Elegant Night Dress Code for men

Going on the Oasis in November. First time on Royal. Can someone clarify the dress code or give me a link where I can read about it? My husband is not a suit person. Will slacks and a dressy button up shirt be allowed or is it suit and tie mandatory?

He will be fine. Nothing is mandatory on Royal.

If you totally don't want to "dress up", there are many other eating venues! The "dress code" is only for the dining room...and they don't really enforce it!

And since formal dress is a suggestion and not a requirement, you needn't limit your dining to those other venues on formal night. What you have described as your husband's preferred attire will be perfectly acceptable in the main dining room and you should not feel at all out of place in the main dining room or elsewhere on the ship.:)

I'm curious -- why do so many people have such an aversion to the formal night? Does "vacation" = "Abandon all reason and normal societal decency" ?? For formal night, go in whatever "formal" means to you! If that means clean Levi's and a freshly-ironed Izod polo, so be it! Enjoy it for what it is -- an evening to get "dressed up" and HAVE FUN!

I'm curious -- why do so many people have such an aversion to the formal night? Does "vacation" = "Abandon all reason and normal societal decency" ?? For formal night, go in whatever "formal" means to you! If that means clean Levi's and a freshly-ironed Izod polo, so be it! Enjoy it for what it is -- an evening to get "dressed up" and HAVE FUN!

Some of us have to "dress up" for work on a daily basis and don't want to while on vacation. Seems simple. Oh, and why does the Izod polo need to be freshly ironed? I thought I had to sneak my iron on if I wanted it with me....:D

If you totally don't want to "dress up", there are many other eating venues! The "dress code" is only for the dining room...and they don't really enforce it!

On formal night, the same dress code applies to the specialty restaurants as well, at least that's what I gather from our Daily Compass. With that, it amazes me the disrespect seen in the MDR on formal night. Your Husband will be fine, no worries.

Some of us do not believe that getting dressed up is having fun. In our younger years we were required to attend too many formal affairs where dressing up was mandatory. Since Royal does not enforce the 'suggested' dress codes, we are probably in the majority.

On formal night, the same dress code applies to the specialty restaurants as well, at least that's what I gather from our Daily Compass. With that, it amazes me the disrespect seen in the MDR on formal night. Your Husband will be fine, no worries.

Actually, the suggested dress in the specialty restaurants, every night including "formal" nights, is "smart casual" not "formal. A more careful reading of your Cruise Compass should confirm this. "Disrespect" may be too harsh a word to describe some diners choice of attire on "formal" night. :)

Actually, the suggested dress in the specialty restaurants, every night including "formal" nights, is "smart casual" not "formal. A more careful reading of your Cruise Compass should confirm this. "Disrespect" may be too harsh a word to describe some diners choice of attire on "formal" night. :)

If the ship has a formal attire evening and gusts show up for dinner wearing shorts, tee shirts, and flip flops, (I've seen it on every cruise I've been on) I would certainly consider that a sign of disrespect. Of course, that's just my opinion.

On formal nights, it's suggested (not required) to "dress up". On Allure, they also suggest that the formal evenings apply to the specialty restaurants. That's what I gather from reading this:

i-nRdHMZM.jpg

In what you have enclosed in red actually says "acceptable" and not suggested.:)

Unless things have change very dramatically in the last 6 months, formal night on RCCL ships we see about 75% of the passengers in very dressy clothes. Most, not all, but most men are wearing a jacket to dinner. Most, not all, but most women are wearing glittery clothes, short fancy dresses, and I'd say about 25% wear long dresses.

I'm not telling anyone to wear or not wear any certain type of clothing. I just want to get the information into perspective: formal night on RCCl is mosly "dressed up" people.

In what you have enclosed in red actually says "acceptable" and not suggested.:)

Not singleing you out for any reason, your post just presented an observation.

It also says, "Tonight is formal night........." It does not say tonight is a suggested formal night. The suggestions are for what to wear that is acceptable.;):)

I understand that many people like to dress up on Formal nights. I also understand that many people (myself included) absolutely do not want to dress up. That doesn't mean I would wear tank tops, shorts and flip flops, but I won't be wearing a jacket and tie.

I'm not sure why the cruise lines can't compromise. Have formal night but offer alternative locations or floors of the MDR where you don't have to play dress up. I pay the same cruise fare as everyone else so I don't see why I should be relegated to the buffet for two out of seven nights. Plus one of those nights is typically the lobster night. I'm on the Navigator of the Seas in May 2015. I believe the MDR has three floors. Designate one or two floors as Casual Vacation attire and the remainder can be for folks who like to parade around in their finest!

I understand that many people like to dress up on Formal nights. I also understand that many people (myself included) absolutely do not want to dress up. That doesn't mean I would wear tank tops, shorts and flip flops, but I won't be wearing a jacket and tie.

I'm not sure why the cruise lines can't compromise. Have formal night but offer alternative locations or floors of the MDR where you don't have to play dress up. I pay the same cruise fare as everyone else so I don't see why I should be relegated to the buffet for two out of seven nights. Plus one of those nights is typically the lobster night. I'm on the Navigator of the Seas in May 2015. I believe the MDR has three floors. Designate one or two floors as Casual Vacation attire and the remainder can be for folks who like to parade around in their finest!

No need to delegate a floor - RCL doesn't care what you wear and is (finally) catering to public demand. The only people who care what you wear to the MDR are sitting behind keyboards right now wishing they were on a cruise.