Are we going to get kicked off Carnival?

DKF97

I doubt they will ban you. I bet you do not hear anything else about it! You cooperated, accepted responsibility, signed the paperwork and paid the fee.

But on the outside chance that they do decide to stop you from cruising, I would think they would have to refund the cruise you have booked.

agreed and wow what a story.

Some people would sue the cruise line, claiming their luggage got wet because there was not a warning label on the sprinkler in three languages.

Instead, you set the example for your children and showed them what it means to take responsibility for your actions with honesty and integrity. You have taught them a valuable lesson and they will not only be more careful next time, they stand a pretty strong chance of growing into responsible adults if this is a typical response from you.

You are exactly the kind of parent that I would want on my ship if I were in charge.

Just got off the Dream yesterday and we had a great cruise, despite one incident which was our fault. My husband and I had a cove balcony and our boys 13 and 15 (well 16 today:-) had a 1A across the hall. On Friday afternoon we were heading up to lunch when my 13yr old realized he forgot his s&s card, he went back to get it and was going to meet us on Lido.

He had the top bunk and his card was on one of those belt clips with the retractable cord. Well apparently he thought it would be a great idea to hang it from the sprinkler head :eek: He couldn't get it off and in the process of trying, set it off! He immediately ran down the hall to a maintenance man and told him what he had done and the man called someone and the water shut off, but of course the damage was done and everything was SOAKED.

He came and got us, by the time we got down there they had a whole team working on it. It was loud and disturbed some guests trying to nap so we got a talking to by security, which I understand but it was weird because clearly we weren't going to let it happen again and there was nothing we could do about the noise. It took about an hour to get the water vacuumed up and the room cleaned out and they had blowers going in there for the rest of the cruise.

They had us sign a statement saying that it was an accident, nobody was injured, and we would be responsible for him. We weren't sure what to expect. I figured we would get a bill when we got home, but they called Sunday morning and said the cost for repairing the damages and inconveniencing other guests would be added to our account. It was surprisingly small and we had no problem paying of course.

Now i'm worried that we are going to get one of those letters saying we are no longer welcome to sail with Carnival. What do you think? We have our next cruise booked and paid for, just hubby and I, no kids this time. If we do get banned, they have to at least refund our cruise right? We can cancel right now with no fee, but only for the next day or 2. Really don't want to do that!

I would assume that those unwelcome to sail on Carnival would be placed on their version of the "naughty list" and matched against any current or future reservations. Any matches and you would be contacted or your TA and your reservations cancelled. I doubt Carnival would penalization you if Carnival is the one that cancels your reservation. Your situation was just an unfortunately accident - no harm was meant. But the only way to know 100% what your status is is to contact Carnival directly and inquired. Why chance it or worried about being denied boarding at the pier? You should contact Guest relations at Carnival and explain your concerns.

Wow... I commend you and your son for taking full responsibility. Great role model and your son deserves praise as well for getting the maintenance man!!

It was totally an accident and responsibility was taken.

POO-POO OCCURS! You certainly did the responsible thing, and I commend you for that. I doubt very seriously if Carnival will ever say another word about the incident.

If my folks had been billed for every stupid thing I did as a young man, they'd have been dead broke (like Hillary?) :eek: many, many years ago.

THANKS for posting.

"SKY"

Thanks for owning up to your responsibility's of being a parent ...Yes Kids are kids but I hear so many story's of kids running amuck and the parents don't claim to be responsible or in denial of the incident ...believe it or not this story is a bit of fresh air.

and I am sure Carnival will let you sail again just because you owned up and paid what they requested.

Thanks for all the kind remarks, I was a little worried we were going to get blasted for flooding a room and disturbing other guests and daring to want to cruise again, LOL!

Yes I would have LOVED to see his face and I'm sure he isn't going to live this down for a long time. His grandpa is already telling everyone he tried to sink the ship:-) He was very embarrassed and definitely learned his lesson.

I think the boy should be congratulated for owning his mistake right away and getting the maintenance man. A lot of kids would go about their way and try to blame this on the ship.

I was just thinking the same thing. He could have closed the door and walked away. It was just one of those things that happens and can't believe you see it happening, especially to you. Bravo young man for getting the maintenance man.

Bless all of your hearts. Reminds me of the time my five year old locked us out of the hotel bathroom necessitating a middle of the night room move (why hotel maintenance couldn't unlock the door is still a mystery) and then the next day, pulled the fire alarm in the hotel restaurant. It happens, FIDO, forget it and drive on. ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!

As a mother of three, I hope you made the 13-year-old pay the damages

As a mother of three, including a 12 yo and a 14 yo boy, I hope they didn't. Not that it's any of my business either way, but boys come up with the craziest ideas and it never even occurs to them that it might create a problem. He admitted it and sought immediate help, thereby taking responsibility. As there was no malicious intent, that is where it would end for us. Lesson learned.

