No Gratuities

dj63

Yes, but what if the gratuities were included in the cruise fare?

I will bet they will still be NCF

some line already include gratuities in the fare & I bet the TA does not get a commission on that amount

Edited by LHT28

MSC discourages tipping. All other major lines, you are supposed to tip.

I don't agree that you are supposed to tip on all other lines. The premium lines say there is no tipping but you are also paying a premium in the fare. I could be wrong but they also say anyone is free to give something if they so choose.

The mass market lines we'get sailed on say that if you pre-pay you gratuities, one is also free to tip over and above that if you so choose. No where have I ever read any line saying you are supposed to tip.

There are two terms that are sometimes used interchangeably and adds to confusion. As I see it, and probably others, gratuities/daily service charges are what people should be paying. Tips are, for those who have paid those gratuities, are anything above a person chooses to give.

It seems very patronising to insist people do not remove gratuities. It's an American culture to tip automatically. There are other cultures in the world where this is not the practice. Some prefer to tip when they receive service above and beyond the norm. What staff are required to do with these chosen gratuities is not the guest's concern. After all there are automatic tips on just about everything else eg drinks and a significant amount is generated from this source. Double dipping is wrong and should be left up to the guest to decide.:mad:

Anyway this subject has been done to death on these boards time and again. There will never be consensus.

When in Rome...

MSC discourages tipping. All other major lines, you are supposed to tip.

Once again not true, it depends on where in the world you are, for example in USA on Princess you are expected to tip, in Australia, on the same line you aren't.

So how about "when in Rome".

I will be totally blunt. If you can not afford or are unwilling to pay the daily service charge - don't cruise. Do a land vacation at Motel 6.

DON

Why should they, for as long as the lines let them remove the tips, they're free to do as they please.

Do I have to add the term ugly Australian to the ugly American term I use for people who display ignorance or arrogance when travelling? Lol

I would prefer that the "ugly American" term be eliminated instead! ;)

After all, there are "ugly ..INSERT YOUR COUNTRY HERE..." from everywhere. :D

Taxes, port fees & gratuities are non commissionable so it would have no effect on what the TA receives

You seem to be missing the point - if fares were raised to replace the removable service charge- taxes the line pays would go up with the increase in fares, as would commissions - which are based on fares.

The salaries which the lines pay to the staff - and which are reportable to the home countries - would be taxed at a higher rate. The - certainly those paid in cash - are not reportable - so paying the staff a "living wage" would benefit the home countries, but the net retained by the staff would be less -- if only the service charge were rolled into salaries. For the staff to have the same net, the fares would have to go up by more than the amount of the service charges.

The result would be for the passengers to pay more - while losing the effective method to protest poor service.

Finally, the lines have the right to conduct their business the way they see fit - people who cannot tolerate the concept of tipping have the right to take their business elsewhere.

Finally, the lines have the right to conduct their business the way they see fit - .

And many see fit to carry on their business by permitting passengers to remove tips, and I guess those who don't like that can take their business elsewhere too:cool:, rather than abusing people who choose to do what the line lets them do.

Why should they, for as long as the lines let them remove the tips, they're free to do as they please.

And that's my point. The cruise lines condone and tolerate this practice by default since they offer it as an option. End of story.

Edited by mildew1951

And that's my point exactly. The cruise lines condone and tolerate this practice by default since they offer it as an option. End of story.

Seems to hard for some to grasp, also destroy the old "When in Rome" chestnut, as those who are removing tips are doing exactly what the system is designed to allow.

Seems to me the ones who need to look at a different form of holiday are those who get bent out of shape over tip removers, after all they're the ones who don't like the system in that "Rome".

Translation to posts #86 and #87: "I know it's stiffing the crew but the line lets me do it so I will." How considerate. :mad:

If the line lets people do it then they're the ones stiffing the crew.

Pretty simple really.

You seem to be missing the point - if fares were raised to replace the removable service charge- taxes the line pays would go up with the increase in fares, as would commissions - which are based on fares.

I am sure the cruise lines that included the gratuities in the fare have the accounting dept call it something that is not taxable to the corporation

so would be a NCF as far as the TA commissions go

Ask your TA if they get a commission based on the full fare you pay... I bet they do not

I have no problem leaving the auto Gratuity in place so it is a moot point for me

YMMV

Pretty simple really.

Seriously? Blaming someone else for one's stinginess? Not at all surprised that some people would stoop to such excuses. :rolleyes:

Edited by sloopsailor

Pretty simple really.

If you believe that the cruise line is doing an injustice to their crew members with the current pay system then why continue to give them your business? That's pretty simple. T

NCL lets you remove gratuities IF you can think up an unresolved service failure on your request to shore side. How nice. Being cheap AND sticking an unwarranted complaint on the crew member's rating. Opps, that's their fault that they let people be cheap and nasty.

Everytime I log onto CC I am astonished to see that this thread is still active. Very entertaining, better than many of the new TV shows.

Everyone here understands the behavior expected of cruisers. Pages and pages of discourse will not change anyone's behavior.

If a cruiser doesn't want to pay the staff the expected amount for their service, the cruiseline permits this behavior. However, just because you are allowed to do something doesn't mean you should do it. But these people justify all types of behavior that allows them to feel good about themselves.

I try to avoid these people because invariably they will exhibit other boorish and inconsiderate behavior. That's just who they are! :(

Pretty simple really.

And I thought I had seen every excuse for cheapness under the sun. This one takes it to a new level, as it not only takes pay out of the pocket of a hardworking person, it also makes them look like they weren't doing their job.

Why not just admit that you have no concern for the welfare of others?

The fun part is that staff remembers the people who stiff them and that type of information gets passed along as crew rotate round to various ships and lines.

I hope you lock up your toothbrush.

And calling someone crummy because they exercise the option given to them by the cruise line is pretty crummy IMHO

It is not an option the cruise lines wish you to take. Some make it very difficult, such as NCL. Luddite is absolutely correct, it is a crummy choice.

The its not our culture argument is nonsense. Your culture charges more up front. When someone decides to take advantage of low prices, whether on a cruise or on land, they are embracing the American Way, which includes tipping the staff.

Removal of tips for no reason is abusing the system. And more importantly, abusing that cabin steward who you think its so nice to see everyday and greet with a smile.

Seems to hard for some to grasp, also destroy the old "When in Rome" chestnut, as those who are removing tips are doing exactly what the system is designed to allow.

Seems to me the ones who need to look at a different form of holiday are those who get bent out of shape over tip removers, after all they're the ones who don't like the system in that "Rome".

The lines allow removing of tips bc the American system is tipping for good service. The system is set up to allow Americans to adjust their tips bc they have received poor service. It is not set up for australians to not tip for good service. Bc of your ridiculous attitude, NCL now only allows you to fill a form out stating the service problem and then credits your credit card AFTER the cruise. So in order to remove tips for the "It's not my culture" reason, you would have to choose to lie and say you had received poor service.

This would make one a liar and a cheapskate.

When that list gets circulated among the staff that shows which cabins have gone and had the daily service charge removed, do not whine when your cabin gets skipped on service, or the attendant comes right when you are getting ready, or your room service delivery takes an hour to get there and is not what you wanted, or your assigned table at dinner is the slowest and last to be served and your food is not what you wanted or is cold, or your bags do not show up at debarkation...You opted to not get service because you removed the service charge...