Soda cards vs $8 a day

CGYCruisingFamily

We are just on the Nieuw Amsterdam and have been informed we can no longer get the soda card. Not happy about this.

New plan $8/pp per day. That means $240 for our family of four. We usually get a card and share it as needed but I think we won't be drinking pop. Not very happy right at this very moment.

Nickel and diming.

Is that $8 per day plus gratuity or is the gratuity part of the $8?

Is this just for fountain drinks (not cans)?

Plus gratuity. Worked out to $55.20/pp for 6 days of a 7 day cruise (we bought morning of day 2). Fountain only, unless you happen to get a bartender trying to use up the rest of a can he opened for a mixed drink. All adults in cabin must purchase.

Although I know the alcohol packages require everyone per cabin, and I kind of get that. I was very annoyed that HAL imposed the same requirement on soda packages. I know I'll get lectured about it, but this wasn't my first cruise, and it was the first time both of us have had to buy a soda package. My 2005 and 2009 HAL cruises had soda packages, and only one of us had to purchase. Same with my first NCL cruise, Carnival, and Princess (the other two NCLs were after they switched to Pepsi).

Also, if you are the type that needs soda in the morning, expect to be out of luck. I don't drink coffee, but need my morning diet coke for caffeine. Hard to find anything before 9:30am.

Edited by rubytue
forgot we mought of second day

Plus gratuity. Worked out to $55.20/pp for 6 days of a 7 day cruise (we bought morning of day 2). Fountain only, unless you happen to get a bartender trying to use up the rest of a can he opened for a mixed drink. All adults in cabin must purchase.

Although I know the alcohol packages require everyone per cabin, and I kind of get that. I was very annoyed that HAL imposed the same requirement on soda packages. I know I'll get lectured about it, but this wasn't my first cruise, and it was the first time both of us have had to buy a soda package. My 2005 and 2009 HAL cruises had soda packages, and only one of us had to purchase. Same with my first NCL cruise, Carnival, and Princess (the other two NCLs were after they switched to Pepsi).

Also, if you are the type that needs soda in the morning, expect to be out of luck. I don't drink coffee, but need my morning diet coke for caffeine. Hard to find anything before 9:30am.

Thanks for the information. Before I retired I always started the day with a soda (I don't drink coffee, either). I no longer drink enough soda to make $9.20 a day a good deal. I think I will stick with buying a can when I feel like a soda.

Option ... bring own soda instead. We brought two 12-pack boxes aboard earlier this month, as carry-on. No questions asked.

Good idea! Also, if you are a 3, 4 or 5 Star you get discounts on minibar purchases (25-50% discount) which makes the final price affordable. The room stewards will stock as much soda as you want in it.

What we used to do was buy cans of soda at happy hour with the second one for $1. I would buy a whole six pack and take them to my cabin. Doesn't work as well with the new HH pricing :(. Otherwise you have to wait to catch someone at the Lido bar early to get one in the morning.

Thanks everyone.

After reading that some of you have recently purchased, I talked to the front dest. I told them we traditionally purchased on board but that we would have prepurchased online if we had known. They tried still to sell us on the $8/day saying the cards have been discontinued. I questioned if that is the case then why are they available online?

In the end they did admit they are still available, but are being phased out. We were able to purchase one.

Thanks all for the info.

Thanks everyone.

After reading that some of you have recently purchased, I talked to the front dest. I told them we traditionally purchased on board but that we would have prepurchased online if we had known. They tried still to sell us on the $8/day saying the cards have been discontinued. I questioned if that is the case then why are they available online?

In the end they did admit they are still available, but are being phased out. We were able to purchase one.

Thanks all for the info.

Cruise Critic to the rescue!

There seems to be several new options for beverage cards, since the last time I looked.

I just went online and looked at all of the options for my Jan 18 N.A. cruise.

1. There is the Signature Beverage Package, which has been around for a long time and is very expensive ($568 per person for my 11 day cruise) - I am not interested in this.

2. There are beverage cards in $50 and $250 amounts. These allow you to get any kind of beverage, but there is no savings. Unused portion to be refunded. These cards have been around for a long time too, but I don't remember seeing the $250 amount. Also there is a non-alcoholic version of this, which I assume is aimed at kids.

3. There is also a "soda value card." I have never seen this one before. It only costs $25 but is good for $50 worth of soda. I assume this one is not refundable.

4. Finally there is an unlimited Coca Cola Package, which is $8 per person per day plus gratuity. This would cost me $101.20 per person for my 11 day cruise. That is too much for me. I have not seen this package offered before.

I would be interested in the $25 card that gives me $50 of soda. So I think I will get two of these for my wife and I.

Tom O, it sounds like you want to buy those cards while you can. They used to be available on the ship but they seemed to have stopped selling them there. I bought them for my March, October, and November cruises.

Roy