How to not gain weight on a cruise without limiting food intake?

carnivalcroccodile529

Lol...the best laid plans of mice and men....

You have to take in FEWER calories than you expend...that's the ONLY way.

You need to realize that you only need to eat WHAT YOU NEED...not what you want.

The food on the ships nowadays isn't that great, anyway!

Edited by cb at sea

DARN IT!!! A sensible answer. :)

EDIT: Hit the post button too quickly

When I saw the question, I was hoping to read a tip on how you can at least minimize the weight gain.

Maybe like.... only eat healthy breakfast, no lunch and a nice dinner. Or, have a couple of vegetarian days.

I know I need help too. Going on a 19 day cruise in April.

Edited by retiredkid

To me, the food is about on par with a mid-level wedding reception. I eat as I do at home; I don't eat beef and don't like seafood so I eat a lot of white chicken, veggies, salads with a teaspoon of dressing, if any, little or no bread and rarely, any dessert. I don't drink high-sugar soft drinks but stick with ice water.

I never use elevators and power walk on deck nearly every day.

If your diet is mostly plant-based and lean protein, you can indulge a bit and still maintain a healthful weight if you exercise regularly. I'll have a couple of margaritas on a 10-day cruise but no more. I also take raw, unsalted organic nuts with me and eat an ounce of those if I am hungry so as to avoid the fats and sugar in desserts, although I will occasionally have a coconut cookie or something without chocolate which I don't like.

For me eating things that I don't eat at home is part of the fun of cruising. French toast instead of my usual oatmeal and fruit. Bread and dessert with dinner. I drink mostly just water because I with rather eat not drink my calories. I can only guess the amount of calories consumed with the booze package. I don't eat late at night or between meals but I eat what I want at meals. Trying new foods makes it interesting. I eat so much grilled chicken and veggies at home it's nice to have a break from it. I always gain a few pounds of water weight but it's gone within a week of normal eating. Your exercise plan sounds perfect. I enjoy the tredmill while looking out at the sea. Even though I live in a three level house the amount of stairs I do on a cruise ship is probably equivalent to an hour a day on the stair master. Enjoy your cruise!

I am a big foodie person, but I am also a very competitive athlete and need to keep my weight under control. How have you guys stopped yourselves from gaining a ton of weight on a cruise? I was planning on exercising an hour and a half a day, plus drinking a bottle of water right before every meal

Excellent food in reasonable portions with great variety? Oceania

Maybe like.... only eat healthy breakfast, no lunch and a nice dinner. Or, have a couple of vegetarian days. I know I need help too. Going on a 19 day cruise in April.

No, please don't do that. Skipping meals is not a good or effective weight loss plan, nor is it healthy for you in any way. You will only be more hungry at dinner and may make poor choices because you are starving and have deprived yourself.

A vegetarian day sounds like it may be a good idea to some, but again, I don't agree with it. The thing is, to lose weight - or to not gain weight - one needs to adjust their thinking and make a lifestyle choice. For myself, when I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, I made lifestyle changes and ended up losing almost 50 pounds. I really didn't feel deprived at any time because I felt satisfied - this is where protein comes in. Protein helps curb hunger, makes you satisfied, and the right protein is good for you. MOST OF ALL, protein is low carb. This is how I lost all the weight, by adopting a low carbohydrate eating plan. You can ask your physician or a nutritionist for help, or research it online, but low carb (NOT no carb) is a good and healthy way to lose weight.

Fruit is loaded with carbs and natural sugars, so do be careful about that.

Most of all, enjoy your vacation :)

Intermittent fasting is actually quite healthy. We didn't evolve eating perfectly timed meals every day. Do some more current research, you'll be surprised. A lot of the "don't skip meals" stuff is food lobby propaganda.

(I got a broken appetite system fixed and lost 75lbs with IF and low carb, and I've kept it off well past the usual 5-year statistical failure rate. Also Google Dr. Fung.)

As to OP ... Shouldn't a professional athlete have a better idea than most people about how this stuff? Just wondering.

Edited by perditax

I've never gained weight on a cruise either (OTHER than water weight, and you have to just not worry about that - loads of people who cruise end up retaining water ?sodium in the water ?lots of salt in the cooking ?heat and humidity. I would recommend not weighing yourself until you've been back a week - anything left then probably *is* weight gain ;)

I don't deprive myself if I want something, but try to make reasonably healthy choices most of the time (eg plenty of veg and salad, not too many rolls at dinner). I do low-carb/high protein/high fat, so my idea of healthy might be different to people following a different plan, eg I try to only have a small amount of fruit, but am happy to have steak with rich buttery sauces. For me, I don't particularly enjoy the sweets/desserts on board - I find they look a lot better than they taste, and are often rather disappointing. I prefer cheese, and have as much of that as I want.

