Would You Ever Knock On A Cabin Door

ducklite

BUT that was the point of my question.

Do you run to 'teacher' to tell all the mis-steps you might observe during your cruise? Clearly, I do not.

Well, I clearly do understand the awkward position that you found yourself in -- through no fault of your own. And for the record, no, I don't run and "tattle" on people -- I'm not five years old.

However, I do take violations of trust seriously. The situation, as you described it, definitely falls into that category -- or, at least it would for me. Discovering that the person you trust to be in your room (at all hours) is taking money to let complete strangers walk around your cabin, when you are not there? I would not want him in (or even near) my cabin, for the rest of the cruise. :eek:

If I had found a butler or cabin steward in my suite giving unauthorized tours, I don't care how much time it took, he would have been reported. Not reporting him gave him tacit approval to continue doing this and violating other passengers space. And how do you know if these "tours" ever resulted in things going missing from a cabin?

I think if there was ever a situation where I wanted to see a specific cabin, I would leave a note for the inhabitant, inquiring if it would be possible to see the cabin, at a time convenient to them. It would never occur to me to just knock on the door.

I think if there was ever a situation where I wanted to see a specific cabin, I would leave a note for the inhabitant, inquiring if it would be possible to see the cabin, at a time convenient to them. It would never occur to me to just knock on the door.

I'd throw it away without response. If I wanted to see a particular cabin, I would wait until the occupants had vacated it the last day and take a peak then, or ask if there was a comparable cabin empty at guest services and if they could let me take a look at it.

I left a polite sticky note on my neighbor's door asking them to please shut off their balcony light when they turned in. They did. No problem.

While viewing Tracy Arm from our balcony, I lost my glove to the balcony below. As it was about 11 AM and as everyone seemed to be out viewing the glacier, I did knock once and asked them if they would kindly retrieve it. They were happy to. Again, no problem.

I would not ask to see another's cabin, however.

I left a polite sticky note on my neighbor's door asking them to please shut off their balcony light when they turned in. They did. No problem.

While viewing Tracy Arm from our balcony, I lost my glove to the balcony below. As it was about 11 AM and as everyone seemed to be out viewing the glacier, I did knock once and asked them if they would kindly retrieve it. They were happy to. Again, no problem.

I would not ask to see another's cabin, however.

I think that leaving the note about the light is perfectly reasonable. I also think that asking them to retrieve your glove during the middle of the day was also reasonable. My OP was more towards the people who want to see a cabin. (Or swap cabins, which is really nervy IMHO.)

Those people had a lot of nerve.

Some of us have reasons for choosing certain cabins.

After telling them politely in a friendly way that we were already unpacked so would not change cabins, we thought that would be the end of it.

Unfortunately, not. :o

The next day, another knock on the door from their friends next door. This time saying they noticed we didn't use our balcony so wanted to know if we'd give them two of our deck chairs and/or agree to having the cabin steward unlock the door between so they could also use our balcony. :rolleyes:

LuLu

I'd throw it away without response. If I wanted to see a particular cabin, I would wait until the occupants had vacated it the last day and take a peak then, or ask if there was a comparable cabin empty at guest services and if they could let me take a look at it.

Well, as much as a response, even if it were in the negative, would be appreciated, nothing beyond the note inquiring would be one.

Hey, can't say no if you don't ask.

However, I would never just knock on the door and do the "hey, can I see your cabin".

However, the only cabins I'd like to look at are the suites. Since its not on my budget for a cruise in a suite anytime in the near future, there is no need.

I would never knock on a door and ask to see a cabin, but I do admit to really wanting to see the cabin we are booked in for our April Panama Canal Cruise. We booked two of the new OV cabins on deck 3 that were added when she was solsticized. I tried posting on our roll call but no one is in one of those cabins. We may try and get a peek before we disembark (and after the cabin has been vacated) our TA in October.

On my second cruise I noticed when waiting to get off the ship, the stewards have all the room doors of empty rooms open. If I wanted to see a room, I could simply walk by and look inside. I even walked in and looked. Thats when I found out most rooms are identical other than position on the ship. A 6 us basically a 6. 6A may be in a different location than a 6M, but other than that, the rooms are pretty much the same.

No need to disturb a neighbor.

No, I wouldnt do that and I wouldnt want anyone else to that to me either but its going to be a longtime before I can afford a pricey cabin that someone will be keen to check out :)

But on my first cruise last year, I do admit to slowly walking past the cabin opposite us as it was being cleaned for a quick glimpse (from the hallway) of what a cabin with a window looks like. We were in an inside cabin, and I was intrigued by what a cabin with natural light looked like :)

Edited by aussielozzie18

Sail7Seas -- While I can appreciate the untenable situation you found yourself in, I think that I would have reported the room steward. My immediate reaction would have been -- how many others' trust has he betrayed by parading people through that suite, when he thought nobody would catch him? :eek: And, I definitely would have reported the Steiner!

Bottom line: Celebrity (or any other cruiseline) doesn't need employees like that!

Same here. I would have not hesitated to report him. Allowing strangers into MY room is a gross betrayal of trust. How do I know these people weren't searching for valuables they could steal. With two people involved, one could distract the steward while the other one pocketed your phone, your wallet, your passport, etc.

I would not have appreciated such an invasion of my privacy and I would not have timidly allowed it to happen without complaint. What I find equally disturbing is that at least one person would allow this to happen because they thought it was too much bother to complain. The result is they are enabling the steward's bad behavior by giving him the idea that his actions were not wrong, and are complicit in any future actions of this type by that steward.

Edited by fortinweb

I'd throw it away without response.

If I wanted to see that cabin that much, I would have booked it!

NEVER. I would consider it the height of rudeness.

Nor would we ever let a stranger into our cabin...even one who claimed he or she just wanted to look around.

Lots of pictures on cruise line web sites and sites like CC or sign up for a cabin crawl.

Edited by iancal

Absolutely not! To me, that's the same as knocking on the door of a complete stranger's home just because you wanted to see their kitchen!

My neighbor had someone do this shortly after they moved in. The builder had been talking about some of the upgrades they had added to their kitchen, and instead of setting up a tour with the builder, this couple just showed up at their doorstep. If the visit had been pre-arranged with the builder, she would have welcomed them, but she had a three week old baby, three dogs, and two other children in the house, she wouldn't even open the door and wasn't amused.

Through (and with) the builder we had someone come to see what we had done with one of the bathrooms after we moved in, we were happy to let the couple take a look. If they had just knocked on the door, no way.

No, I would never do this, and I would never let a stranger into my cabin! It is something to be friendly and warm and nice to complete strangers in public areas, but it is totally crossing the line wanting to walk into their private cabin. That is a recipe for disaster in my opinion. There are cabin crawls that people organize in roll calls, I think that is something a bit more appropriate to do when it is something that people agree to do as a group!

On my first cruise on the Carnival Valor on embarkation day,the room stewards dropped off the wrong luggage to our room. We looked at the luggage tag and went to the room down the hall and knocked lol.

If someone else's luggage turns up inside your cabin that is no laughing matter. You should immediately page your cabin steward and have him come to both remove it and be a witness to the fact that it is unopened. I wouldn't even touch the luggage tag; if it's not mine I don't want my fingerprints found on it. Carrying to the owner's cabin and knocking on their door to identify yourself as the party the bag was misdirected to is giving them carte blanche to claim that something valuable is missing from the bag.