Gatwick to central London?

Karen Lynn

I've searched a few pages and can't see anything relevant.

Anyone know best and cheapest way to get into London?

Thanks!

Train. There is a train station in the airport.....very easy to Victoria Station or other stops.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Edited by cruising grandma

Best,private car pickup.
Not for Gatwick to central London unless you have mobility difficulties or would find it difficult even to move your luggage on and off the train. In contrast to the train, the road journey from Gatwick to central London is like a trip through the seven circles of Hell. If I were to drive home via central London (instead of around the M25), I would halve the distance covered but double the time needed.

In contrast to the train, the road journey from Gatwick to central London is like a trip through the seven circles of Hell.

Cannot agree with this more. Once did it with PapaTwick at the wheel of a rental car. I still have nightmares about the backstreets of Streatham.

It's actually my daughter I'm asking for...and having not flown into Gatwick in some time I'm not sure if the most ideal routing!

Here's her hotel

St James's hotel

7-8 Park Place

St James's , London

SW1A 1LS

Thank you!

Then definitely Gatwick Express to Victoria, then either the tube to Green Park and a bit of a walk or a taxi to her hotel.

True the trip from Gatwick, which we would never fly into again, is hell by car.

At least you are picked up and do not have to handle any luggage and you sit comfortably while seeing more Indian restaurants than in India.

A little harsh! True, Gatwick has it's faults, but I am sure that the more traveled members of this forum can give examples of many worse airports in the world. La Guardia for example, or Miami.

Can't argue with geography, although London is slightly bigger than Miami. Of course, the real issue is the 2 hours (or more) it takes us non-US citizens to pass through immigration in Miami.

Or indeed non-EU passengers at EU airports, notably Heathrow.

All of which is irrelevant flag-waving.

More to-the-point, we often use Gatwick, always by car.

Pretty easy.

But that's coming from the west.

I wouldn't dream of Gatwick to London by road.

An endless drive, almost all urban, almost all stacked with traffic.

I remember Croydon to central London years ago.

It's no better now.

Gatwick to London by train. No contest.

JB :)

Pretty easy.

It's no better now.

have you used/rated the Thameslink service between Gatwick and St Pancras?

It seems to be a better service with fewer connections than using Gatwick express and connecting via tube from Victoria but not if its an old uncomfortable train with poor luggage facilities

A little harsh! True, Gatwick has it's faults, but I am sure that the more traveled members of this forum can give examples of many worse airports in the world. La Guardia for example, or Miami.
I prefer Gatwick any day to Heathrow.
I think we need to distinguish between two things.

As an airport, Gatwick is fine. It has its moments, particularly during peak bucket-and-spade season, and there are some techie gripes that one could have with the way that its new owners are running it (which will one day become headlines when the media want a different target to kick), but generally it's fine.

However, the road journey from Gatwick to central London is terrible - and, I think, by universal acclaim.

have you used/rated the Thameslink service between Gatwick and St Pancras?

It seems to be a better service with fewer connections than using Gatwick express and connecting via tube from Victoria but not if its an old uncomfortable train with poor luggage facilities

I've often used this service, although more often to/from London Bridge or Blackfriars, and usually for work to/from other stations rather than for getting to/from Gatwick.

It's a commuter train, so don't expect luggage storage space. But if you avoid peak hours, there's plenty of space in which to improvise. If you're going to Kings Cross or St Pancras, there's really no good reason to take any other route.

Pretty easy.

It's no better now.

Sorry - not a well written post by myself. I was really commenting on the time it takes to pass through immigration in Miami compared to other US airports, not trying to wave the flag. Anyone who has to pass through Border Control at Stansted knows that the UK has its' own problems with queues.

Anyway, I think we all agree that driving from Gatwick into Central London is a 'no-no'

Sorry - not a well written post by myself. I was really commenting on the time it takes to pass through immigration in Miami compared to other US airports, not trying to wave the flag. Anyone who has to pass through Border Control at Stansted knows that the UK has its' own problems with queues.

Anyway, I think we all agree that driving from Gatwick into Central London is a 'no-no'

Understood :)

And yes, Gatwick to central London is a no-no by road. Especially from early-morning flights, mixing it with commuters.

I've often used this service, although more often to/from London Bridge or Blackfriars, and usually for work to/from other stations rather than for getting to/from Gatwick.

It's a commuter train, so don't expect luggage storage space. But if you avoid peak hours, there's plenty of space in which to improvise. If you're going to Kings Cross or St Pancras, there's really no good reason to take any other route.

It even worse at the moment, since the new owners have taken over they have had terrible staff shortages that lead to train cancellations.

They do not expect to have enough drivers trained to fully cover their timetable until next Easter according to reports from Hertfordshire council.

Edited by Hatters cruiser

Hi,

Tickets in the UK are a complex nightmare with pricing all over the place, it's easy to pay over the top on this route.

If your daughter is travelling on the train after the morning peak, there are many cheaper options. What time is she due to land, and is she travelling in a group with friends?

I work over this route, if you tell me a few details, I will tell you what to go for ticket wise. For instance, you can pay a small supplement on a single ticket, and get the tubes included for the whole day, also, there are group travel tickets for 3 or more people which are cheaper.

Happy to help you out if I can

Scarlet

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Tickets in the UK are a complex nightmare with pricing all over the place, it's easy to pay over the top on this route.

If your daughter is travelling on the train after the morning peak, there are many cheaper options. What time is she due to land, and is she travelling in a group with friends?

I work over this route, if you tell me a few details, I will tell you what to go for ticket wise. For instance, you can pay a small supplement on a single ticket, and get the tubes included for the whole day, also, there are group travel tickets for 3 or more people which are cheaper.

Happy to help you out if I can

Scarlet

I would be interested in hearing your options. We have always used the Gatwick Express to Victorial Station and have found it to be very convenient and not unreasonably priced. We will be again flying into Gatwick in May with luggage, for a crossing on the QM2. Usually we don't travel with large suitcases, however, so any alternative suggestions would be welcome.

Hi

Tampa girl

I think if you are happy with the gatwick express service and it suits your needs, it's a good way to go. The discussion above was looking at trying to keep costs very low for somebody's Young relatives visiting London. Really, if you are coming in and simply transferring to a coach at victoria then the gatwick express is going to do you as well as anything else will.

One thing to bear in mind, if you book a first class anytime return ticket on gatwick express, you get free access to the no 1 traveller lounge at gatwick airport, which is a useful perk.

Scarlet