Canada/New England Cruisers - Feedback Requested

Fish Lover

We are booked on board the Summit to Canada/New England next year. I'm looking for comments and reviews on excursions (both private and arranged through the ship) as well as local reviews of restaurants and places of interest. Has anyone been recently and can you share your experiences?

Thank you so much..in advance :)

Edited by Fish Lover

We have done this cruise 9 times. Just got off Summit 2 weeks ago.

We have stopped taking tours for the most part and do things on our own. Most (not all) of these ports there are a ton of things to do.

Definitely join the Roll Call for your cruise. Which one are you doing? We are thinking of 9/24 as it's going to Saguenay which we've never been to before.

There is a wonderful site call Tom's Port Guides. Which gives tons of detailed information on most of the ports visited.

http://www.tomsportguides.com/

We are booked on board the Summit to Canada/New England next year. I'm looking for comments and reviews on excursions (both private and arranged through the ship) as well as local reviews of restaurants and places of interest. Has anyone been recently and can you share your experiences?

Thank you so much..in advance :)

We are on this sailing now. Boarded yesterday, which went smoothly. Today is a sea day and tomorrow is Halifax. Will have more to report as the cruise progresses.

So far weather has been overcast but no rain.

We love cruising, enjoy Celebrity and are easy to please. But will update as we sail along.

We have done this cruise 9 times. Just got off Summit 2 weeks ago.

We have stopped taking tours for the most part and do things on our own. Most (not all) of these ports there are a ton of things to do.

Definitely join the Roll Call for your cruise. Which one are you doing? We are thinking of 9/24 as it's going to Saguenay which we've never been to before.

There is a wonderful site call Tom's Port Guides. Which gives tons of detailed information on most of the ports visited.

http://www.tomsportguides.com/

Not to be chauvinist, but Saguenay is wonderful. It's my home town and make sure if you like hiking to do the national park at the end of the Saguenay river. When I went to Alaska, made me home sick since it reminded me of home in a way....

You will find good information on the Canada/New England Ports of Call thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

I would also check in with your connections group to see what others are doing. It might also help if you let people know what you are interested in.

I used to live in Halifax and if you asked a friend and myself where to eat or what to do you'd get two totally different answers because our preferences/interests are different.

I did this cruise a few years ago. We did a nice tour to Perce Rock and Bonaventure island in the Gaspe. We also did a tour to Peggy's Cove and the cemetery where some of the Titanic victims are buried. I enjoyed both of them very much. If you want to visit old Quebec, you are better off doing your own walking tour. The Citedel is nice.

Just got off the Summit a couple of weeks ago. I am not a huge fan of cruise line excursions but the Evening at the Sugar Shack with dinner in Quebec City was excellent. The food was outstanding and ample and the entertainment was just that entertaining and informative. It appeared that all had a great time and I would most definitely consider doing this excursion again.

I just got off the Summit yesterday. In Halifax, the Maritime Museum, which is walkable from the ship, is wonderful. We spent the day there. Quebec is walkable on your own as is Boston. The Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Sydney is very good. We did the ship excursion there. A shared taxi would give you more time at the museum. We used a trolley at the pier to visit Acadia National Park. Portland has a new science museum near the port.

In Bar Harbor

https://olistrolley.com

We have done Oli's Trolley and Acadia National Park Tours:

http://www.acadiatours.com/reservations.html

Both are good but we preferred Acadia. We also did a private tour last year. I will see if I can find the name.

Not to be chauvinist, but Saguenay is wonderful. It's my home town and make sure if you like hiking to do the national park at the end of the Saguenay river. When I went to Alaska, made me home sick since it reminded me of home in a way....

We cruised down the Saguenay River once back in 2007 but did not dock in Saguenay. My DH has been dying to go back ever since.

We have done Oli's Trolley and Acadia National Park Tours:

http://www.acadiatours.com/reservations.html

Both are good but we preferred Acadia. We also did a private tour last year. I will see if I can find the name.

We cruised down the Saguenay River once back in 2007 but did not dock in Saguenay. My DH has been dying to go back ever since.

The Oli's Trolley is excellent, please sit on the left side of the trolley behind the driver for some outstanding photos opportunities (this is my opinion).

I used a company by the name of "Tours by Locals" and enjoyed it immensely. These are reasonably priced private tours by local residents who we found to be very enthusiastic and knowledgeable. Their website is a little confusing but the experience was worth figuring the whole thing out. You will have the guide's name and contact info and I found them to be very responsive. They use their own cars but can rent a larger van if a group gets together.

Too bad Anne Maria, we are booked on 9/10 next year.

Would be nice to travel together again but, oh well.

Will research those travel tips.

Pat

Pat nothing is set in stone yet, as we have not booked. But going to Saguenay and sailing down the river is very appealing. Although it most likely will be cold at that time of year.

Thank you so much everyone! We're booked next on the 9/10 sailing next year, so I have plenty of time to look into all your suggestions.

We really would like to do get good seafood while in port, and we enjoy shopping (local artists, crafts etc). Any specific suggestions for places would really be appreciated.

Has anyone done one of the lobster boat tours?

Please keep this thread going. I've checked the destinations board and its not as meaty as I was hoping.

Thank you again:)

• 7 months later...
Thank you so much everyone! We're booked next on the 9/10 sailing next year, so I have plenty of time to look into all your suggestions.

We really would like to do get good seafood while in port, and we enjoy shopping (local artists, crafts etc). Any specific suggestions for places would really be appreciated.

Has anyone done one of the lobster boat tours?

Please keep this thread going. I've checked the destinations board and its not as meaty as I was hoping.

Thank you again:)

Hi, Fishlover! We booked this cruise while onboard Equinox two weeks a g o. Just found your thread and want to thank you. Getting good info from it. If you have any more info to share with me, please do! Feeling a little overwhelmed! Thanks! Marty

Other than Oli's Trolley in Bar Harbour, we rented a car at all of the ports and did DIY excursions when we took a Canada/New England cruise a couple of years ago. We had a fantastic time and highly recommend this approach.

33bbb0647a4e75aab7e1442ca98ef6e2.jpg

Dog and Pony in Bar Harbour. It is one block off of the main drag. This is their lobster roll. All lobster, not the salad like most do. It was $16

Happy cruising [emoji305][emoji568][emoji631][emoji274]

Saguenay...the locals will greet you at the dock (at least they did several years ago) in costumes and with various events going on (sawing a small log etc) and then the towns-people put on a "pageant" which was wonderful!!...all again in costume and with live animals on stage etc...it was really fun and entertaining!!...a highlight event of any of our cruises!! LuAnn