Passport Question....

tgirl25

My Passport expires in March 2017, my cruise is Feb 2017. Do I need to renew it prior to my cruise or is it still fine as long as it is not expired? I am confused. Some say you have to have a 6mo window beyond to use it but that doesn't make sense to me. Shouldn't you be able to use it till it expires? So confused

My Passport expires in March 2017, my cruise is Feb 2017. Do I need to renew it prior to my cruise or is it still fine as long as it is not expired? I am confused. Some say you have to have a 6mo window beyond to use it but that doesn't make sense to me. Shouldn't you be able to use it till it expires? So confused

For the purposes of returning into your home country, the valid expiration date is all that is needed. However, SOME countries have rules such as it must be valid for 6 months or they will not let you into their country. The general reason is that they fear you will come into their country and it will expire and you won't have the means to leave their country. They are trying to ensure your entire trip is under the umbrella of a valid passport. Some cruise lines extend this to a policy that requires all passports to be valid for at least 6 months. And they MAY enforce that. But they are really acting in support of countries that require it.

I would renew it.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

NO you have to renew. It has to be valid for 6 months.

Not necessarily, it all depends upon which ports/countries will be visited on the cruise. If it is a closed loop cruise to the Caribbean there is no such requirement.

I am assuming from your signature that you will be on a "closed loop cruise" to the Eastern Caribbean AND assuming you are asking about a US issued Passport....

US Passport is not required to the Eastern Caribbean in a "closed loop cruise"..... just use BC \ Govt Issued ID to avoid all hassles \ worries if you do not plan on renewing your passport.

I would renew the passport. If you think you might need your passport in the next few years, why not do it before it expires. You'll be ready for anything and no worries.

Renewal is an easy process and can be done online. You will have to mail the expiring passport, new photo and check. Your old passport will be returned to you along with a new passport. The process took me about 2 weeks.

My children live in Asia and Europe so I keep mine current. You never know when the unexpected will occur and not having passport problems is one less thing to deal with if there is an emergency.

Many times a passport can be your best form of identification.

Yes, closed loop out of Port Canaveral to Tortola, St Thomas, and GSC. There is only me and I usually am back on ship at least an hour before sail away, not really a shopper so it would be highly unlikely for me to not make it back on ship.

Prefer not to renew till after the cruise for the following 1 but figured worst come to worst I can bring my birth certificate too but was trying to figure out if that was needed or if the passport was fine on it's own.

Thanks.... If anyone is 100% sure either way please post. It is looking like I will reread NCL policy but I may well be fine just with the passport

Thanks.... If anyone is 100% sure either way please post. It is looking like I will reread NCL policy but I may well be fine just with the passport

No need to re-read the NCL policy. You have been given correct info. Your passport will be fine for that cruise.

I would renew the passport. If you think you might need your passport in the next few years, why not do it before it expires. You'll be ready for anything and no worries.

Renewal is an easy process and can be done online. You will have to mail the expiring passport, new photo and check. Your old passport will be returned to you along with a new passport. The process took me about 2 weeks.

My children live in Asia and Europe so I keep mine current. You never know when the unexpected will occur and not having passport problems is one less thing to deal with if there is an emergency.

Many times a passport can be your best form of identification.

Why not wait until you actually have a trip planned? You may still renew your expired passport just as easily. In your situation with loved ones overseas it makes sense to have a valid passport handy, but that doesn't apply to everyone.

Thank you all for responding. I feel like I should knnow this stuff but since this was my 1st passport I was unsure how to proceed. I will wait till I get back and renew late Feb or March so I can still get the full 10yrs out of it.

Before cruising I could just use my Military ID to fly with orders or my vacation chit and didn't need a passport. While that was only a few years it still is different to deal with.

So now I know that US port loops, the passport just needs to be valid for the duration with a US passport. That with a destination port and US passport it is needed to have an additional 6mo past your embarkation date. Thank you all for helping me to understand the requirements so that I am always to code. You have been most helpful

An illness or accident could happen during your trip requiring a stay in a country past your passport expiration. The US Embassy would probably be able to help in such a case, but why be in that situation. In the grand design of things, you will probably die with time left on your last passport anyway.