OP, I hope your next cruise is a little more peaceful and calm.:)

Bless all of your hearts. Reminds me of the time my five year old locked us out of the hotel bathroom necessitating a middle of the night room move (why hotel maintenance couldn't unlock the door is still a mystery) and then the next day, pulled the fire alarm in the hotel restaurant. It happens, FIDO, forget it and drive on. ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!

Last year, when my DD was 2 1/2, she managed to lock us out of a hotel bathroom. Luckily she was not in it, but we needed the bathroom. We had been out to a wedding so it was about 10:30 at night. We were not exactly sure what to do, so we called the front desk, who sent maintenance and security. :eek: DH had managed to get the door opened with a paper clip or something by that time, but it was an embarrassing situation. Especially trying to explain it to my BIL and wife, who were in the room next door. I really wanted to crawl into a hole.

OP, it does not sound like they would ban you. Hopefully not. At least the whole family learned about sprinkler systems.

Edited by cruzinlisa

I was involved in the sprinkler business for 25 years and 15 of those years were on the service truck. You would be surprised to know that a lot of times when I would go into offices they would have Christmas or birthday decorations hanging from the sprinkler heads. I am talking about adults here. So we have to give her son a break and I know he has learned his lesson.

It was an accident, it wasn't malicious.

Kudos to your son for admitting it.

He must have been so freaked out when that happened. The look on his face would have been priceless! Poor kid! :eek:

Well, I bet he'll never do that again!

I think your family is fine for sailing Carnival in the future.

I totally agree with everyone. Your son did the right thing, you did the right thing, and I'm sure Carnival see much worse behavior on about every cruise.

Also, thanks for reminding me to have a talk with my 12 year old DD when we get on board - that's exactly the kind of thing can see her doing!

Edited by Izzybee

I just have to say what a wonderful parents you are to have taught your son to know what to do when something happens. Instead of running and hiding, he went and found someone who could help and didn't deny that he caused the incident. He stood up and took responsibility. Congratulations, Mom and Dad! You have a keeper! :)

All I want to say is Thank you for being responsible people and doing what is right. I see so many people these days trying to put the blame on others and not take responsiblity. You are being a great role model for your children. As for you child setting off the sprinkler, I consider it a learning experience of growing up. (I would have loved to have seen his face when the sprinkler went off).

So well put..you guys are great parents..they would certainly have banned you right then and there if upset or after not getting the fee which was fair. I thinks ships and ship cabins are more prepared for getting all wet or having fires and having to fix it as fast as possible..in a hotel or apt a lot more damage..

It is always a shock..how much we do not know and the worst time is adolescence which we would not survive without our safe overconfident bubbles..I am sure most businesses would be thrilled to have you guys back!!!

I think you're the kind of cruisers Carnival would welcome. You stood up, took responsibility, and probably your son will NEVER do that again!!!

No one was drunk, no one was loud and saying it's "not their fault."

Kudos to you for a good attitude and maturity!!! What a great example you must be to your children!!!

I doubt you would ever be banned -- your son, they have his name... when he cruises again, they may have a strike against him if he does this again... But I doubt it will ever be mentioned!!!

As long as it was an accident, I would not make the 13 year old pay. Maybe a $50 ding on his allowance, just so that he knows that every action has a reaction....

These charges could be hundreds of dollars. Seems harsh for a goofy kid who seemingly made an innocent mistake. It is the price of being a parent. And who knew you could set off a sprinkler that way?

And yeah, I call all 13-year old boys goofy. Our 14 and 16 year old boys were 13 once.

These charges could be hundreds of dollars. Seems harsh for a goofy kid who seemingly made an innocent mistake. It is the price of being a parent. And who knew you could set off a sprinkler that way?

And yeah, I call all 13-year old boys goofy. Our 14 and 16 year old boys were 13 once.

I so agree...and because they are reasonable and have good kids..who want to be good kids..they got rewarded and lovingly teased at home about doing the right thing and living to tell the story..like a mistake of childhood should be!!

Overly harsh causes kids to not tell at all costs and be more tricky or just exhausted worrying about all the options..and making mistakes they have to make to live...they may turn out to be overly curtailed in their lives...especially good kids.

My best one..putting a hot hair dryer down, leaving it on..not on it's stand..going to the bathroom at 9 in la la land...the old metal kind..nozzle facing into arm of couch. Dad at correspondence school on east coast..mom a few weeks from delivery of last sister. Couch was a smoldering hole but not flamimg just at area..ran to get neighbors to come and help get couch outside and hose in the hole..almost 55 now and when i remember it...OUCH.

The worry until dad got home handled any future such relaxed behavior times 10...

The loveseat couch..such a well made couch, has been recovered numerous times and is still in use today at a summer cabin,,,LOL..give this young man a hug!!

The 150 a small price in those family story costs..

Sarah

Edited by sjn911