Walkie Talkies

dm9102

I am looking for a brand name of walkie talkies to use on a cruise. There is a large group of us going on a cruise in April 2017. We do not want to purchase the ships cell phone package. I know several cruisers do not like the use of walkie talkies but I am looking for something specific.

To be used by adults with the fellow cruisers respect.

Vibrate mode a must.

Text message capabilities.

No license needed for use.

Will hold a battery for at least 8 hours.

Works on cruise ships.

If any one knows of a brand and model number the information would greatly be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am looking for a brand name of walkie talkies to use on a cruise. There is a large group of us going on a cruise in April 2017. We do not want to purchase the ships cell phone package. I know several cruisers do not like the use of walkie talkies but I am looking for something specific.

Vibrate mode a must.

Works on cruise ships.

If any one knows of a brand and model number the information would greatly be appreciated.

Part of the reason they annoy other passengers is because they often don't work very well on a big metal ship, causing lots of repeating and shouting.

Edited by lisiamc

Vibrate mode a must. Only available on consumer/recreational radios

Text message capabilities.Also only on recreational radios

No license needed for use. Again, only FRS radios don't require a license, even GMRS ones do

Will hold a battery for at least 8 hours. For any radio, this depends on how much transmission time there is

Works on cruise ships.No recreational radio works well.

Motorola RDU 4100, at $279 each would be the bottom line to meet your "works on cruise ship" criteria, but for shipwide coverage you would have to find the frequencies the ship uses and piggyback off their repeater antenna.

As has been said, pretty much every consumer walkie-talkie will not work on a ship because the large quantity of metal will absorb any signal you can muster.

I would instead recommend using the cabin's voice mail system, and notes. With very little planning, you can schedule meetups at specific times at specific places. The ship may be big, but it is not so big that you cannot find each other.

Also think about what you might use the walkie-talkies for... Is it to be able to find people so that you can meet for specific events? If that is the case, those who are interested in that event will meet there.

Vibrate mode a must.

Works on cruise ships.

Motorola RDU 4100, at $279 each would be the bottom line to meet your "works on cruise ship" criteria, but for shipwide coverage you would have to find the frequencies the ship uses and piggyback off their repeater antenna.

OP, This is the answer. this is THE GUY who knows ships...

Vibrate mode a must.

Works on cruise ships.

OP, This is the answer. this is THE GUY who knows ships...

Edited by Elaine5715

I am looking for a brand name of walkie talkies to use on a cruise.

Having been there and done it you will find researching, purchasing, and trying to use them to be a complete waste of time.

For me personally, I have no interest whatsoever in keeping in communication with anyone on my cruise, and that includes my SO.

To the OP, some cruise lines offer a smartphone app at no charge that provides messaging capabilities between passengers. You do not have to buy cellphone coverage or internet minutes from the ship. I know Princess offers it, and I have to believe that other lines do, also. Cruise Critic has forums specific to each cruise line. Go to the forum for the cruise line you are taking and ask about such a capability on your cruise. On that forum, there will be lots of regular participants who will be about to help you out.

As has been said, pretty much every consumer walkie-talkie will not work on a ship because the large quantity of metal will absorb any signal you can muster.

I would instead recommend using the cabin's voice mail system, and notes. With very little planning, you can schedule meetups at specific times at specific places. The ship may be big, but it is not so big that you cannot find each other.

Also think about what you might use the walkie-talkies for... Is it to be able to find people so that you can meet for specific events? If that is the case, those who are interested in that event will meet there.

this. On our last cruise, my teen, hubby and I were doing different things during the day and would use the pad of paper on the desk in the cabin. Worked fine.

Many people will look over the ship's newsletter that is usually distributed the night before and discuss possible activities.

But something to consider: even those going in a group may not wish to be joined at the hip on the ship. If some wish to meet for a meal, make those plans ahead of time, but respect the wishes of a couple who might want a quiet meal for two at times.

Vibrate mode a must.

Works on cruise ships.

It has been at least 2 weeks since we have had an extended thread on this topic. There are hundreds of thread on CC on the topic. The answer is always the same - DON'T BRING THEM.

DON