cases passengers are served/provided Coke Products. The Crew gets Pepsi Products (which I prefer). As stated above, ask your TA to request anything rare or unusual well before boarding. In my case, I can ask my butler to "steal" some Diet Pepsi from the crew dining facility and it will appear in my cabin fridge in short order. ;)

JMBobB

In almost all cases passengers are served/provided Coke Products. The Crew gets Pepsi Products (which I prefer). As stated above, ask your TA to request anything rare or unusual well before boarding. In my case, I can ask my butler to "steal" some Diet Pepsi from the crew dining facility and it will appear in my cabin fridge in short order. ;)

JMBobB

Interesting! I wonder why the difference between passengers and crew. You'd think if the ship carries both, both would be available to passengers. I'm so used to restaurants carrying one or the other, I guess I assumed cruise ships did the same.

• 3 weeks later...
The description of virgin drinks offered is very exciting. Might get to supplement my usual club soda with lime. Will they serve them at any bar? In the dining rooms? Thanks in advance.

of course they will