Also there's lots of opportunity to exercise, both formally in the gym and informally from the amount of stairs and corridors, especially in a big ship. I've never found it to be a problem (I'm not a big drinker though, so that probably helps).

I am a big foodie person, but I am also a very competitive athlete and need to keep my weight under control. How have you guys stopped yourselves from gaining a ton of weight on a cruise? I was planning on exercising an hour and a half a day, plus drinking a bottle of water right before every meal

The first two questions I have to ask you is, what type of athlete, and when is your next competition?

Depending on the answer to those two questions, you can modify your intake somewhat so that you can have your cake and eat it too - but in moderation - also managing which types, and the amounts of proteins, fats, sugars, etc. you can get away with having a little more of on your cruise.

I am literally doing a mud run the afternoon I disembark from my next cruise. I will try to stick with healthier options for breakfast (egg white omelets & grain sugarless cereals) and lunch (salads & lean proteins). Dinner is where I will "go off." I am on vacation, and also need to feed my culinary desires. Will I go way off, no, but in the MDR, I will order my entrees without thinking about the fat and cholesterol content. In the buffet, it would be much easier. You can pick and choose and use portion control on the items you want to try vs. getting the whole plate in the MDR.

However, I will be exercising every morning (possibly even trying to do an onboard mini-triathlon - 3.1 mile run, 11 mile (stationary) bike ride, then either try to do something in the pool (it is very short), or do some other type of exerciser (jumping jacks, jump rope (do they allow you to bring on your own), or some other type of aerobic exercise). The other days will be running while hitting the upper body on at least one of the days. Some people may look at this and say, "why exercise on a vacation"? To me, it is something I enjoy.

As to the comments about people looking at the food on a cruise as no better than a mid-level restaurant, I try not to listen. Having worked in a kitchen, and more recently cooking at charity events for over 150 people, I can honestly tell you how difficult it is to cook food for so this many people - I can only imagine the difficulties for cooking and prepping dishes for 2500 - 6000 people for three meals (or even for one). There is no time to use special cooking techniques for each dish and give each passenger a meal they would get at a 5 star restaurant. I have had some food on cruises that were very good and would rate with top restaurants, and some dishes that were horrid. Although I have cooked many dishes, there is always at least one dish that I have not had, or not had prepared in the way they serve it, and trying new things is a part of being a foodie.

I still disagree and as a diabetic, it can be dangerous to skip meals. Sorry, you won't sway me on this one so we'll have to disagree on it.

Skipping meals is not a healthy way of losing (or maintaining) weight - for diabetics or others as well.

Karen - On a more personal note - how are you feeling? I remember the last time I was on these boards for my last cruise about two years ago you were ill.

Edited by Travel R

Karen - On a more personal note - how are you feeling? I remember the last time I was on these boards for my last cruise about two years ago you were ill.

Thank you, you are so kind. I am doing well these days - I have been declared cancer-free, but with those words from my doctor, my journey isn't over yet. I am still really tired and dealing with residual effects of the surgeries, chemo, and radiation. BUT - I am alive to cruise another day, all glory to God. :)

Bless you for asking. What a memory you have! :D

Just remember - you don't have to eat everything on the plate. Sample each course then, if you have concerns about gaining weight, leave some on the plate.

Also choose sensibly where possible. Consommes and broths over creamy soups, dressing on the side for salads. Desserts can be a problem but, again, you donly have to eat a couple of spoonfuls.

I'm tempted to say avoid the buffet, it is so easy to eat far more than you want just because you want to try a little of everything that you like the look of.

However cruises are to be enjoyed, so don't let yourself feel deprived, enjoy the food and be prepared to work off that extra kilo or so after your cruise.

I'm tempted to say avoid the buffet...

Alternatively, I find the buffet is a good choice for me because I can take exactly what I want - plain chicken, fresh vegetables, abundant salads with dressing on the side, maybe just a little fruit - I think it works well for many cruisers. :)

Langley, I have also lost 13 kg/30 pounds on a low carb diet.

If I go on a cruise, it would be on the Carnival Miracle; Mexican Riviera. You have to spend more on food with low carb; so I have to go on a cruise I can drive to......

