Will Not complain about Carnival's Beverage Policy again

VolzCruiser

I agree about Carnival's water policy. I also think MSC and Carnival will be taking a lot of business away from NCL. I had a booking about a year ago, that I cancelled after seeing all the nickel and diming DelRio implemented. After they announced an 8 dollar charge for room service, I cancelled. There was also so much discontent on the NCL board here and as already stated the comments DelRio made, I just didn't think NCL would be a good fit for me. So I booked another Carnival cruise instead. :D

I also think it's ludicrous that the UDP promo doesn't include water and canned soda....deceitful if you ask me.

I'm happy with Carnival and MSC and an occasional DCL for DD.

We have a cruise booked on the Escape the week before our Vista sailing (We are on the same Vista sailing as you) and I am really second guessing the decision. While we got a lot of promos (Dining package, adult drinking package, pre-paid gratuities & $300 OBC) there was plenty I wasn't happy about, but trying to stay positive. As a Coke drinker I was planning on bringing one 8-pack of bottles with me. Now, not only can I not do that, but if I try to bring a coke on board that I bought in port I have to finish drinking it before I get back on the ship. Yes, I shouldn't drink soda-very bad for me, but that is my choice to make. The price for bottled water, $27+ for a 6-pack is highway robbery.

Of course what cruise line I sail with doesn't come down to Coke vs. Pepsi, but when I weigh everything else, maybe NCL isn't the best choice for me. NCL is a business and they have the right to squeeze out every penny from their consumers that they can, but the consumer has the right to take their business elsewhere.

Carnivals beverage policy for carry on is among the most guest friendly of all the mass market lines. NCL is a company that seems to hate its guests. They've taken most of the sheen off my upcoming Escape cruise with all their hatchet job cutbacks.

I hope you meant CCL Corp. Princess allows bottles of water to be brought on board, not just canned water. My wife insists my 92yr young Mom drinks alkaline enriched water or smart water. I've brought on a case several times with no problem as checked baggage. I understand the Carnival policy to avoid vodka,gin, whatever water bottles.

Sailed once on NCL and deemed it the Ghetto boat. Never again. Did have a very nice mini suite room that was quite roomy. Did enjoy the room, but the "attitude" of some of the crew was sad. I was walking through the buffet on our last day at sea and 2 ships officers were walking towards me. They both saw me and expected me to get out of their royal way. I made no attempt to alter my path and as we were about to collide head on they stopped and stared at me. I asked, who's the paying guest here, should I have to move for you? they snorted, but that ended when I got their names and positions and said I would gladly let their employer about these 2 outstanding examples of NCL crew members. Hope my onion letter gets reviewed next time either of these clowns comes up for a promotion.

While ALL cruise lines have had cutbacks over the past few years, it does seem NCL's new CEO is all about what he can take away and figuring out where to implement new charges for passengers. Annoying to say the least. I used to say NCL did not nickel and dime more than any other line, but that has changed over the past year or two. Sadly. :mad:

-

CARNIVAL: KEEP SENDING SHIPS TO NYC PLEASE so I can cruise on them!

We have a cruise booked on the Escape the week before our Vista sailing (We are on the same Vista sailing as you) and I am really second guessing the decision. While we got a lot of promos (Dining package, adult drinking package, pre-paid gratuities & $300 OBC) there was plenty I wasn't happy about, but trying to stay positive. As a Coke drinker I was planning on bringing one 8-pack of bottles with me. Now, not only can I not do that, but if I try to bring a coke on board that I bought in port I have to finish drinking it before I get back on the ship. Yes, I shouldn't drink soda-very bad for me, but that is my choice to make. The price for bottled water, $27+ for a 6-pack is highway robbery.

Of course what cruise line I sail with doesn't come down to Coke vs. Pepsi, but when I weigh everything else, maybe NCL isn't the best choice for me. NCL is a business and they have the right to squeeze out every penny from their consumers that they can, but the consumer has the right to take their business elsewhere.

Looks like you got a hell of a deal on the Escape cruise....but I can see why you have reservations. I never sailed them, so it's hard for me to see if the rest of the cruise would make up for all these little annoyances..but I can tell you, I'm not rushing to try unless I see a change.

IF you decide to keep the cruise, you can tell me all about it on the Vista and let me know how it went.:)

When I was shopping NCL a few months back, their unlimited beverage program was one of several options that could be picked, and it certainly wasn't free. If I remember right, it added about $86pp. That is some very expensive soda for a week. I drink plenty of soda, but it takes me countless months to spend that much on soda. That's why, if I had booked an NCL cruise, I definitely would not have picked the UBP. I don't drink much alcohol. I would have gone with the specialty restaurants instead. (Yes, there was also a fee for that, but it was much less, about $15.) Certain room types allowed you to pick 2 or more of the options, but I was looking at inside rooms. Only 1 for insides, so the UBP was definitely out.

So, for those thinking that this new policy of NCLs isn't a big deal because of the UBP, remember that many people probably didn't/wouldn't pick that, nor do we see $86 as a fair price for soda for a week.

I also won't be complaining of Carnival's policy. I just wonder if Carnival will decide to copy NCL.

