Booked in accessible by cruise line room d/t no regular rooms left,will we get moved?

Marywillowhill

Hi , We are 1st time cruisers and we were assgned a accessible( roomier handicap able) cabin d/t there being no regular inside rooms available. Has this happened to anyone and were you moved at the last minute to accomodate anyone? I am hoping we stay in our current cabin.there is a lot more room! It will be myself,Husband, 10 year old Son and 22 year old Daughter. I am very private and am afraid if we get moved to a standrd room with the kids sleeping up above our bed in bunks I will never sleep! Also does anyone know about paying a flat rate and being able to shower in the spa and use the facilities. I don't know how we will all share one bathroom and shower. Any info you have to share will be helpful. thanks, Marybeth

It is possible that you will be moved if someone who is really handicapped needs that cabin. A regular inside cabin can seem VERY crowded with 4 people. And it is nice to have 2 bathrooms. 2 inside cabins would be better.

With 4 in the cabin, you will need to all be considerate with use of the bathroom. Also, the first thing I would do on boarding is find the nearest public restroom. You never know when that knowledge will be critical

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Did the cruise line assign you that cabin or did your TA book it for you?

There is the chance you may get moved.

Don't know how soon your cruise is, but is it possible for you to book 2 inside cabins? It is going to be very crowded with 4 people and 1 bathroom.

I was once assigned a huge HC cabin. I had booked an inside guarantee for B2B cruises about five weeks out. Apparently this was the only cabin that was available for both legs. It was a cabin for 3, the third sleeping on a foldout couch. The same cabin for four would have the 3/4 people sharing a foldout couch. Would your kids be okay with that? I'm sure they would prefer the upper bunks...EM

it's always possible you can be moved. It someone last minute ends up needing the handicapped cabin and requests one. Unfortunately that's part of the downfall to having one. Did the cruise line assign it to you or did you choose it? Either way the results can be the same.

What ship? Then we can better answer the question about showering in the gym. Is your cabin on the same end of the ship as the fitness center. Some of these ships are huge.

Do you know the sleeping arrangements for 4 in this cabin? Your daughter and son may be sharing an undersized sofa bed. If you can swing 2 insides you all will be so much happier. Are you past final payment?

We were booked in the handicapped cabin by the online travel service and our final payment is made. I did not ask for or indicate that I wanted or needed an accessible stateroom. A single cabin we all share is our only option. My Husband is very frugal. I have been wanting to take a cruise my whole life . I will have my 47 th birthday right before the cruise. I assumed one person would be on the sofa bed and they would bring in a rolling cot of some type...can we bring a twin air mattress aboard? My Daughter would not be comfortable sharing a bed. Let alone a tiny one. We are driving from PA to cruise out of Port Canaveral. The ship is with Royal Carribean and it is the Majesty of the Seas. I know it is an older ship and it has its share of poor reviews. It's only for 4 nights so I was hoping we could stagger our showers and make good use of the public toilets. But we cannot sleep in shifts!

I am excited to finally use my passport. I have never left the country.

I don't know which cruiseline to determine the size of the room, but as they are all much of a muchness I think it highly unlikely you would get a rolling cot into the room. There just wouldn't be the floor space.

I think you should ask about this cabin on the Royal Caribbean board here at CC. I looked up the cabin, and there are only two HC inside cabins on Majesty. Four total. And they are listed as only having capacity of two. How did the online agent book four of you into this cabin? Maybe she didn't mention that there are four? Or did the cruise line offer rollaway beds? Although these cabins appear to be 50% or more larger than the regular inside I think it would really be crowded for two cots.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ports/accessibilityFeatures.do?pagename=accessible_staterooms_popup_MJ

Majesty is one of RC's oldest and smallest ships. I do not think you could get a rollaway in the cabin along with the sofa bed. You might get better information on the RC board and also check out the specific cabin number.

You might also want to check back with the agency as to how they booked the room and number of beds.

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

You need to switch cabins, now. Frugality is one thing, but I've been on Majesty, in an accessible cabin (I'm disabled and use a scooter) and there's no way that four of you will fit in that cabin, sleeping-wise. They don't keep extra sleeping places in those cabins because they are used to store a disabled person's wheelchair/scooter/walkers etc. There's really no floor room for a blow up mattress and even if there would be a sofa bed, it's smaller than a double bed. There was not a pull down bed, from the ceiling, in my accessible cabin. The accessible cabin is 190 sq ft, which is not big. For example, an accessible cabin on Navigator of the Seas, a newer ship, is 256 sqft for an inside cabin. With that, you MIGHT fit the four of you, but I can't see that happening on Majesty. I don't remember if there's a sofa bed or just a basic sofa in those cabins, as I cruised on her many years ago, but I honestly think there isn't a sofa of any kind---if I remember anything, it's just a chair, not a sofa.

