These shoes were made for walking....

buggins0402

Anyone have some recommendations for a good shoe, that will handle cobblestones of Europe, over many miles? Will be worn with jeans. Trip will be in November...so could get cool and wet (Seville and Madrid). Aiming for brown.

Also, need a black dressier flat that has enough support to perhaps walk comfortably some distance to dinner.

I'm not much of a shopper or fashionista, but want to look nice and be comfortable.

Are you looking for a sandal or a walking/sneaker type shoe? O just recently found some very sturdy closed toe sandals that are more all purpose and good for walking. Keen rose (I got them in leather).

No, more of a dressier brown comfortable walking shoe. There are some Sketchers casuals that seem like they would be nice...but, I have absolutely no experience with their casual products..only one pair of sneakers that do the trick for running errands around the neighborhood. I do have one pair of closed toe sandals...they are Mephistos (10 years old and still going strong) so that's the comfort level I'm looking for.

Edited by buggins0402

Mephistos are hard to beat, so if you already know they are comfortable for you, I'd start there for the walking shoes. They have many styles.

Alternatively you might look at the ABEO line, carried (I think) only by The Walking Company. They are very comfortable and well-designed shoes for walking and I have a pair I've used heavily on European trips with a lot of walking on cobblestone. These, for example look like what you might want?

https://www.thewalkingcompany.com/abeo-24-7-adele-espresso/42607

(I'm making the assumption you don't want lace-ups, but possibly you do....)

As for the dressier but comfortable black shoes. I'd look at Clark's, maybe their Candra line? There are several different styles that have just a bit of a heel (which I find more comfortable than a straight-on flat) and a very comfortable sole. I have two different styles: Candra Gleam and Candra Glow. Oddly, they fit very differently (I need different sizes in each despite being the same line) but are both comfortable!

Edited by cruisemom42

Mephistos are hard to beat, so if you already know they are comfortable for you, I'd start there for the walking shoes. They have many styles.

Alternatively you might look at the ABEO line, carried (I think) only by The Walking Company. They are very comfortable and well-designed shoes for walking and I have a pair I've used heavily on European trips with a lot of walking on cobblestone. These, for example look like what you might want?

https://www.thewalkingcompany.com/abeo-24-7-adele-espresso/42607

(I'm making the assumption you don't want lace-ups, but possibly you do....)

As for the dressier but comfortable black shoes. I'd look at Clark's, maybe their Candra line? There are several different styles that have just a bit of a heel (which I find more comfortable than a straight-on flat) and a very comfortable sole. I have two different styles: Candra Gleam and Candra Glow. Oddly, they fit very differently (I need different sizes in each despite being the same line) but are both comfortable!

Two winners Cruisemom. The Abeo shoe is just what I had in mind and love the Candra Glow!

And, thanks all for the heads up on Keens...there are some nice looking paddock type boots in their line that will be on my Xmas list for DH for wearing around here in the winter.

I love Keens boots but the sandals don't work on me (and I have to size up a half size in the boots- they can be quite short - I haven't had this problem on other brands) My favorite fall/winter travel boots are knee high Keens! But no zipper, super soft leather - very easy to pack - with a thick supportive sole for all those cobbles, esp wet cobbles! I have two pairs (actually, the brown are insulated and waterproof and they have a zipper- not as easy to pack:rolleyes:) and bought both pairs on sale at Sierra Trading Post. I have some Haglofs goretex walking shoes I bought there too, and so does my husband - we use those for casual/daytime walking in wet/cold travel (eg our Christmas Markets river cruise last December :p)

Ecco fit me well, usually. Mephisto, Geox, Clarks, Munro - those brands don't fit. All are marketed as "comfort" brands - and to millions, they are. But they all fit feet differently, so make sure you try lots of pairs on and then break them in well. REALLY REALLY well before your trip.

Two winners Cruisemom. The Abeo shoe is just what I had in mind and love the Candra Glow!

And, thanks all for the heads up on Keens...there are some nice looking paddock type boots in their line that will be on my Xmas list for DH for wearing around here in the winter.

Great, hope they are a starting point anyway. The Walking Company has stores all over -- definitely best to try on "in store" as the ABEO model I have required purchasing a full size larger than I normally wear. And as the poster above says (and I'm sure you know), break them in well.

