Is Royal transitioning concierge lounge into a suites only lounge?

Just read a description of the deck plans on deck 17 of the Oasis and it mentions a Suite lounge for the exclusive benefit of guests in Grand Suites & higher. Interestingly, when getting off the Vision this past week, we noticed new "Suite Lounge" folders sitting on the concierge desk. Furthermore, a friend on the Serenade in Europe noticed the exact same thing.

Maybe it is a coincidence with the name or is something really transitioning here from the concierge lounge being a suite & loyalty lounge to a new Suite Lounge for suite guests exclusively?

Some cruises including me believe the Concierge lounge will eventually be for Suite guests and Pinnacle members. I also believe the Diamond Lounge will be for Diamond Plus and above, leaving the Diamonds to use the 3 drinks loaded on their sea pass cards throughout the ship. This is just my opinion.

Considering that other cruise lines are setting the bar much higher for suite passengers this will probably happen. I for one hope that it does. Other cruise lines offer separate dinning areas, lounges and butlers as benefits, it's time for Royal Caribbean to up their game.

Here come the rumors again that serve no real purpose. Remember all the threads from ten or eleven months ago guaranteeing similar changes in January?

Guess what? it never happened! Sorry, but all these rumors tend to do is make the case for a diminishing of benefits for RCCL's most loyal customers!

Here come the rumors again that serve no real purpose. Remember all the threads from ten or eleven months ago guaranteeing similar changes in January?

Guess what? it never happened! Sorry, but all these rumors tend to do is make the case for a diminishing of benefits for RCCL's most loyal customers!

Not rumors, the deck plans were all posted by RC on 10/9/2014:eek:

Guess if RC are spreading rumors they must not be true!!

We eagerly await the real deck plans:)

Among mass market lines only NCL has really done this, but there are still regular suites on board NCL ships that have the Haven "premium suites". To me though, on ships with a Haven most non Haven suites are similar to Royal JR suites.

Not all like the ship within the ship idea, but I sailed in a Haven suite on the NCL Getaway past summer (got a crazy deal with drink/premium dining packages thrown in) and my wife and I loved it. Within 20 steps of our stateroom were the private courtyard w/ a small pool, hot tubs, and a sun deck, plus the Haven bar and restaurant. In the restaurant you can pretty much order whatever you want from anywhere on the ship. Plus, breakfast and lunch are served outside near the pool and inside in the restaurant via wait staff. I sail almost all Royal these days, but I will return to the Haven in 2017 for my 20th wedding anniversary. Totally unique experience for a mass market ship.

If you sail in non suites you may not like what a Royal is doing, but you need to remember it helps lower cabin prices for the rest of the ship due to the suite prices. Plus, the suites will offer additional perks that make it a little more special for those who sail them even if it's only occasionally.

Considering that other cruise lines are setting the bar much higher for suite passengers this will probably happen. I for one hope that it does. Other cruise lines offer separate dinning areas, lounges and butlers as benefits, it's time for Royal Caribbean to up their game.

Actually it looks like the CL will remain where it is with a Suite Only lounge in deck 17. That, likely, will benefit the CL and Royal Suites that are in the area the most. Not a bad idea as the CL can get a bit crowded with D+ and Suite guests in it.

I agree with the sentiment that suite perks may become better and more exclusive. On Celebrity in April the perks for the highest 3 suite categories will be wonderful, including unlimited specialty dining, premium beverage package, and unlimited internet. That will certainly be attractive. Wouldn't be surprised to see Royal Caribbean follow suit as they own Celebrity. Plus there are more and more D+ passengers, so maybe the plan is to make the CL a D+ lounge and have a Suite Only lounge somewhere else. Guess we'll see.

Among mass market lines only NCL has really done this, but there are still regular suites on board NCL ships that have the Haven "premium suites". To me though, on ships with a Haven most non Haven suites are similar to Royal JR suites.

Not all like the ship within the ship idea, but I sailed in a Haven suite on the NCL Getaway past summer (got a crazy deal with drink/premium dining packages thrown in) and my wife and I loved it. Within 20 steps of our stateroom were the private courtyard w/ a small pool, hot tubs, and a sun deck, plus the Haven bar and restaurant. In the restaurant you can pretty much order whatever you want from anywhere on the ship. Plus, breakfast and lunch are served outside near the pool and inside in the restaurant via wait staff. I sail almost all Royal these days, but I will return to the Haven in 2017 for my 20th wedding anniversary. Totally unique experience for a mass market ship.

If you sail in non suites you may not like what a Royal is doing, but you need to remember it helps lower cabin prices for the rest of the ship due to the suite prices. Plus, the suites will offer additional perks that make it a little more special for those who sail them even if it's only occasionally.

