Pill Boxes?

Lois R

Hi.....for those of you who travel with medications, where do you find

a pillbox? Is it something Target would carry? Or that type of store?

Yes, Target as well as any pharmacy. Just make sure the compartments are big enough for the size of the pills and how many you must take each day. There are all sorts available. One that carries a week's worth is usually enough but it's also a good idea to carry a few extra days worth in case you get delayed somewhere.

Edited by iheartbda

If you are a AAA member they have them. Also Container Store.

Or you could re-purpose a small cheap plastic craft/bead storage container from Joann's Fabric like I did. :D

We also use snack size ziplock baggies for the bigger items such as gummy vitamins.

Hi Lois, my DH takes meds 4 times a day, We got the pill holders at Wal-Mart, and yes we also take a few days extra meds also. We also take a print out of the meds, Dr. Name, and any pertinent Info that might be needed in a emergency, including where we fill the meds and phone numbers for that.

Hope this helps

Cori

My husband and I use weekly pill holders at home (from Walmart, Target, Amazon) but when we travel we prefer pill bags - esp my husband who also likes to include a plastic dental pick in his daily pill bags he makes up prior to travel. You can find these at Walmart, any drug store, or Amazon as well. The plastic container/boxes we use at home sometimes open and they're bulky - neither attributes I appreciate when I'm traveling:D

[while my husband prefers to make up daily bags, I prefer to put all my pills of one type in a single bag - but I'm not taking daily prescription medicine other than OC so it's not as important for me - if I happen to miss a day of claritin or fish oil, I won't die.]

My husband and I use weekly pill holders at home (from Walmart, Target, Amazon) but when we travel we prefer pill bags - esp my husband who also likes to include a plastic dental pick in his daily pill bags he makes up prior to travel. You can find these at Walmart, any drug store, or Amazon as well. The plastic container/boxes we use at home sometimes open and they're bulky - neither attributes I appreciate when I'm traveling:D

[while my husband prefers to make up daily bags, I prefer to put all my pills of one type in a single bag - but I'm not taking daily prescription medicine other than OC so it's not as important for me - if I happen to miss a day of claritin or fish oil, I won't die.]

Just an FYI...if you go into the craft department at Walmart you can get the same bags for for a lot less. I pay around 1.00-2.00 for a pack of 100 in the craft department and they come in different sizes.

I myself, just ask CVS for a extra labled bottle to put enough in for vacation, that way all the information is on the bottle and such if needed and don't have to remember anything or take extra papers about it.

No one has mentioned the dollar store! Nothing wrong with those pill boxes..................

In other words, one can find them most anywhere at any price.:)

I use a craft box that is about 6"x8" with adjustable compartments that my jewelry fits in but my good stuff always stays with me.

Sorry, Lois, for going off topic.;)

Just an FYI...if you go into the craft department at Walmart you can get the same bags for for a lot less. I pay around 1.00-2.00 for a pack of 100 in the craft department and they come in different sizes.

I myself, just ask CVS for a extra labled bottle to put enough in for vacation, that way all the information is on the bottle and such if needed and don't have to remember anything or take extra papers about it.

Be careful of the craft ziplock bags, many aren't rated for food. Different formulas for food baggies.

I get small ziplocks at Daiso. Many different sizes, only a couple are food rated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Out of curiosity, I checked Amazon (they're amazing).

Pill Boxes: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apill+holders&keywords=pill+holders&ie=UTF8&qid=1471543397&spIA=B009KQ4F1K,B00O89Q5CQ,B01F4BVTY0,B01F7K6JNY,B00G2SL3P0,B017VNO8JM,B01FYG1NE6,B00GOZDM6O,B01G0NW5Z8,B01EP4L9QA,B01EP4L9O2,B00NQHKHO8,B01CO681XA,B01EP4L9OM,B00N5SBVHK,B01CO681SA,B009OM6QSA,B016PMFWWC,B01B3MHORU,B01F6AIRZS

Pill Bags: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pill+bags&sprefix=pill+bag%2Caps%2C425&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apill+bags

I was just looking in my local drug store the other day at the pill boxes, wondering if I should get some for camping. But decided they're too expensive there. I use those very small Tupperware containers for our daily vitamins when we're camping. But that's not what you're looking for.

Good luck shopping! And take care Lois! ;)

Be careful of the craft ziplock bags, many aren't rated for food. Different formulas for food baggies.

We have both. I prefer the "true" pill bags as there's a spot to write on (an opaque area on the plastic) so husband can label dates etc. And they're a little larger than the craft bags I have, which he needs for his dental pick;)

Re: the plastic boxes - maybe mine's cheap, maybe it's old - but they definitely open when I don't want them to and I've picked up pills from the bathroom floor on more than one occasion. And mine is certainly larger than fits into my travel bags. You have one that works for you - that's fantastic. The one I have at home is not my choice for travel, and I've found I prefer the bags to finding another hard plastic option that would work for me for travel ;-)

Edited by Hoyaheel

Luckily, I only take thyroid medication, so I just bring that in original bottle. Now all my gummies are a different story. I take 8 different kinds (2each a day) and I'm glad somebody mentioned the pill bags. I will definitely get some of those.

I thought about just packing the bottles in one of my packing cubes, since I will be gone for 36 days, but I will just dump them all in the bags.

Don't forget something 'purse sized' - while loading up for travel is good - I often need one or 2 pills to take with me for 'daytime' use - so I also have a tiny plastic pill box/case that fits in my purse - I add some prescription meds and a couple of tylenol/advil/benadryl (or whatever) in case I need these when I am out and about :)

Edited by Froufie

Guest maddycat

I find a good selection and the best prices at Harmon Drugs (Face Values) using Bed Bath & Beyond coupons. Harmon has free standing stores and stores within BB&B, at least in my area in Northern NJ.

Edited by maddycat

Thank you all again for the suggestions. Maybe they can help others too.

I just realized something, my pills come in their boxes.......it is the meds

for the leukemia....so now that asked about pill bottles I think I will probably

just leave them in their own box.

Sandy, Amazon is pretty amazing...they seem to carry EVERYTHING;)

When I use one of the plastic 7 day pill boxes, I wrap it in plastic wrap and tape it. When I get to my destination, off comes the plastic. The covers can't accidentally catch on something and open.

I save the paper or plastic bags a prescription comes in. I use these for taking my soft calcium chews or any small items that could easily get lost. The last day of the trip, I toss the bag.

If you go to a health fair, art exhibit, etc. and there is a booth from a hospital or medical setting, many times they give away free items such as pill boxes, small packages of band aids, hand sanitizer, small first aid kits. I keep some of these items for travel.

Edited by WELDON

I have two pill holders from Vera Bradley. One (old style) has three little containers in a zip-up case, and the other one (current style) has a container with 8 little sections (for a week's worth of pills and some extras). It also comes in the zip-up case, which eliminates the problem of the lids popping open.

Depending on the trip, I take one of those.