Ecco fit me well, usually. Mephisto, Geox, Clarks, Munro - those brands don't fit. All are marketed as "comfort" brands - and to millions, they are. But they all fit feet differently, so make sure you try lots of pairs on and then break them in well. REALLY REALLY well before your trip.

LOL, we must have opposite foot types. Ecco shoes don't work for me but Clarks, Mephisto, Munro generally do. (Haven't tired Geox.)

Some Keens work but not others....

I'm a Jambu girl. They are always my first choice if I'm looking for a pair of shoes for travel. Lots of flats and some heels. I actually took a chance on their new San Fran shoe for a shoe to go with my pants at work. I usually can't wear heels due to an issue with a post-accident-and-surgery left ankle. With the forefoot platform taking down some of the height issue with the heel, I can actually wear them for 8 hours! And, they were comfy right out of the box. I have the brown ones and just ordered the black ones so I can wear them with whichever work outfit I must wear. They always have good tractions soles on the Jambu shoes and boots that I've had in the past. The ones I still use for travel (and did use them this spring as my ONLY non-boot shoe for my Rome and Florence vacation) are an old one with a similar footprint as current Blossom. They are good with both pants and dresses, so I don't have to fret over which shoes to pack for which outfits.

Whatever you go with, make sure that the soles are thick enough for walking on cobblestone. I learned the hard way with the shoes I wore for a trip to Israel many years ago that too thin soles on cobblestone can be VERY uncomfortable!

We travel to Europe frequently and my shoe choice depends on the season.

For winter, I wear boots that are waterproof and supportive. My favorites are my Sorel Tivoli's and my Merrell Yara's. For fall, I wear my knee high Geox patent and quilted fabric boots, also waterproof.

In summer I love my Taos walking sandals and my Jambu's. Both are supportive, comfy and make my feet happy. We average 8-10 miles a day of walking when in Europe.

For spring trips, I have Cole Haan walking shoes and also a pair of Ecoo's. They are sleek, athletic type design but not bulky and with good support as well as style.

Always pack two pair so you can switch them out. Your feet will thank you.

My recommendation for flats: Tieks. They're expensive, but so worth it. I wear mine probably 5 days a week, and they're the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn. My black ones will absolutely be coming with me on my cruise. :)

I too love, love, love my Tieks! I have a rainbow of Tieks in my closet! They are super comfortable (for a ballet flat) and I highly recommend them as a "go to" shoe for day-to-day normal wear. However, that said, I ended up NOT wearing them for any of my European excursions over the years! Those cobblestone walkways can be brutal after hours and hours of walking for long and exhausting days. The Tieks are fantastic on the ship or for typical traipsing around shops near the ship, but not so much for heavy touring in Europe!

The group definitely has me thinking whether to bring some comfy light weight boots. We'll be spending most of our allotted time in Andalucía...which could see 70's (or low 60's and rain), but Madrid (4 nights) will most likely be chilly.

We frequently end up in Europe in November (it's a good month for a vacation), but we've been fortunate weather wise. This is also not a cruise, so we'll be out in the elements the whole two weeks.

I'm trying to travel light since this trip will involve more than a few train rides and 6 hotels.

I love boots in Europe in November but I've not been as far south as Spain at that time of year which is why I avoided a direct recommendation. I run hot, so I am not one who runs around in ankle boots in August - it has to be 60 or lower consistently before I'm comfortable in boots (or socks, for that matter :p)

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for KEEN's I had a 10-day trip to Puerto Rico Last fall (October of 14) and walked all over old San Juan (cobblestone) hiked in the rain forest, and also through the desert area on the western portion of the island. (I also used KEEN water shoes for beach and ocean excursions. They performed perfectly in my experience.

They offer quite stylish casual shoes as well as hikers, water shoes, boots, snow gear. Really all quite awesome.

The Keen Rose in leather comes in both brown and black. I wear the black pair all summer for work. I feel they are dressy enough and very sturdy for my arthritic feet. SO happy Keen came out with them.

I wear the regular Keen sandals (Venice or Newport) all summer for everywhere else. I have them in about 8 different colors. Happy feet!