CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

I input the route into my Waze app yesterday and it's telling me to et off 15E. I checked again this morning and again it's telling me to get off 15 E. We have never gotten off this exit in the 11 times we driven to the port. So now I don't know what to do and have 3 weeks to figure it out.

I wouldn't take exit 15E unless the turnpike extension is reported to be in total gridlock. Basically it's the route 9 truck bypass route and could be local street gridlock if the Pulaski Skyway is closed.

I'm going to do the west side of Manhattan/holland Tunnel route in June when I drive down for the Liberty. We used to live in Jersey City and I revisited the area last fall, so I know I can get to Bayonne on local streets from the Holland Tunnel if necessary.

Not a silly question, but.... Written directions are better because the GPS doesn't always send you the right way. Where are you coming from? These directions work unless you are coming from Staten Island.

To answer your question:

Cape Liberty Cruise Port

14 Port Terminal Boulevard

Bayonne NJ 07002-5038

Phone: 201-823-3737

Fax: 201-823-3878

Directions from NJ Turnpike Exit 14A into Cape Liberty

The ramp is straight across the toll plaza. Here's a video. No real street signs.

Please print out my directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. When you come through the toll plaza there are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is notoriously bad in this area.

After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive.

Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

Hi 138east!

Since your thread is the "go-to" thread for all things Bayonne, I thought I'd pass on some info from our disembarkation yesterday, May 3, 2015, when Summit returned to Bayonne for the summer.

We wanted a shared shuttle van to EWR and approached the dispatcher. She quoted us $28.50 per person for an 8-person van, not $16 as has been reported here, even recently.

I don't know if our experience was a "one off" or maybe with the added construction, they have had to raise their price because the drivers can't make it back to the port for multiple trips. Everyone in our van was quoted the same price.

I will be interested to hear what the summer Summit passengers have to report, if their experience is the same.

Hi 138east!

Since your thread is the "go-to" thread for all things Bayonne, I thought I'd pass on some info from our disembarkation yesterday, May 3, 2015, when Summit returned to Bayonne for the summer.

We wanted a shared shuttle van to EWR and approached the dispatcher. She quoted us $28.50 per person for an 8-person van, not $16 as has been reported here, even recently.

I don't know if our experience was a "one off" or maybe with the added construction, they have had to raise their price because the drivers can't make it back to the port for multiple trips. Everyone in our van was quoted the same price.

I will be interested to hear what the summer Summit passengers have to report, if their experience is the same.

Hey BlueFlame: I was on the Summit with you. Three of us were quoted $95 for a very old van ride to EWR. It was a really old van too.

Disembarkation in Bayonne was disgraceful. It all started with an agent who continually tried to send people back to the ship. This created a little drama and a lot of chaos. Once in the terminal, the comedy of errors continued. Porters did not follow the usual rule of taking the first person in line who was waiting to use their services. Disgraceful. The Celebrity agents in the luggage area were basically useless too.

Needless to say, I won't be sailing in or out of Bayonne ever again. Those folks are clueless....

Needless to say, I won't be sailing in or out of Bayonne ever again. Those folks are clueless....

We've done 11 cruises out of Bayonne (RCL and Celebrity) and only had problems once when we sailed Celebrity Silhouette. Other than that it's been fine. Off the ship through customs to our car and out of the port in 30 minutes.

Sorry to hear you had problems.

Hi 138east!

I'm stunned! I don't even know what to say. I don't sail until mid June, so I can't check it out until then. Now I know why I drive to the port or take public transit and a cab, but I can't even imagine what they might charge now to go the two miles from the terminal to the light rail station.

I thought I saw somewhere that taxi's in NJ charged a sur charge to use a credit card. Is this right or am I confusing it with some other city? If yes, how much is it, a %age or flat fee?

Thanks

Not that I know of but do NOT use a CC....I don't trust the cabbies..

Have cash please....I also think that many of them will not want to take cards...or will say that their machine is broken....

...Porters did not follow the usual rule of taking the first person in line who was waiting to use their services....
We only sailed out of Bayonne once, before the new terminal was built. As we were walking to our luggage many porters asked us if we needed help. After considering our needs, we said yes to one of them.

Was there a line? We hate to think we jumped in front of other passengers. We did have my father, who was in a wheelchair, with us. We were able to disembark early since we needed assistance from Royal.

Ultimately it's a personal choice. I'm picky about where I ditch my car in the Newark, Bayonne, Jersey City area so I have not used them.

The main concern is the lack of insurance for the shuttle transportation. Please read post 37 on this older thread - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1579572&page=2. Many folks are willing to overlook this in order to save money.

With the new terminal at Cape Liberty is the tented baggage drop off area that I have read about in posts and seen on youtube still being used? Just wondering if baggage drop off will be different. Haven't been able to find any really good video or pictures of the new terminal and its baggage drop off, so any info is appreciated.

Hi everyone. I had to change my plans as I didn't realize it would be so expensive to stay in NYC! So, I'm now planning to stay near the Bayonne cruise port but with easy transport to NYC. Which area should I stay in that will have easy access to transportation into NYC? how long will the trip take? will it be safe coming come in the evening? I like to have a place with a kitchenette. I'll be flying to/from EWR before and after the cruise. Thanks all.