For why it's worth, MSC cruise line also has the "ship within a ship" concept with the Yacht Club on several of it's ships. It's not on all, but on several, just like Haven area on NCL....

I thought I read that Celebrity was now going to have a Suite class on their ships. Maybe someone else can fill in the info. If it works for Celebrity could RCCL be far behind, especially with Dynamic Dining?

I have been saying that the CL should only be for suite guests for a long time, Every time you go to the CL during the cocktail hours you can't get a seat from all the D+ members who claim the same seats for most of the cocktail hours every night of the cruise

I thought I read that Celebrity was now going to have a Suite class on their ships. Maybe someone else can fill in the info. If it works for Celebrity could RCCL be far behind, especially with Dynamic Dining?

Below is the list of new perks for Celebrity. Michael's Club is now the Concierge lounge strictly for suite guests sailing in Celebrity suites or higher and Zenith members. No dedicated lounge for Elite + and below. I can see RCI matching this with a lounge for suite guests and Pinnacle.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/14037410_CEL_Suites_FAQs.pdf

Edited by cruisingator2

I have been saying that the CL should only be for suite guests for a long time, Every time you go to the CL during the cocktail hours you can't get a seat from all the D+ members who claim the same seats for most of the cocktail hours every night of the cruise

When you go into a concierge lounge, how can you immediately distinguish the difference between a D+ passenger and a suite passenger. What about a suite passenger who happens to be a higher level C & A member. Also, how would you know how many hours a person spends in the CL?

M

Why should a Suite Guest on first RCCL Cruise

be entitled to a higher level lounge area,

any more than all D+ that have been on many many more RCCL cruises

to earn they're lounge benefits.

A D+ could have had a suite on every cruise,

except last current one in a interior,

and not be able to get in to top level lounge.

A D+ could have done cruises on all NEW credit system

without earning the benefits doing the multiple weighted old credit system with 2,3,4 day cruises like many have done out of Florida.

Compare cruisers in a interior every cruise....

with cruisers in a balcony every cruise.

The balcony cruisers have spent much more money

to earn same D+ lounge benefits.

If spending money is the measure

then RCCL should maybe base the lounge benefits on total $ spent over time with cruise line.

What other unfair approaches are there?

Or fairer approaches?

Some one is always

"'not" getting appropriate benefits and short changed.

There are no exceptions!

There is no grandfather clause?

Like age plus number of cruises completed.

We pay and stay with RCCL based on benefits earned,

and they take it away.

Where is the rationale for the Loyal Royalists though?

Edited by ssb

Do Princess and HAL have that "ship within a ship" structures for their suite pax?

No, Princess, HAL, Carnival, P&O, Costa, etc do not have a "ship within a ship" concept. Celebrity will have a new suite program for Suite guests beginning Spring 2015, that includes some suite only areas and dining venues, but not totally separate facilities like NCLs Haven or MSCs Yacht Club, both of which are only on some ships in each line e...

When you go into a concierge lounge, how can you immediately distinguish the difference between a D+ passenger and a suite passenger. What about a suite passenger who happens to be a higher level C & A member. Also, how would you know how many hours a person spends in the CL?

M

Excellent question....you'd have to be in the lounge the whole time to know who shouldn't have been there that long in their opinion. The FREE drinks normally cost about a 250K investment over years, so I think we should enjoy our benefits. Or take less cruises and get Presidential suites all the time.

Because they probably paid enough $$$ to warrant the service

When you buy a 1st class ticket for a flight you get a bed, pyjamas, silver service and all the trimmings. (International flight)

Maybe fly once, but $$$ to get what they paid for

Someone flies 10 times in economy and pays less $$$ and gets TV pizza packet meals.

Both if in a program get the same miles for distance flown, however MR 10 flights has 10 times more miles..

A D+ could have had a suite on every cruise,

except last current one in a interior,

and not be able to get in to top level lounge.

Diamond lounge is the top level lounge, just as good if not better than CL

So not really a big deal

A D+ could have done cruises on all NEW credit system

without earning the benefits doing the multiple weighted old credit system with 2,3,4 day cruises like many have done out of Florida.

How people have achieved their levels is a factor which no matter how you paint it. (10x6 =60) (6x10 =60) will be achieved by spending big $$$$ or sailing frequently, either way they are at that level. I really don't care how someone achieved their status. Good luck to them and they deserve the exact benefits they are entitled to.

Compare cruisers in a interior every cruise....

with cruisers in a balcony every cruise.

The balcony cruisers have spent much more money

to earn same D+ lounge benefits.

