The Happy Side of Azamara

geocruiser

OK, the past few week on this board everyone has been dealing with the new Le Club Voyage. A lot of us unhappy, some like it, and some it didn't matter to them. Some of us may not sail Azamara again, some will. So we al might have our different points of view. BUT, I think we all can bring to mind at least one Azamara experience that brought a smile to our faces.

So, here is mine. I was on Azamara Journey at the buffet looking at a Asian dish that had shellfish in it. One of the chefs saw me looking at it and said it was good and that I might want to try it. I told him I could not because I can not eat any thing with shellfish or sauces made from shellfish. And that it had been such a long time since I had any Asian food. He told me to wait right there and he would make a veggie dish that would be safe for me to eat. And he did!! He was so fast and it was great tasting. He and the food brought a big smile to my face.

OK smiles only. What has made you smile?

On the Journey, in the late afternoon/early evening, we went to the Looking Glass for a relaxing drink before getting dressed for dinner. There was a large sign in the lounge saying VIP EVENT. so we sat at one of the booths on the side of the ship, near the entrance. A server quickly came over and we asked him "who are the VIPs? " He replied " I don't know, but YOU are my VIPs!" And he treated us as such with snacks, and excellent service for the rest of the cruise.

A small thing, but it felt sincere, and was much appreciated.

Actually the first "welcome Home" form Marnelli, Gema, Rhollie and Ellen in security when we embark always brings a big smile to our face !!!

They really are lovely people aren't they. But sad to report that it appears that Gema has recently left Azamara. She will be a big loss to Quest.

They really are lovely people aren't they. But sad to report that it appears that Gema has recently left Azamara. She will be a big loss to Quest.

Yes, she retired, but word has it that she may be coming back. Fingers crossed !! (although she deserves a great retirement)

Actually the first "welcome Home" form Marnelli, Gema, Rhollie and Ellen in security when we embark always brings a big smile to our face !!!

Us too. A few weeks ago Marnelli told us that sadly Gema is unlikely to do another contract on Quest as she needs to spend time at home with her family. She will be missed.

So many great memories though, from Chef Fabio giving me his secret truffled mushroom soup recipe, our special Chocolate Bombes arranged by Russ, even though they were no longer on the Menu and delivered to our cabins, red roses from Guy, an itinerary change which was very good for us, invites to the top suites special events, even though we were in an ordinary balcony, a very special White Night .....never to be forgotten, Captain Carl getting us in early to Barcelona so we could go for dinner in our favourite restaurant, taking Max out for lunch in Batumi Georgia recently and I suppose I'd better mention that I met Hazel on Quest in 2011 and we have now become cruising buddies and lifelong friends. So many happy memories of Quest and the wonderful crew.....it makes me smile.

Smiles only? Read my two trip reports. I'm still smiling. I'd like to add an extra though. You know how security people on some ships are officious and forbidding and how it's a chore to go through the scanner line? Not so on Azamara. Their security crew is all-business (as I'd hope they would be!!!) but they're also warm and welcoming people. Bernadette and Christina on the Journey always wished me a good day as I left the ship, and if time permitted, they always wanted to get the news at the end of the day about what Rob and I did in port. Incredible people, those two. Azamara really makes the greeting "Welcome home!" a reality.

I second all those lovely memories that Lottie A has related.

Think I am still working off those million calories from those divine Chocolate Bombes.

But apart from specific kindnesses fom the crew from the captain down and there have been far too many to post here, it is the feeling of being among friends that I experienced on my very first Quest cruise in May 2008 when all the crew were unknown to me.

I have experienced the warm and fuzzy feeling on all of my Quest cruises since and it is very special indeed. I have been lucky enough to enjoy every cruise I have taken on all cruise lines except one when I contacted Norovirus twice on one voyage and no other ship replicates Azamara's indefinable qualities.