- Are the buffets on cruise lines like the buffets in Las Vegas? I should be able to find some vegetables and meat, right? Will there be bacon and eggs for breakfast? I should be able to find an omelette? On Carnival, this is called the Lido Deck?

No one is going to believe me. But when I go to Las Vegas, I usually manage to lose a couple of pounds/almost a kilo thanks to the hotel's gym and picking low carb items in the buffets.

- If I go to one of the formal nights or the regular restaurants, can I ask for double vegetables and no potatoes? Or does Carnival save money by making everything ahead of time and I can't ask for changes?

If you go to a port with Stand Up Paddleboarding, try that. I once lost 2 kg/5 pounds in a day with stand up paddleboarding and it will work your shoulders, too.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going on my first cruise in February and plan on eating whatever I want even if it does mean temporarily gaining a few pounds. I won't be preparing beef wellington or cheese souffles at home so if they are offered on board I'll be eating them there. Also plan on sipping a frosty virgin pinacolada (I don't drink alcohol). Not to mention having dessert every night. Yummy! Can't wait.

• 1 month later...
Excellent food in reasonable portions with great variety? Oceania

Outstanding quality, variety and in reasonable attractive portions...

The best quality variety I have ever seen on any ship...ever !!! Oceania will letyou explore taste and excellence

Other lines are line a floating Golden Corral ... THey serve bulk food high carb/sugar/fat things to fill you up cheap. The cheaper cruises focus you on pasta/pizza/burgers/deserts/ junk foods..... low protein which costs more.

There is no possible way to maintain weight or loose weight without control over what you eat... Its just not medically possible... but you see all these ads for special pills...eat what you want....no exercise !!! Ya right

Want to eat unrestricted... plan on working out 12 to18 hours a day in heavy cardio....

I avoid pastries, breads deserts... there is more calories in a Croissants with butter than 3 lobster tails !!!

• 2 weeks later...

I think just being wise in your food choices is a good starting point. Portion control. Excercise.

Indulging in a piece of cake at dinner, where at home you wouldnt, is not going to break the weight bank.

Now, if youre laying by the pool slobbering down double cheeseburgers and licking your ice cream cones 24/7...... its gonna catch up to you.

But having loaded pancakes instead of your typical fruit bowl at home...just friggin do it.

Even on a 7day cruise, your gain will not be so bad that it takes a year to lose it.

Arent you an athlete?

Some of this should be common sense.

• 2 weeks later...

We do a good job on our cruises and do not gain weight. I know it sounds crazy, but we limit our portions and still eat well. I am not the healthiest person either. My husband is, but I'm not.

We also get the all you can drink package and have a blast drinking.

So, what do we do. We wake up every morning and exercise. My husband and the boys run, I walk/jog. I don't like the wet mornings so it' more challenging when the deck is wet and you can only use half the deck. The last cruise we did have to run un and down stairs on opposite ends of the ship.

Since we get the all you can drink package we have a bottles of water available on a chair and we stop and drink as we make the rounds.

Then I drink my shakeology shake (this is my first time taking the shakes with me on a cruise). I feel like it's my way of ensuring 1 healthy meal during the cruise.

Then we eat lunch in the buffet normally. I get salads with some protein, and don't eat the fried foods daily (OK OK, I eat fries and a burger at least once or twice on a cruise). I don't normally hit up the pizza but the kids and my husband do. I like to do the pub lunch at least once as well, and the MDR too, but that's more difficult to coordinate with the kids, some how we find a way to all eat together in the buffet.

Dinner is the fun part. We do anytime dining, and eat early. That's helpful because we stay up late so we have time to walk around and walk off what we've eaten and what we continue to drink alcohol wise. The appetizer, salad, soup, main course, dessert, so many choices. I try to go with healthy choices, but I get what I want to eat. I don't usually get one of each, that would be too much food for me. I rarely eat dessert and if I want dessert I talk the kids into getting what I want and just have a bite, that's enough for me, or I get a dessert, take a bite an give it to them :) It works perfectly :) They never turn down dessert no matter how much they have eaten. If I want to try two main courses I don't get the appetizer, If I want two appetizers I don't get the soup, salad or pasta. I also ask for smaller portions if I'm getting the pasta (Princess usually has the same main course pasta as an appetizer). I never leave hungry and I don't eat until I'm full (it takes 30 minutes for your brain to figure out you are full? something like that).

I'm sure my calorie intake is high because of my drinking, but I'm drinking plenty of water, never use the elevators, and our cabin is always on a lower floor. I make healthy-ish choices when dining, don't overeat, and workout daily. It's fun