An illness or accident could happen during your trip requiring a stay in a country past your passport expiration. The US Embassy would probably be able to help in such a case, but why be in that situation. In the grand design of things, you will probably die with time left on your last passport anyway.

I do have leway, my passport doesn't expire till 5wks after I am due to debark so I should be alright. I will be renewing before it expires so no worries there either.

Thanks again everyone

Good heavens people!! One doesn't even need a passport for a closed loop cruise!! So the expiration doesn't matter!!

ALSO on any other cruise you are considered IN TRANSIT and not immigrating to the the country, so again, your passport is still valid UNTIL THE DATE LISTED IN THE PASSPORT!!

Now, there are some cruise lines that require you have 6 months validity after sailing, however, that is a cruise line requirement and NCL isn't one of them.

Good heavens people!! One doesn't even need a passport for a closed loop cruise!! So the expiration doesn't matter!!

ALSO on any other cruise you are considered IN TRANSIT and not immigrating to the the country, so again, your passport is still valid UNTIL THE DATE LISTED IN THE PASSPORT!!

Now, there are some cruise lines that require you have 6 months validity after sailing, however, that is a cruise line requirement and NCL isn't one of them.

Even though you are in transit on a cruise, there are some countries, such as Spain, that require your passport to be good for six months past the travel date, even if you are only there for one day in port. So, if the itinerary has countries with that requirement, the cruise line will. not let you board.

Some countries, I am sure the UK is one, issue a new passport valid from the issue date until 10 years from the expiry date of the old one so you get a passport with validity of say 10 years 7 months if you renew 7 months early. Now that is service.

Our 10 year UK passport issued on 17 Nov 2014 expires on 17 Aug 2025.

Think about it this way - if you were travelling with a birth certificate, you would have no expiration date. If you can travel with a BC, then the 6 month passport rule does not apply. If a passport is required (e.g. going to Europe), then the 6 month rule would likely apply.

I guess it would make too much sense to actually ask NCL... From their website:

For U.S. Citizens:

Caribbean, Bahamas & Florida, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Canada & New England, Pacific Coastal

You’re required to carry:

A Valid passport

For Cruises Leaving a Non-U.S. port (Europe, Asia, South America Australia itineraries)

You’re required to carry a valid passport, not expiring within six (6) months of the return of your cruise.

All Non-U.S. Citizen Guests Must Carry A Valid Passport, (Not Expiring within (6) Months of Return Of Your Cruise).

NO you have to renew. It has to be valid for 6 months.

This might or might not be a correct statement. It all depends on where the OP is traveling.

Edited by zqvol

I guess it would make too much sense to actually ask NCL... From their website:

For U.S. Citizens:

Caribbean, Bahamas & Florida, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Canada & New England, Pacific Coastal

You’re required to carry:

A Valid passport

For Cruises Leaving a Non-U.S. port (Europe, Asia, South America Australia itineraries)

You’re required to carry a valid passport, not expiring within six (6) months of the return of your cruise.

All Non-U.S. Citizen Guests Must Carry A Valid Passport, (Not Expiring within (6) Months of Return Of Your Cruise).

You should have quoted the section right above that one, the one dealing with closed loop cruises.

I am going to make a couple of assumptions (which is always dangerous). The first is that you are a US citizen since your location is in the Midwest. The second is that you are doing a closed loop cruise out of a US port.

If those two things are true, you do not need to renew your passport prior to its expiration date to take that specific cruise.

Technically you are not entering any of the countries you visit because your stay is so short. You are considered in transit and any usual 6 months rules don't apply.

Yes, closed loop out of Port Canaveral to Tortola, St Thomas, and GSC. There is only me and I usually am back on ship at least an hour before sail away, not really a shopper so it would be highly unlikely for me to not make it back on ship.

Prefer not to renew till after the cruise for the following 1 but figured worst come to worst I can bring my birth certificate too but was trying to figure out if that was needed or if the passport was fine on it's own.

The only place you could possibly need your passport to return home would be from Tortola. GSC is a private island and you would not get left there. St. Thomas is a US territory and you can visit there with only a drivers license as an ID no passport or birth certificate is required.