Caribbean in early June or mid August?

Grenouille21

We are booked on a Western Caribbean cruise for mid August 2015, and I am second guessing the timing due to weather concerns. I know there is no way to predict the weather especially this far in advance, and that anything can happen. But can anyone offer advice about whether we might tip the odds in our favor a bit if we travel in early June instead? Or is it a wash?

June is lower risk of hurricanes in the Atlantic than August - September. No guarantees, of course.

We sailed the Caribbean many times in all summer months and positively loved it. It isn't crowded, the temperature doesn't change much all year but it gets more humid in summer. Chances are it could be a little less humid in June than August.

It's going to be hot and humid in either month...June might be less humid, but who knows? The Caribbean is hot to warm all year...the summer months are the worst.

I did a 9 day cruise there in late August, and it really wasn't as bad humidity-wise as I thought it might be. It was plenty hot, but not unbearable.

However, we were sweating in a different way in the last few days before we were due to board because there was the threat of a hurricane, but fortunately it turned away before getting into the Caribbean.

I'd be inclined to try June if I cruise in the Caribbean again in the summer.

Does the southern Caribbean get as much hurricane activity as the rest of the Caribbean? Or more?

We're thinking of a B2B on a southern Caribbean in late August. We know it'll be hot and humid but we just moved back after a year in Thailand. I'm hoping it won't be as bad as that.

It is extremely rare for a hurricane to hit Aruba, Bonaire or Curacao.

My late DH and I sailed the Caribbean summers for years when HAL used to have their newest ship sailing there the first year in the fleet. We used to do b-to-b's we enjoyed it so much. Sure it was hot and humid but not unbearable and that is what air conditioning is for. :) When at the beach or pool, one can enjoy a swim and the ship is certainly well air conditioned.

Edited by sail7seas

We sailed August 2-9 this year. There was Tropical Storm Bertha churning near the Bahamas when the ship left Fort Lauderdale. The captain announced that we'd be skipping the private island (Princess Cays in the Bahamas) and have an extra day at sea. That was fine with us. We ended up getting the port fees (less than $20 per person) credited to our accounts. Our other ports weren't affected by the storm--and it turned out to be one of the smoothest cruises we've taken.