And Lottie, your friendship is also obviously a highlight

So many, but one that brought more than a smile to my face was when I asked HD Philip Herbert if some friends and I could do a sail in from the bridge (sadly prohibited now following Costa Concordia) and he said he'd see what he could do. He fixed it for us and we did the sail into Hong Kong one foggy morning and I caught this shot from the bridge wing. Impressively Philip made sure he was on the bridge at 6.45am to serve us coffee and pastries. How good is that? An experience I will always remember.

imagejpg1_zps6caeecc8.jpg

Phil

On our Mediterranean cruise we were scheduled to stop in Santorini followed by Capri. There were 5 other ships scheduled for Santorini on the same day with expected loooong lines for the cable car. Capt Carl announced the first night that we were switching Santorini and Capri so that there would only be one other small ship in port with us in Santorini. Absolutely no lines!

Another smile. We were in a suite and I asked for Bloody Mary mix so I could make Bloody Mary's with the included vodka. Butler said no mix on board but he would take care of me. Brought me all the ingredients so I could make my Bloody Mary from scratch each morning. Love breakfast with my Bloody Mary on my balcony. That's when I know I am on vacation!

Hi Everyone,

My fondest Azamara experience, was having Dinner with Captain Johannes and my family when we sailed on Quest in 2011. Not only was it a wonderful evening, but something much better happened - we established a valued friendship, and occasionally speak on the phone. Interestingly, we do not talk much about Azamara... but how we are doing in our personal lives. When my Dad passed away, both Bill Leiber & Johannes were amongst the first to call and offer their condolonces. That meant a great deal to me, and their kindness will never be forgotten.

I'm telling you folks, you will be hard pressed to meet someone finer than Captain Johannes, and I hope you have the opportunity to sail with him at some point. While we have no plans to sail with Azamara, I sincerely hope we'll meet again, sometime soon !

Edited by Host Andy

So many, but one that brought more than a smile to my face was when I asked HD Philip Herbert if some friends and I could do a sail in from the bridge (sadly prohibited now following Costa Concordia) and he said he'd see what he could do. He fixed it for us and we did the sail into Hong Kong one foggy morning and I caught this shot from the bridge wing. Impressively Philip made sure he was on the bridge at 6.45am to serve us coffee and pastries. How good is that? An experience I will always remember.

Phil

That is an incredible photo !!!

What wonderful Happy Azamara stories from everyone.

Phxazzcruisers

That is one great picture.

Host Andy,

Very touching that they were there for you at such a sad time in your life. True friends like them are hard to find.

Andy- Love your post.. four captains and we all have our favorites..i had lunch along with Johaness summer of 2013 when he flew to Europe to take over for one cruise. Something he has done in the past. he leaves home on holiday to help out.. The lunch was speacil. all seafood overlooking the city of Seville. another great memory or two-Russ-the dancing fool- dancing with all the ladies

There are so many things that the crew have done to make us feel special that it is hard to think of just one.

My husband likes coffee ice cream. After dinner when the waiters take your dessert orders, my husband always asks if they have coffee ice cream available. Usually on the first night, they do not.....but, it is brought out for his dessert every night there after.

Phil

What a wonderful photo and story to go with...we love Azamara and are looking forward to our next cruise!!

Phil

What a great pic and story to go with. It was really dark for our sail-in to Hong Kong, but I was standing on the balcony experiencing it all. Wonderful memories...I love Azamara and am looking forward to my next cruise!!

Phil

Hi Phil,

How are you ? Hope all is well. I've always loved this photo. Assuming it meets with your approval, Azamara should absolutely use it in one of their brochures. Let's hope they consider it !

Edited by Host Andy

I lazily got to breakfast after the smoothie bar had closed and the attendant was cleaning everything down, I said it was no problem and that it was my problem and that I should make it to breakfast earlier but he insisted that I was on vacation and I should just tell him what I would like and he would have great pleasure in making me the smoothie and delivering it to me.

What Azamarvellous service!

Lynne :)