Yes, took a look back and NCL used to charge $15 corkage on each and every bottle brought on board. So two free and then corkage after that is definitely better for wine drinkers:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1702396&page=3

The article does not say you get two free bottles, it says you can take on two bottles and pay the corkage fee. I read that to mean if you use to take a case of wine on board and pay the corkage fee, now you are limited to two bottles with the corkage fee.

My first thought was I hope other lines don't change to this policy..... Whenever one line raises their gratuities the other lines usually seem to follow. I hope that doesn't become the case with this....

Any cruise line with a lick of sense will see the uproar this change is causing and not touch it with a 10' pole :)

That's the way it's always been. I think (and I'd have to look back to be certain) that this new policy is actually better for wine drinkers, because I don't think (3 years ago) we were allowed to carry on ANY wine for which we hadn't paid the corkage fee.

Now at least you can get 2 bottles per cabin on for free and pay the corkage fee for anything extra you'd care to bring on. We brought on a case of our favorite wine for our 2013 TA. I think I'd rather do that on Carnival to be honest, to be certain of drinking wines I really liked in the MDR (or any place else on the ship).

In addition (and I don't know if this holds true with the new policy or not) you could buy wines on port visits, pay the corkage fee on reboarding, and take those wines to dinner with you the same evening.

Nope.

-You are permitted to bring two sealed bottles (not boxes) of wine onto your ship. But be forewarned:

“They will be checked prior to embarkation and a corkage fee applied at that time of $15.00 for a 750 ml Bottle or $30.00 for a 1,500 ml Magnum bottle…. If guests do not wish to pay the corkage fee, the wine will be held onboard and returned to the guests at the end of the cruise.”

“Effective for sailings July 15, 2016 and beyond, guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board either as carry-on or checked luggage…. Open beverages of any kind must be consumed or discarded at the security check-point, on embarkation day and at any port of call.”

NCL has never limited the number of bottles of wine that may be brought onboard as long as the corkage is paid. I've read of several passengers bringing a case onboard with them (and receiving a refund of the corkage for bottles not consumed).

NCL has never limited the number of bottles of wine that may be brought onboard as long as the corkage is paid. I've read of several passengers bringing a case onboard with them (and receiving a refund of the corkage for bottles not consumed).

A friend of mine had 2 cases of wine delivered to him on NCL for a New Orleans to Seattle cruise. He really loves good wine.

In reply to BookBug53 (sorry...quoting doesn't seem to be working in my version of Firefox on Windows 10):

Argh! I just read the actual policy on NCL's site rather than skimming the article and you're absolutely right. That sucks!

Particularly annoying is the part about no longer being able to bring on local beverages - it was nice to try local wines after a Port of Call.

I was pretty marginal on NCL before this. Now I'll probably never give them another look. :mad:

Edited by bigwally

They don't include water in the UBP and as stated above they carry Pepsi products. Here's what someone posted on the NCL board regarding the price they charge for water if you order it ahead of time:

Aquafina 6 pack - $27.08 (price will be 30% higher on board)

Aquafina 12 pack - $47.14 (price will be 39% higher on board)

Aquafina 18 pack - $58.94 (price will be 50% higher on board)

Aquafina 24 pack - $70.74 (price will be 55% higher on board)

I'm not 100% sure but I believe you'll also pay an 18% gratuity with your purchase. (I am also not sure but I think those are for 1 liter bottles.)

The prices for the water and that brand is crazy!! At least RC gives your premium water.

With the UBP whats the big deal??

Let me tell you the big deal for me.... and my most recent cruise was on NCL ( our first time trying that line)

1. yes I can get my favorite brand soda (Pepsi) but I cant get a full can. I prefer can over fountain which is the way it comes at many bars. If I do find a bar that has cans I get a warm can normally flat poured over ice just like CCL. YUCK!

2. I must go to a bar to track down a glass. I prefer to have one in my room when I'm getting ready in the AM or sitting on my balcony etc.

3. if I book my cruise last minute I do not qualify to get any of the promo's - so its not like everyone can get the UBP always. And when you do get it you still pay tax. Think it was like $90 for the 2 of us to have the UBP - gladly paid it as my bar bill would of been more but its far from free.

Edited by hlb76

Not defending NCL, as I've never cruised them, but with the UBP that is offered on nearly every cruise, and booze included on the SKY, does it matter that they restricted bringing beverages on board?:confused:

Yes, it does matter to many, many people. Not everyone spends their cruises drinking alcohol to the extent that it pays to purchase a UBP. And don't think they are free or perks; they are figured into the price of the cabins plus you still have to pay for port taxes and 18% gratuities on some of the lines (Norwegian, we're looking at you!). Carnival did the smart thing when they made bottled water available at a reasonable cost plus they have Coke products on board (I drank Coke Zero on Carnival, no problem). Restricting bottled goods isn't all of it; they used to have an unlimited amount of alternative brands of soft drinks, juices, etc. allowed for carry-on. Carnival still allows a 12-pack per person.

