What happens at ports if DHS shuts down after tommorrow?

LMaxwell

If Department of Homeland Security funding is not approved and DHS has a shutdown how will that impact ports and cruisers?

Short answer: it won't.

The vast majority of employees at DHS are considered essential, and that includes CBP officers. They will, however, be working without any pay starting Saturday until the budget is passed. Then they will be paid retroactively. Hopefully it won't come to that and Congress will pull their collective heads out of you-know-where and resolve this like grown ups :rolleyes:

virtually ALL uniformed workers will be required to work with the risk of no paycheck until the issue is resolved ... they are deemed "essential"

Coast Guard and other agencies will reduce training and most "routine" patrols, but will continue to respond to incidents.

Civilian employees of these various DHS agencies will go home ... but if history repeats itself, they WILL get paid for the lost days SO you/we gave them extra paid vacation days.

As a retired DHS worker, I was relieved to see my pension for March deposited today, so my elected officials has another month to pull their heads out ...

Note that plenty of retired DHS folks are not living high on the hog, but rather check to check and CONGRESS messing with their pay is just like turning off Social Security ..... remember this action next time you go to vote!

Next time CONGRESS has a beef the first pay to be cut off should be THEIRS!

Edited by Capt_BJ

We were on a cruise when the last government "shutdown" happened, no impact at all on us getting off the ship. Maybe the line at customs was slightly slower, hard to tell though as it seems very variable from ship to ship and port to port anyway.

Our experience with the last shutdown was not as positive as yours. It took almost 2 hours to get through customs and out of the terminal. It was on Allure and there were 3 customs agents on duty to service 6,000 passengers. Not blaming the agents, they were doing the best they could under the circumstances. But I sure wish our legislators would get off their high horses and learn that "compromise" is not a dirty word and that holding the American public hostage is just plain stupid!

Essential Personnel will be told to report for work, but they will not be paid. Last shut down, Congress voted to give these employees back pay when the dispute was settled. Contractors were not paid.

Presumably most will show up for work. However, many will likely be unhappy not knowing when or even if, a paycheck will arrive. I would expect them to be slow and in a bad mood.

... But I sure wish our legislators would get off their high horses and learn that "compromise" is not a dirty word and that holding the American public hostage is just plain stupid!

Very well said!

If Department of Homeland Security funding is not approved and DHS has a shutdown how will that impact ports and cruisers?

No impact. Border protection is deemed an essential service and it will be business as usual.

Not at all. All essential workers will still be on the job.

And by the way, yes, they will still get paid. Due to hours worked up through today, pay will continue through March 16 due to the government pay calander. The only way they will be on the job without pay is if the DHS budget lapse goes beyond March 16. I find that extrememly unlikely.

From this linked article:

"Yes, critical operations would continue, but the support for those operations would cease. Approximately 6 percent of the TSA workforce would be furloughed. Hiring would cease. Required training would cease. Travel associated with routine planned security inspections would cease. Deployment of security technology equipment would potentially be delayed.""

I really just wanted to know the impact on cruisers going through ports manned by CBP; I didn't know how it was handled and a few on here have provided very insightful answers and I learned something new. I'd prefer not to discuss political ideology or opinions however.