Agreed, no fair way of distinguishing points between the two. Only $$$ could do that

If spending money is the measure

then RCCL should maybe base the lounge benefits on total $ spent over time with cruise line.

You have hit it on the head with this. This is truly how it is being measured and in essence always has been this way

E.g x10 7 night cruises a year at $1000 per cruise $10,000.00 in a D1 70pts

1 cruise in an OS at $10,000 for 7 night cruise $10,000.00 14pts

Who is better off ????

The reward in the long run is for the frequent cruiser as they now have 56pts more than MR 1 cruise.

What other unfair approaches are there?

Or fairer approaches?

What is fair for one, will not be fair to another, there will never be a perfect system.

Or maybe there is

Gold Lounge

Emerald Lounge

Platinum Lounge

Diamond Lounge

Diamond + Lounge

Pinnacle Lounge

Suite Lounge

Problem solved:D

And you only are allowed to use that tier lounge dedicated to your status.

Would never work as not enough room on any of the ships

Maybe problem not solved:p

Some one is always

"'not" getting appropriate benefits and short changed.

There are no exceptions!

There is no grandfather clause?

Like age plus number of cruises completed.

We pay and stay with RCCL based on benefits earned,

and they take it away.

Where is the rationale for the Loyal Royalists though?

Very difficult to please all:cool:

Nothing wrong with adding a lounge for the suites...However... making any change to where the D & D+'s can go that have earned it through being loyal to Royal (regardless of how they earned it) is "wrong". RCI wouldn't be where they are today with out them !!

Although I believe that the D+ cruisers will be banned from the CL in the near future, I don't believe the Suite lounge is a replacement for the CL. I think the Suite lounge will be a place where the suite passengers can wait and perhaps get another drink while they wait for their tables in the Suite dining room.

I do believe that breakfast and lunch in the CL are history. The suite passengers will just go to their dining room. More bad news for the D+ group.

Maybe go the route of Celebrity regarding points earn't relative to stateroom booked.

imagejpg1_zpsefb0c8c0.jpg

In reference to being in an interior paying less, as to a balcony paying more

Points earn't would then be relative to $$$ spent. Rather than as now they would get exactly the same points.

The program would have to be completely revamped but there would be some fairness, for some anyway.

It obviously works on Celebrity:)

I am not for or against BTW:cool:

Maybe go the route of Celebrity regarding points earn't relative to stateroom booked.

imagejpg1_zpsefb0c8c0.jpg

In reference to being in an interior paying less, as to a balcony paying more

Points earn't would then be relative to $$$ spent. Rather than as now they would get exactly the same points.

The program would have to be completely revamped but there would be some fairness, for some anyway.

It obviously works on Celebrity:)

I am not for or against BTW:cool:

Hey Graham,

I think whatever way they decide to go (if they do decide to change) there will always be inequities in the system.

Using the system that Celebrity has someone sailing in a JS on Vision at $800pp would get 35 points for a 7 day cruise while someone staying in an inside on Quantum, Anthem or Oasis class could be paying more than that pp for the same 7 day cruise and only getting 14 points.

If all the ships had the same pricing structure then it would work great but currently there are huge differences in prices between the classes of ships.

I'm for keeping the current system, treating everyone equally and then rewarding those that are spending more on the suites with the extra perks or moving entirely to a points per $ spent system which would certainly be beneficial to those of us that travel at peak times of the year.

This one speaks to me because we actually were in a GS from our first RCCL Cruise. Before booking, there was a big discussion that we could pay roughly 3x the price of a Balcony cabin and get a significantly bigger room with all this added stuff attached, PLUS we get double the C&A points. Enough said!!! Three times we figured we were saving enough driving to the cruise that it made the extra investment worthwhile.

And not surprisingly, RCCL snagged us hook, line and sinker. It's been at least a GS every time since! Oh, sure, we may not go dropping a load of cash in the shops or on spa treatments; but each time we're on the ship they can expect us to book an excursion or two, a specialty restaurant or two, Coke passes, and DW gets a pedicure religiously. I wouldn't say we expect a certain level of service, but if it's offered like this we're certainly pleased to take advantage, and RCCL in return gets to bruise our bank account pretty well.

Will also say chatting with some high-up Pinnacles in the CL they have said, word for word, that we're "doing it right" considering our ages (if we haven't been the youngest couple in the CL we've been in the running) and how frequently we get the chance to cruise. There was absolutely zero resentment (to our faces :D) that we were Gold and in the CL. In turn, do we resent a P or D+ who is in an inside cabin? Absolutely not, because they still paid a LOT more than we have to date to earn their status.