Hi everyone. I had to change my plans as I didn't realize it would be so expensive to stay in NYC! So, I'm now planning to stay near the Bayonne cruise port but with easy transport to NYC. Which area should I stay in that will have easy access to transportation into NYC? how long will the trip take? will it be safe coming come in the evening? I like to have a place with a kitchenette. I'll be flying to/from EWR before and after the cruise. Thanks all.

Try the Residence Inn EWR/Elizabeth...designed for long term stays...it's in one of the 'nicer' areas of the airport area.....and it's safe...you will be riding the hotel shuttle to and from the airport..

Alternately there is bus service from the airport as well......I would allow an hour each way......

You can take NJ Transit from the airport rail station into NYC....

http://www.njtransit.com

http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

The hotel will even buy groceries for you (mon-friday at least...) There is no grocery store that is walkable however, you can get a cab to one, or possibly ask the hotel shuttle to take you (though this may NOT happen)

Edited by megr1125

What are your exact dates?

Check out Candlewood Suites in Jersey City. Close to PATH for a $2.75 ride into midtown or downtown NY.

Getting to this hotel will cost you a taxi or car service ride from the airport for about $55. However, there is a light rail station in front of Candlewood where you can get a train to 34th St in Bayonne for $2.10/pp where you call a cab for about $10-12 to go into the port. The light rail is surface transportation that is totally accessible with rolling luggage. Station stops on the street have easy ramp access and the platform is level with the train.

Thanks everyone for your input.

138east (Carol) - I looked up your recommendation for Candlewood Suites Jersey City on TripAdvisor and it is exactly what I'm looking for (room with kitchen, close to PATH train into NYC, close to restaurants and shopping) so I booked it. Questions: (1) can you buy a train pass for several days instead of paying each time you get on? (2) we have a total of 5 pieces of luggage, can we still wheel it on the PATH train to get close to the cruise port? (3) if not, what other options besides a taxi to the cruise port? are there shuttles?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks everyone for your input.

138east (Carol) - I looked up your recommendation for Candlewood Suites Jersey City on TripAdvisor and it is exactly what I'm looking for (room with kitchen, close to PATH train into NYC, close to restaurants and shopping) so I booked it. Questions: (1) can you buy a train pass for several days instead of paying each time you get on? (2) we have a total of 5 pieces of luggage, can we still wheel it on the PATH train to get close to the cruise port? (3) if not, what other options besides a taxi to the cruise port? are there shuttles?

Thanks for your help.

What exact dates would you be staying at Candlewood? I'm asking because PATH has a different schedule on the weekends that is important to know about.

1). No train pass for PATH and the light rail

2). You need to familiarize yourself with the PATH, Hudson-Bergen light rail, and the NY subway maps.

PATH - http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

Light rail - http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

NY Subway - http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

The light rail is 100% self service. You just buy a ticket from the machine and validate it. No ticket booth. No turnstiles. Very open and easy and runs on the street level.

PATH and the subway are very similar. They have real stations with turnstiles and the trains run primarily underground.

Tip - the subway stations in downtown Manhattan are very close together. If you are going to have to use PATH and the subway to go somewhere, it is often faster to go to World Trade Center on PATH and get the exact subway you need in downtown Manhattan.

The light rail goes to the port. It is very empty towards Bayonne after 9:30 am. No problem with the luggage. I did it in Jan from Exchange Place to Bayonne with two rolling pieces of luggage. I thought it was an easy fun ride - about 20 min from that area of Jersey City.

Car service or taxi would be your only other option to Cape Liberty. Almost no hotels offer any kind of shuttle to the pier - there is only one hotel we recommend at the airport with a shuttle.

When you get to Bayonne you have to call a cab to pick you up at the light rail station. With 5 pieces of luggage ask them if they can pick you up on Ave E behind the station instead of in the main parking area unless it's raining. You can walk right out to Ave E, but to get to the parking lot you have to take an elevator up, walk over the tracks, and take and elevator down with all your stuff.

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Carol - thanks for all the tips and the links to PATH and light rail. I will have to go over them carefully. The plan is to commute into Manhattan every day instead of staying there. I guess I can buy a week pass for the New York subway. I will be staying over a weekend. I've booked Candlewood for April 12 to 17, 2016. Thanks again.

Sounds like a plan.

There is a Shop Rite Supermarket about 4 blocks from the hotel.

What you need to know about Path is that they only run 2 routes on Sat and Sun - Newark to World Trade and Journal Square to 33rd St via Hoboken. This covers all the stations, but you cannot go directly from Exchange Place to Newport to transfer to the 33rd St train like you can on a weekday. You have to go to Grove St to make this transfer.

Hey everyone! Party of two, sailling for the first time in june and i have a few questions about the hotel the night before departure.

We are coming from canada by amtrak and booked to stop at the Newark airport train station. We booked the Best Western Plus Airport Hotel because we thought there was a shuttle from there to the pier (it says so on their website) but when i called to make sure that we didn't need to reserve for the shuttle and the main desk guy told me they didn't have such shuttle. Anyone can help me here?

Also i've read that this hotel is lost on it's own, i might need to stop by a few stores before heading to the pier. Do you guys advise me to change hotel? We are looking for a cheap night, just a bed with clean sheets to sleep in.