Chest/Cough Problems on Navigator?

Dawne B R

We just got off the ship on the 20th. There were several people with deep chest coughs and one of our table mates went to the infirmary to make sure she didn't have a fever or anything. She told us they informed her that there was an issue with the air ventilation and it was causing the coughs, but nothing that was contagious or bacterial.

The day we got off of the ship I did see them changing every cabin air filter. .... wonder what it was?

A lot of people are having allergy issues but they think they're sick. Coughing, sneezing, etc. It's the time of year- ragweed and mold from leaves falling and rotting.

There's ALWAYS a virus of some kind going around. If anyone would ever notice, pretty much all year round someone is saying "it's going around" lol.

We were on the ship last week too (9/13-9/20/15) and I came down with this for a couple of days - cough with a sore throat. Not allergies from experience. My mom came down with it later in the trip and has a bad cough now.

I wash my hands often and use the sanitizer wherever I find it to try to avoid this.

Also, our deck 8 smelled like sewage around the 8340 section for the first day as you walked through to the elevtators. I'm wondering what happened below decks that caused that smell and the weirdness at early dinner. The staff seemed a little shook.

We were on the ship last week too (9/13-9/20/15) and I came down with this for a couple of days - cough with a sore throat. Not allergies from experience. My mom came down with it later in the trip and has a bad cough now.

I wash my hands often and use the sanitizer wherever I find it to try to avoid this.

Also, our deck 8 smelled like sewage around the 8340 section for the first day as you walked through to the elevtators. I'm wondering what happened below decks that caused that smell and the weirdness at early dinner. The staff seemed a little shook.

Sometimes it's just from a backup in a cabin because someone flushed something they shouldn't have. Sometimes what people think is sewage smell is the smell of the fuel they use since they always refuel in port during embarkation and debarkation. We've had a sewage smell on several trips, usually for a short period of time, but the first day near the aft of the ship, we always smell the fuel the first day.

What do you mean the staff was "shook"? From what" Usually, the first night the staff is a little confused because there are always new team members and it impacts service. I think you're making a random connection.

My DH has caught a cold on 3 out of the last 5 cruises we've taken. Everyone is being exposed to "new" germs since people travel from all over. I've never gotten sick on a cruise (except sea sick a couple of times). We do wash our hands but I never use the hand sanitizer if I can avoid it. It's overused and really doesn't do much.

I also know people who get sick every single time they fly, yet they don't let it stop them and they think it's just part of airline travel.

Edited by BND

Nope - I know the difference between diesel and sewage...and it lasted two days. Maybe it was a toilet issue and maybe it was something else. At least it faded away.

My comment is about the dining room staff and the word is unsettled. Neither of our waiters were on their first cruise, so it was odd to have such sub-par service. The last day had the same feel. No new crew members to explain that one. My guess is as good as yours....

I have two friends who were on that sailing as well. They both started with scratchy throats on the last night of the cruise and have been sick this week. Somebody came on with it and it got around.

Edited by bethco

I call it plane hack. Trapped in a cabin with a couple hundred others and all you hear is cough cough. Then you get on a ship

HA! My buddy from here on CC calls it "cruise lung rot". It goes around a LOT during flu season, and if you cruise in Australia or NZ during THEIR flu season, you have a good chance of catching year-round, since their seasons are the reverse of ours.

Getting a little nervous now. We cruise this ship on October 4th.. on the 8th deck. Between this and the electricity outage post..eek. This will also be our first cruise. :o

Not good news, I already have a slight cough. I will bring my usual anti-bacterial spray for the entire cabin!!

We just got off the ship on the 20th. There were several people with deep chest coughs and one of our table mates went to the infirmary to make sure she didn't have a fever or anything. She told us they informed her that there was an issue with the air ventilation and it was causing the coughs, but nothing that was contagious or bacterial.

The day we got off of the ship I did see them changing every cabin air filter. .... wonder what it was?

We had this problem on Navigator in 2013. About one-third of us came down with the cough. Some members of our roll call were later hospitalized with pneumonia.

I'd be pretty concerned if the nurse on the ship told me this was caused by something in the ventilation, bacterial or not. I'd be writing a letter to RCCL and hoping they'd be taking something like this very, very seriously.

Getting a little nervous now. We cruise this ship on October 4th.. on the 8th deck. Between this and the electricity outage post..eek. This will also be our first cruise. :o

We were on deck 8 with no issues on the same cruise. Best vacation of our lives! The ship was beautiful and the service was amazing!!! I wouldn't worry a bit!!! :)

I just got off the Navigator yesterday. We were on the 6th floor. Terrible odors the first 2 days. Moldy, mildew type smell. They had a huge fan blowing to help with the odor. It was really gross. Also, when you walk outside around deck 4, there are some extremely disgusting smells. Oh & go to the a Windjammer for the worst scents of all. By far the worst buffet ever.