Save our passports!!

alfredo1

Hi,

Suggestion for Azamara that perhaps Bonnie can forward.

How about introducing peelable labels for affixing to passports when taken from passengers on board Azamara ships. The ones used at present are not removable and my poor old passport is getting in a right state with many labels on top of another.

Thanks.

Hi Alfredo1, thanks for writing.

I've not heard of this problem before. I'll send it up the flagpole and see what I hear back.

Bonnie

Hi alfredo1, the hotel department is equally stumped by your problem with the labels not coming off. I'm told they use regular labels and aren't sure why yours aren't coming off. That said, I am impressed you've sailed with us so many times that the labels have piled up! Thank you :)

Hi Alfredo1, thanks for writing.

I've not heard of this problem before. I'll send it up the flagpole and see what I hear back.

Bonnie

We have exactly the same problem Bonnie, I tried to prise off the labels and they left a sticky mess on the back, so have given up on subsequent voyages. I think it may be due to the amount of time they are left on. We are just joining the quest today so will see if the labels have improved!!!

We too have had the issue, maybe it's the different covers between countries. I would not use glue removing products as they leave substance traces that could cause issues.

I have had issues at one countries border because a sticker was part on, when I came home I discovered in the UK it is actually an offence to put stickers on the front of passports as Azamara had done so new stickers may not be the answer Bonnie, but new process

From our experiences on Azamara they only put the stickers on the back of the passports and they peel off without any problems at all so sorry for your problems.

Regrettably on ours it was on the front right across the country info

It is name and suite number when the ship is holding passports for immigration clearance. I'd rather provide them with a see through cover to stick the labels on if required

Thank you. I've never had my passport held, hence no stickers. :D I do agree, they should come up with a better way to apply the stickers.

Hi,

Thanks for reaction to my post.

For avoidance of doubt my passport is UK and the many labels are stuck on the front over the official badging. They are impossible to remove without damage which is frowned upon at immigration,even on my wife's brand new issue. Must be a better system.

Hi,

Thanks for reaction to my post.

For avoidance of doubt my passport is UK and the many labels are stuck on the front over the official badging. They are impossible to remove without damage which is frowned upon at immigration,even on my wife's brand new issue. Must be a better system.

Totally agree, stickers should never be used full stop!

I have already had one issue getting a work visa because of the sticker hope it does not become a regular problem for work but if I hand over passports in future I will be making it clear -NO stickers! But hopefully Bonnie will confirm she is going to pass on the issue again as it does need sorting out

Edited by uktog

Discovered a number of years ago that a simple and efficient way to remove sticky labels without damaging the surface, is to lightly spray the sticky bit with household polish in an aerosol. In the UK, any brand such as Pledge will do. Leave for a few minutes then gently wipe off with a soft cloth such as the blue and white ones (like Jiffy) which most of us have for general use. Gently rinse any polish residue off with the same cloth which has been rinsed and squeezed almost dry. Worth trying and our UK passports have never been damaged in any way.

Problem solved.

This is a good tip because this usually works with any kind of price tag/sticky label on any type of surface...or so I have found. Even on the red and yellow TK MAXX ones which are often sticker than most. I know it is T? MAXX in different countries but you probably have the same labels.

Worth a try. If you do try, please post if it succeeded for you too.

Edited by edinburgher
typo

Totally agree, stickers should never be used full stop!

I have already had one issue getting a work visa because of the sticker hope it does not become a regular problem for work but if I hand over passports in future I will be making it clear -NO stickers! But hopefully Bonnie will confirm she is going to pass on the issue again as it does need sorting out

I have passed this thread to the very top. After all, it's the little things that make the difference. We would hate to lose your goodwill because of some sticky goo!

• 1 year later...

Sadly just discovered there has been no change in the process AND the Jordanian authorities placed sticky barcodes inside our second photo page that has to be kept clear on UK passports I've managed very carefully to remove that label, the one on the cover would have beenan issue as my government employer insists we have clean unmarked passport covers :( but I'm getting a second work passport next month phew! Certainly the kind of permission to work visas I get for China etc can be refused if the passport cover is defaced. A new system really is needed!

I have missed this thread in the past. I had many stickers on my two year old passport bye Azamara . Without checking I would say mine are on the back. I do try to,peel away. An American tour company has done it to me twice when traveling outside the country. I have no idea what Az does with the passports in the safe but my new one looks as old as my oldest one. In the states they are good for ten years.

I am glad for the next year or so I will not have to do this. Personally I like to keep mine and stand in line before they destroy my passport more .

I had missed this thread in 2015 too. Azamara's stickers have always gone on the back and (for me) they peel off easily. The same can not be said for the stickers with codes scribbled on Delta and United use for flights from some European airports (including my home airport Amsterdam) to the US to indicate you've cleared their additional security process - there's at least 25 of those on the back of my passport currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think this may be an issue if you embark on a cruise outside your own country. Our last 3 have originated in U.K., so my passport has only been scanned, not taken.

Could become a problem when we leave the EU?

My passport is due for renewal next year, so if I am still issued with a EU passport, it shouldn't be a problem for the next 10 years!

Edited by upwarduk

I had missed this thread in 2015 too. Azamara's stickers have always gone on the back and (for me) they peel off easily. The same can not be said for the stickers with codes scribbled on Delta and United use for flights from some European airports (including my home airport Amsterdam) to the US to indicate you've cleared their additional security process - there's at least 25 of those on the back of my passport currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes.but NO stickers are allowed for certain government clearance I can assure you and the airlines know this and give us an alternative document! And we tried to start to take the one off my husbands passport last night it will. Not budge. I will speak to our Travel Security Clearance Department when I get home, hopefully they have a safe removal process!

Nothing annoys us more than stickers on passports, Virgin Atlantic are one of the worst culprits for this although we have had problems with a number of cruise lines, although not usually Azamara funnily enough. The Indian Visa service also gave us a problem, with our Journey cruise starting in Mumbai coming up will see if they still do soon!

I have found that the answer is De-Solv-It Sticky Stuff Remover, Amazon and plenty of hardware shops stock it, with a bit of patience and care all traces of labels can be removed with no damage to the passport cover.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We can't get the labels off either. My OH has just spent 5 minutes trying to remove the latest Az label. My own passport is showing signs of damage on the back cover where I have scratched off the numerous labels which definitely would not peel off.

Thanks Edinburgher for the tip about the polish to remove the goo - it works!