As Grandma Dazzles said, Majesty is probably the oldest ship in Royal Caribbean's fleet, and when those ships were built way back when, they didn't give much consideration for the disabled, so the accessible cabins aren't nearly as large as they are on the newer ships.

You need to contact Royal Caribbean to see if this cabin even accepts four in an accessible cabin. I know for a fact that very few allow three people in an accessible cabin, much less four. Like I said, I don't think this set up is going to work for you at all. Sorry. Unfortunately, those online travel services don't know what they're doing in some cases, especially in booking accessible cabins. While some online agencies are decent, some aren't very good, like with all things in life.

Because you have a travel agent rc may not want to speak with you....call the special needs people directy and explain your situation....my first cruise was on the majesty and the cabin was pretty small.....like an rv without a kitchen...even in an hc cabin there may not be enough floor space to sleep your kids....I have had several hc cabins on diff lines and none had a couch....even a suite.....keep coming back here for help if you need it....there are a lot of unanswered questions....you can use the locker rooms in the gym area for free.....and there is a rinse off shower at the pool (I think) for the kids.....I wouldn't worry too much about the bathroom situation...

Mary, Sounds like someone dropped the ball and you have a cabin for two but probably paying for 4 occupants?You have to be proactive and find out first by calling NCL disabled desk how many people a HC sleeps. Explore your cancellation rights too. I also wanted to alert you that the Majesty is known for its weekend booze cruises catering to locals. I used to live on Biscayne Bay and you could hear them for blocks. Are you on a weekend cruise?

in order to have the handicap cabin, most cruise lines make you sign documentation that an accessible cabin is needed. My sister is an amputee and uses a mobility scooter to get around and everytime we get the paperwork to fill out.

Don't be surprised if you are booted to another cabin

in order to have the handicap cabin, most cruise lines make you sign documentation that an accessible cabin is needed. My sister is an amputee and uses a mobility scooter to get around and everytime we get the paperwork to fill out.

Don't be surprised if you are booted to another cabin

I was put in a handicapped room on one of my Princess cruises and the room and washroom was much larger. I tried to book a handicapped room on another cruise and I remember reading the fine print that it was only allowed to be booked by someone disabled.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I would like to post a follow up to my initial question/concern. Thank you to all who answered and tried to help! First off, the cruise was on the Enchantment of the Seas, not the Majesty, my mistake. We had a wonderful cruise and the cabin was excellent. It was cabin 3119 on Enchantment of the Seas. The beds were configured as a king and two upper pullmans. Only one pullman was above the King bed and the other was about 5 feet away on the opposite wall. This allowed my adult Daughter a semi-private sleeping space. The room was large and the bathroom very roomy. It looked like a wheelchair could be easily maneuvered in the space. The cruise line stated that the room wasn't needed to accommodate someone with a disability. I know I have nothing to compare it to since this was our 1st cruise but I Loved it! I have never experienced such wonderful service. I felt so very pampered. The only things we had to worry about was what to do, our own personal hygiene and keeping track of our stuff! Having the luck to be assigned this large room for the price of an inside cabin was icing on the cake. Our room attendant showed us a regular inside cabin and it was much,much, smaller but I can easily see us sharing one and still having a great time. I did struggle with motion sickness at times if I was "watching" anything except the ocean so I would take a break and watch the ocean. I am dreaming about my next cruise whenever that may be.

I'm glad you had a great cruise and didn't get bumped to a different cabin. We were also offered an accessable cabin for the 3rd leg of our back-to-back-to-back on Carnival Freedom this fall. I have read that until final payment date, the ship is supposed to hold the accessable cabins for those who need them, unless it is the last cabin in that catagory.

I had to mark a check box on the reservation website agreeing to move if requested. I booked on the Carnival website so if I have issues later I can call Carnival directly. That's a drawback when you use a TA. FYI.

If we do have to move, they have to give us a cabin with at least the same catagory or higher. We have a 4J which is the inside cabin with the window on the walkway. The only higher inside is a 4K and that has french doors looking at the side of a lifeboat. Likely, we'll get an OV if we are moved.

The first 2 weeks we are in a standard inside on deck 6 so anything will be an improvement.