Not everyone loves Pepsi, not everyone can tolerate ship water, not everyone is on a short party cruise. We personally sail different lines depending on itinerary more than anything. We don't bring on water but would have brought Coke on a Norwegian 16 nt. TA next April. I feel for those who are locked into a new policy that affects them and will not make fun of anyone whose needs are different than mine. I hope that everyone finds their way to enjoy their cruises, tolerate our differences, and remember that we are more alike than different.

After our one and only NCL cruise we were all set to make them our cruise line of choice. Even with the cut backs we had heard about we were still anxious to sail with them again. We were thinking of the Dawn out of NOLA for next year, but this might be the tipping point. We like to bring a couple of 12 packs of water for excursions and convenience, plus a few cans of soda for when we order room service. Like someone else said, they would have to drop the cabin price enough to compensate for the extra drinks cost in order for me to book with them, but I doubt that would happen. I won't rule out NCL for a future cruise, but they are off my radar for now.

Not defending NCL, as I've never cruised them, but with the UBP that is offered on nearly every cruise, and booze included on the SKY, does it matter that they restricted bringing beverages on board?:confused:

unfortunately to those of us who have already paid for cruises with NCL for the near future; for us 9/4/2016, it matters a whole lot. Being pre diabetic I cut out a lot of flavored drinks and opt for water We don't drink alcohol so why would we pay for the UBP and a case of water is 30bucks or so for a 12pk really!! I can drink at least 4 bottles a day alone forget giving to my family. and I don't drink tap at home so why should I have to drink and brush my teeth with their water system. So yes this really stinks. Im on the Sunshine with Carnival on the 28th we had no complaints about buying water on board because it is reasonably priced. Its all in how you do things.

Up until the last few years, NCL has been my favorite cruiseline....however, I can honestly say that Carnival is now my favorite. Unfortunately, we have booked an 11 day Alaska/West coast cruise with NCL...and it is paid for...and we are excited for the trip...so we are going, but it will probably be the last trip we book with NCL.

The no carry on beverage seems like a small thing on the surface, however when combined with all the other "changes", it is the proverbial straw for us. We do have an all inclusive beverage package on this sailing, BUT....it doesn't include bottled water, nor does it include cans of soda. I like to wake up and have a cold can of soda to start my day. I don't want to have to find a bar that is open at 0600 to get my morning soda. I certainly am not going to pay $40 for bottled water. The beverage package has very little value for my husband and I as we are not drinkers. We usually have 7 or 8 drinks TOTAL over the course of a cruise. We want bottled water and cans of soda and we can't get them with the all inclusive drink package. And we can't carry them on.....

Goodbye NCL..........Goodluck!

My feelings exactly We are booked for this Sept but I think this too will be our last booking. I never complain about UDP that's ones personal choice, but to take away bringing your own water on then charge $50 for a small pk..to me that's blatant disrespect.

Any cruise line with a lick of sense will see the uproar this change is causing and not touch it with a 10' pole :)

Like your thinking, but NCL has been the industry leader on specialty resturaunts, auto-tips to the room, flexible dining, beverage packages and much more. Most of these so called innovations rubbed me the the wrong way at first but most have become standard across the industry.

Like your thinking, but NCL has been the industry leader on specialty resturaunts, auto-tips to the room, flexible dining, beverage packages and much more. Most of these so called innovations rubbed me the the wrong way at first but most have become standard across the industry.

If the industry follows anyone in this regard I hope that they choose to follow CCL- prohibit bottles, allow a reasonable amount of cans/cartons, and offer water at a reasonable price. That is a policy that addresses the cruise lines concern and accomodates the passenger.

With carnival carry on policy change last year with NO bottles only cans was upsetting...BUT NCL is ridiculous

I'm so glad carnival is keeping the 12 pack water at a reasonable price.

If the passengers are happy the cruise lines are happy.

While NCL may be the industry leader, it doesn't mean everything they do is for the better or that other cruise lines will follow. Does anyone remember their policy about "not bringing food back to your room"? That lasted for about 2 weeks :)

I think the other cruise lines kind of enjoy letting NCL "test the water" with new policies and see what works and what doesn't. Why wouldn't they? They get to see what they can use as additional revenue stream without angering their own customers. It's a win-win for them !!!

While NCL may be the industry leader, it doesn't mean everything they do is for the better or that other cruise lines will follow. Does anyone remember their policy about "not bringing food back to your room"? That lasted for about 2 weeks :)

I think the other cruise lines kind of enjoy letting NCL "test the water" with new policies and see what works and what doesn't. Why wouldn't they? They get to see what they can use as additional revenue stream without angering their own customers. It's a win-win for them !!!

Agree, not everything NCL tries works or gets adopted by other lines - but enough of it does to make everything they roll out relevant to non NCL cruisers.

Many complain about Carnival's requirement of all adults in same cabin having to buy Cheers (I agree, dumb rule) but this tops that:

NCL's Package

Enjoy a wide selection of soft drinks, beers, spirits, cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to and including $15 USD during your entire cruise.

Prepaid @ $79.00 USD per person per day x Cruise Days plus 18% gratuity and beverage service charge.

Beverage packages must be purchased for all guests staying within the same stateroom, additional stateroom, adjoining stateroom or travel with.

Individuals under the age of 21 will be required to purchase the Soda Program