Hotel in Venice

Meena

Thinking of staying a few days pre cruise in Venice. Last hotel we stayed at in Venice was the Ca'Gottardi. While the location was very convenient, there were some issues with the hotel. Can anyone please recommend other options which are close to the sights (walking is no problem). Thank you everyone.

A search on the board will find several threads with hotel reservations.

Much of the main part of Venice is very walkable to the sights. We stayed at the Hilton Molino Stucky. Nice hotel, only one in Venice with a pool. But it is on Guideca, so a hotel shuttle boat away from the main sights. Still pretty easy to get to and use for Venice.

We stayed at the Santa Chiara. The hotel is located at Piazzale Roma, the place where the airport bus stops. This hotel was charming old world, great breakfast, right on the canal. We were so lucky to have a room that opened to the waterway and we enjoyed just watching from our window. By using this hotel we didn't have to drag luggage over bridges. Supermarket near and the vaporetto stop very close. We purchased a multi day vaporetto pass and access to everything so easy.

We stayed at the Hotel La Fenice on our Rick Steves tour. It's not fancy, a small local hotel right next to the opera house, but we really enjoyed it and would stay there again. It's about a five minute walk to St. Mark's.

We stayed in Mestre (short bus ride away) at Hotel Tritone. It was a nice spacious room, huge balcony, and one of the best hotel breakfast selections I have ever had. We found it very convenient because we were arriving and departing by train and the station was right across the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

It depend your budget... and if you really want to stay in Venice downtown, 'cause it's a 30% more expensive than staying on mainland.

Mestre would be a great chance, especially if you will house at the Plaza hotel in front the train station... from there you can catch a bus or train every 7/8 minutes... really comfortable and cheap.

If instead you prefer housing in Venice, you can avoid to spend lot of money for the water taxi staying in one of the hotel located in piazzale Roma, as Arlecchino, Santa Chiara, Olimpia, Papadopoli...

I'm staying right now in Venice at the Olimpia, clean, nice, affordable and by water bus with a few euro I can get to St Mark in 15 min.

We got to Venice 2 days ago and with just 50 euro , it's about 55 $, a car rental limo service which I can recommend, took us to piazzale Roma and in 2 min we got to the hotel... really simple and convenient

If you need the tranfer from the airport or train station, for your convenience, refer to Venicegroupservices we found on tripadvisor, reliable and affordable company... ask for Domnik the owner you can see on the homepage...

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Last August we stayed at Locanda Orseolo for three days and I would highly recommend it.

The small hotel is on a canal with a door opening from the front room right onto the canal. We took a water taxi from the airport to the door of the hotel - it was a wonderfully convenient and romantic way to arrive, especially after a long flight from Seattle.

The staff at the hotel were very welcoming. They knew our name after our first introduction and always asked us how our day was and if they could be of service in any way. We really enjoyed the personal touch and felt at home. Our room overlooked the canal, but was not noisy because it was a small side canal.

The breakfast (included in the price) was amazing! Cooked to order hot food, espresso, and fresh fruit and pastries. Everything you could want to start your day.

The hotel was located in a small courtyard only a 5 minute walk from San Marco square. We purchased 48-hour vaporetto passes and just walked to and from the hotel to the San Marco vaporetto stops. It was nice seeing San Marco square quiet in the late evening and early mornings when we would go walking from the hotel.

Just thinking of the hotel makes me want to return! It is small and popular, so book early.

Last August we stayed at Locanda Orseolo for three days and I would highly recommend it.

The small hotel is on a canal with a door opening from the front room right onto the canal. We took a water taxi from the airport to the door of the hotel - it was a wonderfully convenient and romantic way to arrive, especially after a long flight from Seattle.

The staff at the hotel were very welcoming. They knew our name after our first introduction and always asked us how our day was and if they could be of service in any way. We really enjoyed the personal touch and felt at home. Our room overlooked the canal, but was not noisy because it was a small side canal.

The breakfast (included in the price) was amazing! Cooked to order hot food, espresso, and fresh fruit and pastries. Everything you could want to start your day.

The hotel was located in a small courtyard only a 5 minute walk from San Marco square. We purchased 48-hour vaporetto passes and just walked to and from the hotel to the San Marco vaporetto stops. It was nice seeing San Marco square quiet in the late evening and early mornings when we would go walking from the hotel.

Just thinking of the hotel makes me want to return! It is small and popular, so book early.

So good to hear that you liked this hotel. We will be staying there for 2 nights in May. We also want to take a water taxi from the train. Did the water taxi know how to get to the water entrance to the hotel?

Considering same thing for an upcoming cruise. Very helpful tips, thanks!

How many days are reasonable to see Venice? I know "it depends how much you want to see", but just general thoughts on a good pre-cruise visit? Thanks!

There's another good thread on the next page called VENICE HOTELS.

How much time to spend depends on your mobility, interests, budget and if you're coming back again.:)

My first trip was 2 nites/ 3 days (which included travel to/from London). We had an apt halfway between Rialto and St Marks.

The first day we rode a water bus down the Canal and enjoyed the amazing views. We walked to St Marks then wandered around the area and the waterfront until dark. The 2nd day we did a Doges tour, explored various neighborhoods for several hrs, then went to the Lido for a bit and had dinner. 3rd day we went to the Rialto Market, then took a water bus back to Piazzale Roma, then the ATVO bus to the airport.

It was a good first visit. Trips since then always include wandering around neighborhoods, water bus up/down the Canal, and another island.

I have booked the Hotel Becher.. we are a year away from our cruise and the hotel is nearly full. We booked the last 2 superior rooms direct with the hotel, at a discounted rate. Wanted a hotel with private dock for a water taxi as we do not want to drag our bags thru the streets, and a great location. Have been to Venice many years ago and it's one of our favorite cities.

