Shorts in MDR

Mistizoom

Quite a contentious topic when brought up on a specific cruiseline board.

A quick scan of dress code threads on the Carnival or Royal Caribbean board will reveal many claiming to get away with wearing shorts--and just as many responses that have witnessed enforcement of the no-shorts rule at the MDR door. On the "next step up" lines such as Princess, HAL or Celebrity only a very small minority disregards the MDR evening dress code; even when creatively interpreted it does not allow shorts. I have been assuming of course you are inquiring about wearing shorts in the MDR at dinner; for breakfast and lunch even Cunard doesn't care what you are wearing.

As a footnote: if you are considering a European cruise I understand on the German-based lines that not only a dress code but most other common rules of decorum are essentially non-existent.

Edited by fishywood

Yes, I'm was referring to dinner specifically, sorry to be less than clear. I am a "rule-follower" so am not interested in getting away with something not allowed. I guess we will be sticking with NCL, as DH gets hives from the idea of pants, never mind formal wear. Interesting to know about the German-based cruise lines!

Shorts are allowed on Carnival in the MDR on non-Elegant nights.

I looked at Carnival and it isn't very clear, it says long dress shorts are ok, but regular shorts aren't ok?

What to Wear?

Casual attire is the order of the day. We suggest shorts, sundresses, tank tops, etc. for the ladies, and for men; shorts, polo shirts, T-shirts, etc. will do. We suggest you wear rubber-soled, low heeled or flat shoes for extra traction while onboard. The use of any footwear with wheels, including but not limited, to Heelys© shoes, is prohibited on board our ships. For dining you may want to dress up a bit and/or bring along a light sports jacket or cardigan.

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido Restaurant.

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Special Sailings

For Canada/New England/Alaska cruises: Sweaters, lightweight jackets and raincoats are suggested. Casual clothes that can be layered easily are highly recommended. Bring a heavier sweater if you are traveling to the glaciers, along with a raincoat and umbrella, because it is often cold and windy in such areas.

For South America and Europe cruises: Comfortable shoes and a just-in-case raincoat. Bring a sweater if you are traveling to the glaciers, along with a raincoat and umbrella, because it is often cold and windy in such areas. Special note: It is essential that you wear the proper apparel when visiting the Vatican and other religious sites (no bare legs or shoulders).

Edited by Mistizoom

The only men's shorts on Carnival I've seen in the MDR at dinner time have been 'golf' shorts. Basically a tailored short, such as a traditional Bermuda short. Not basketball or cargo shorts.

Edited by SadieN

I looked at Carnival and it isn't very clear, it says long dress shorts are ok, but regular shorts aren't ok?

Both my son and husband have worn cargo type shorts with no problem (as well as others I have seen in the MDR on Carnival). They just can't be basketball or gym shorts.

Long dress shorts are tailored Bermuda shorts, like suit pants cut off just above the knee.

Not many men wear those these days (decades ago, I knew a man who bought tailored suits and had them cut off the legs to a "Bermuda shorts" length. It drove the tailor batty, but he did it.)

Our latest experiences on Princess ships have demonstrated that some maitre d's are allowing almost anything goes, including shorts on casual nights. I have to resist the urge to go up to someone wearing shorts and saying, "You must be the unfortunate folks whose luggage was lost."

There are other options on Princess if you want to wear shorts at night. Honestly, there's nothing wrong with eating in the Horizon Court (buffet) or getting something from the poolside pizzeria or grill (we often have their grilled chicken sandwiches for lunch). Rather than going up to the MDR and hoping the head waiter doesn't bar you from there until you change, why not just avail yourself where it's less troublesome?

To the OP, does that mean your husband won't go to weddings, etc.? Just curious.

The only men's shorts on Carnival I've seen in the MDR at dinner time have been 'golf' shorts. Basically a tailored short, such as a traditional Bermuda short. Not basketball or cargo shorts.

You aren't looking close enough. Cargo shorts are everywhere on Carnival. Nine cruises on seven ships since the rules changed and I've seen and worn them on all.

Long dress shorts are tailored Bermuda shorts, like suit pants cut off just above the knee.

Not many men wear those these days (decades ago, I knew a man who bought tailored suits and had them cut off the legs to a "Bermuda shorts" length. It drove the tailor batty, but he did it.)

I had a college professor who did this. He told us he didn't want us thinking all professors were stuffed shirts! :-)

Where would he wear these suits? :confused: In a business setting?

Interesting.

I have only cruised on Cunard. You will be turned away from the MDR with shorts at dinner, jackets also are required for most nights. If you don't want to dress up the buffet restaurant is for you, but do beware that no shorts rule applies on all Cunard ships after 6pm. I have noticed however that the dress rules are more relaxed on World cruise segments than other cruises such as Transatlantic.

Our latest experiences on Princess ships have demonstrated that some maitre d's are allowing almost anything goes, including shorts on casual nights. I have to resist the urge to go up to someone wearing shorts and saying, "You must be the unfortunate folks whose luggage was lost."

And their wearing shorts impacts you how?

If a ship wants to enforce a dress code it is for them to do it, not the passengers. Some people get their knickers in a bunch about some pretty trivial things. It's too bad people wouldn't just enjoy their vacation and not worry about other people so much.

And their wearing shorts impacts you how?

If a ship wants to enforce a dress code it is for them to do it, not the passengers. Some people get their knickers in a bunch about some pretty trivial things. It's too bad people wouldn't just enjoy their vacation and not worry about other people so much.

"Enforcing" a dress code only happens when passengers fail to comply. It can be said that it is also too bad that people will book a cruise which has a dress code and then refuse to comply.

Where would he wear these suits? :confused: In a business setting?

Interesting.

Yes, he did, daily. He was well known for wearing shorts suits in the summer. Kind of like this guy, but with a jacket: Bermuda Shorts

Edited by calliopecruiser

"Enforcing" a dress code only happens when passengers fail to comply. It can be said that it is also too bad that people will book a cruise which has a dress code and then refuse to comply.

A dress code, like everything else, is only as strong as the will to enforce it.

A dress code, like everything else, is only as strong as the will to enforce it.

And a community with people who voluntarily comply might be seen as superior to one with a strong police force -- but I suppose there are people who prefer to be forced to comply with customs than to voluntarily do so.

On Carnival, the website says one thing, but the Fun Times will state something else. It states that no gym shorts are allowed. Any other type of short is. My husband wore his cargo shorts and he felt weird. He's used to wearing long pants, but decided to chance it. As the Fun Times stated, non-gym shorts are A-OK on non-formal nights.

Thanks, this is good information. I'll take a look for some pics of the Fun Times.

And a community with people who voluntarily comply might be seen as superior to one with a strong police force -- but I suppose there are people who prefer to be forced to comply with customs than to voluntarily do so.

It might be but then again it might not.

As for the dress code in MDRs, I think the custom you would like to see has long since gone. Personally, what others wear to dinner doesn't impact my enjoyment of the dinner whatsoever.

It might be but then again it might not.

As for the dress code in MDRs, I think the custom you would like to see has long since gone. Personally, what others wear to dinner doesn't impact my enjoyment of the dinner whatsoever.

I certainly do not care what other people wear to dinner, or anywhere else for that matter. I do have reservations, however, about the attitude of people who will only adhere to norms if they are forced.