How often have you been upgraded

Fishymom

It does happen but don't hold your breath for it. Upgrades usually occur between like categories (oceanview to a higher category oceanview, etc).

We've never been upgraded from an oceanview to a balcony, but we were moved from Riviera to Empress on a similar category.

The best story is from my PVP. He had a family of 4 booked in an inside cabin, but because Carnival needed the specific cabin, they upgraded the family to a Grand Suite! The wife called irate and threw a fit because she did not want a suite. She wanted her inside cabin back at all cost! My PVP tried to talk some sense into this woman but she wouldn't budge. Turns out they had small children and they were deathly afraid that the little ones would jump off the balcony. Carnival did end up putting them back in the original inside cabin and upgraded someone else.

I had a free upgrade once. It was on Elation.

We went from an OV to a Suite.

This was quite a few years ago.

I paid $75 once to upgrade from an OV to a Balcony on Panorama. There were three of us. Pretty good deal. The ship was Victory.

And once I got the call to upgrade from a Balcony to a Suite for $1000. This was on Glory. No thanks!

That's the history of my upgrade/upsell calls.

By the cruise line, not by your wallet?

Are there chances that someone books an OV and gets a key to balcony upon check in?:cool:

Only once in 30 cruises. I was already Platinum. I think though it was a mixup. I had booked an inside cabin through a PVP and received a call a few weeks before the cruise offering me an upgrade to a higher deck. I declined and didn't give it any more thought. When I went to check in the agent wrote down the number 1035 and I was in 6294. When I asked what that number was she said it was my cabin number!!!!!!

Got on the ship and went to 1035 and it was a balcony cabin.!!!

This was long before the upsell fairies started handling all this.......the odds of a free upgrade are almost non-existent. And since the ships sail pretty much full, there really isn't an opportunity to even ask for an upgrade after getting to the pier.

BTW the shoreside agent can't upgrade you. If it happens at all it would be done at Guest Services after check in, but it's been years since I've been on a ship that didn't have the no vacancy sign posted.

My very first cruise on Fantasy six years ago I was upgraded from an oceanview to a grand suite. As were 4 other cabins in my party (it was my 30th birthday celebration cruise). It was wonderful, but it completely spoiled me. No other room will ever live up to that one!

The best story is from my PVP. He had a family of 4 booked in an inside cabin, but because Carnival needed the specific cabin, they upgraded the family to a Grand Suite! The wife called irate and threw a fit because she did not want a suite. She wanted her inside cabin back at all cost! My PVP tried to talk some sense into this woman but she wouldn't budge. Turns out they had small children and they were deathly afraid that the little ones would jump off the balcony. Carnival did end up putting them back in the original inside cabin and upgraded someone else.

wow

Our 1st 2 cruises we were upgraded from an inside to an ocean view. I had told the TA that we were dealing with that I wanted as cheap as we could get on the boat without having to sleep in a bunk bed. In both cases we ended up in ocean views on the 6th floor.

Just last fall we booked a guarantee just 5 days out. The Carnival rep told me that we were paying the 1a price and would probably be in upper/lower on the 1st or 2cnd floor. It was our 5th cruise of the year and we decided to just go with it. We got an inside on the 8th floor just below the buffet. We loved how convenient it was to those aft elevators and stairs, and I loved that I didn't have to climb a ladder to get in and out of bed.

By the cruise line, not by your wallet?

Are there chances that someone books an OV

and gets a key to balcony upon check in? ===> Slim, but not impossible.

Twice in one year - 2008

Ocean Village Two, a UK cruise line no longer in existence.

:DOur first few cruises we were traveling with my Sister and Brother in law. WE always booked inside gty and we always got oceanview front of boat!

It was the 3rd trip that we realized it was because BIL used Oxygen!! For safety they moved us! :D Since we had the rooms linked together they moved us together!!

BIL passed away so no more upgrades that way!

Now I am giving Carnival a chance. We are doing Cruise #10 soon and booked a really low price 1A (I know upper/lower), Just could not pass up the insanely low price to get Platinum!!

I got a really cheap/good upgrade on our last cruise on Breeze - so maybe just maybe!!!! I am going to be happy even if they don't call though!!!:D

Last year we initially booked a french door room on the legend. A couple weeks before sailing we upgraded to a balcony gty for around $100.

We were assigned an EXTENDED balcony (twice the size of a normal one). Great room, although it was a little more forward than I preferred!

lets see...out of 17 cruises, which 16 have been on carnival? NEVER lol.

which is why when I read JH blog and people say they are angry that they have sailed carnival 5 times and never been upgraded its not fair!! lol.

people come on here and say they are "upgraded" when in reality they do an upsell. it confuses people, and those upset bitter people don't understand the difference and go and complain

In 22 cruises, I've been upgraded twice (my first cruise from an Oceanview to an Obstructed Balcony, and on #19 from Inside to Suite). I've also received two 'upsale' calls and said yes to one. I'm always happy just to be on the ship, so any cabin is alright for me.:D

Never for free, but have gotten 2 upgrades so cheap they might have well have been.

- On the Legend, booked an OV on Riviera deck, got upsold to an extended balcony on Panorama deck for $20 per cabin (2 cabins)

- On the Glory, booked a balcony on Upper deck (under the disco, ugh) got upsold to a balcony on the Lido deck all the way forward for $40 for the cabin. Well worth it just because we could see the bridge officers pretty well when they stepped out onto the port-side of the fly bridge and that was some nice eye candy! ;)

Archived