Ha! We are returning. We were there in 2010 before the start of our first Med cruise. We will be there in two months. We did not take the direct water taxi last time, but will this time.

The only thing I would add is to pay extra for a room over the canal. Worth every penny seeing the gondolas going right past your window. The entire stay is a wonderful experience and reasonably priced.

After reading this wonderful review (and doing some additional searching here on CC and seeing the fantastic reviews this hotel gets) we've booked this hotel for our upcoming two-night stay after our Med cruise. I was hoping you might be able to answer a couple questions:

We'll be taking the train up from Rome, so I'm planning on grabbing a water taxi from the train station to the hotel. Do you remember roughly what it cost you to take the water taxi from the airport to the hotel?

I'd hoped to only spend the money on a water taxi on the trip to the hotel, so do you know the best way to get from the hotel to the airport the day we leave? How close is the nearest stop for the airport waterbus?

Finally, did you have any favorite restaurants near the hotel you can recommend?

Cheers!

I must say, I am experiencing some real sticker shock at the prices of hotels in, or even around Venice.

One way or another, we will get there, and make sure we have some time to see a bit of Venice the day before our cruise...but the pricing I am seeing is just.....

WOW!

PaulInPGH,

You will just love the hotel! To answer your questions, the water taxi from the airport to the hotel door was €110. It was dear, but what a wonderful way to arrive! For the trip from the hotel to the ship, we took the Alilaguna from San Marco square (it has a separate dock area from the vaporettos). It took us directly to the port, so we did not need to use the PeopleMover. I know the Alilaguna also goes to the airport.

As for restaurants, we were so tired by dinner time that we asked the hotel for recommendations of nearby, not too fussy restaurants. We wanted a nice atmosphere and good food, but not a fine dining experience. They sent us to VinoVino, a very charming restaurant next to the Opera House. It was about a 10 minute walk and we enjoyed the setting, the food and the service. And we weren't there for hours. The hotel had lots of other restaurant suggestions, but they were great at providing us with what we asked for. I am sure they will find something that meets your needs.

Have a wonderful trip. We love Venice and wish we had spent more time there, but the ship was calling!

PaulInPGH,

You will just love the hotel! To answer your questions, the water taxi from the airport to the hotel door was €110. It was dear, but what a wonderful way to arrive! For the trip from the hotel to the ship, we took the Alilaguna from San Marco square (it has a separate dock area from the vaporettos). It took us directly to the port, so we did not need to use the PeopleMover. I know the Alilaguna also goes to the airport.

As for restaurants, we were so tired by dinner time that we asked the hotel for recommendations of nearby, not too fussy restaurants. We wanted a nice atmosphere and good food, but not a fine dining experience. They sent us to VinoVino, a very charming restaurant next to the Opera House. It was about a 10 minute walk and we enjoyed the setting, the food and the service. And we weren't there for hours. The hotel had lots of other restaurant suggestions, but they were great at providing us with what we asked for. I am sure they will find something that meets your needs.

Have a wonderful trip. We love Venice and wish we had spent more time there, but the ship was calling!

I booked airport to locanda orseolo for 99 euros.

Someone commented on price of hotels in Venice. I'll say this about Locanda Orseolo. I pay extra there for rooms overlooking the canals (two canals intersect) because the view is like nowhere else you get in the world. Venice is one place I will pay extra for the hotel. Locanda Orseolo also includes an incredible brunch. I take 40 to 50 right off the price because that's what it's worth for two.

PaulInPGH,

Thanks so much! I'm looking forward to our two-week treck through Europe, but I'm extra excited for this experience.

Cheers.

PaulInPGH,

Hi, just looking at hotels for our pre cruise stay and wondering how easy it is to get a water taxi from the hotel to the cruise terminal. We did this once before and it was an amazing experience. Just checking that a water taxi is the small private boat and not the main ones that everyone uses. If that makes sense. Thanks

I booked airport to locanda orseolo for 99 euros.

Someone commented on price of hotels in Venice. I'll say this about Locanda Orseolo. I pay extra there for rooms overlooking the canals (two canals intersect) because the view is like nowhere else you get in the world. Venice is one place I will pay extra for the hotel. Locanda Orseolo also includes an incredible brunch. I take 40 to 50 right off the price because that's what it's worth for two.

Hi, looks fabulous. Just wondering what the best way to book is for the best deal - on line or contact them by e-mail.

Thanks

Thinking of staying a few days pre cruise in Venice. Last hotel we stayed at in Venice was the Ca'Gottardi. While the location was very convenient, there were some issues with the hotel. Can anyone please recommend other options which are close to the sights (walking is no problem). Thank you everyone.

I just got back from an 11 day Med cruise with an overnight afterwards in Venice. We stayed at the Papadopoli Hotel, and it was FABULOUS!! The cost was $228 for the night, split between my friend and I, plus a wonderful full buffet breakfast included in the price.

This is a 5-star hotel with super comfy beds, gorgeous furnishings, bathroom with bidet and scented toilet paper (every used that?).

The hotel is within walking distance of the cruise dock. Walk out the door, make a sharp right, walk past the small park, and across the foot bridge. We had small roller suitcases, but you could do it with larger ones. The bridge has a side track for pulling suitcases. Then across Piazzale Roma is the people mover. Take it for 1.5Euro each, and get off at the dock. There are two stops, but you can literally see the ships (think the trams at aiports to take you to another terminal). Off, and a 3 minute walk to your ship.

Googlemap it, and you'll see.

We got off the ship and were at the hotel in about 8 minutes.